Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

it's all going to plan so far 

Love it when a plan comes together...........................👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I'll leave the turret escape hatch open

6th picture posted, there's a sink mark (at least it looks like a sink mark?) on the end of the locking bar bracket, looks to me like the kinda thing that shouldn't be there maybe? and will show up like a sore thumb if you leave the hatch open.

Not a criticism, just an observation, nice progress as always :)

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

6th picture posted, there's a sink mark (at least it looks like a sink mark?) on the end of the locking bar bracket, looks to me like the kinda thing that shouldn't be there maybe? and will show up like a sore thumb if you leave the hatch open.

Not a criticism, just an observation, nice progress as always :)

Matt

Only saw that after I posted the picture Matt, I’ll sort it out tomorrow. Amazing how you miss things and the camera picks them up :frantic:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Amazing how you miss things and the camera picks them up

I keep missing things. Even posted a RFI before spotting something that needed correction! :sad:

But I find posting WIPs really helpful with picking up things that need adjustment.

Edited by echen
  • Like 4

On 20/03/2021 at 18:44, Pig of the Week said:

Here's a site with some Abt 101 details..... https://abteilung101.ucoz.net/index/ss_s_pz_abt_101/0-18

Good morning everyone! Not an April Fool here!!!

Can I ask one more question, please?

I have loved reading about specific details here, particularly the names of commanders. Thanks very much for those details as they were exactly the kind of information I was after.

I have added the decals 321 to my Tiger and the build is looking good so far.

I’ve picked up a few figures but one that caught my eye was Dragon’s 1:16 Sturmbannfuhrer Ardennes 1944 from their warrior series. 

http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA1602

Would he be an appropriate figure to be in the tank? 

Thanks for direction fellow Britmodellers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Great Escape said:

I’ve picked up a few figures but one that caught my eye was Dragon’s 1:16 Sturmbannfuhrer Ardennes 1944 from their warrior series

Yep piggy 2 is correct he is infantry officer not tank crew........ is it 16th scale you need ? might be able to make some suggestions if you like B)

So while listening to Tigers in the mud by Otto Carius i thought it might be time to whitewash the outer wheels and turret of 100..........again as i did with the hull the grey on the turret was protected with a light coat of Humbrol matt enamel clear coat as were the wheels......then heavy chipping fluid after 25 mins drying time the washable whitewash was applied this was allowed to get touch dry and then with a damp brush i started straight away with the removal of the wash in some key areas............ this technique has been very predictable and fairly precise and have to say looking forward to doing another winter subject........tracks have had a going over ..these are mirror tracks as Tiger 100 was one of a very few Tigers to wear mirrors....more pigments to be added and i'm currently thinking about how to do a little snow as this Tiger will go on a small base...........any recommendations for an effective snow product or home brew solution welcome.....something that won't turn yellow

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Looking v nice Mr Pigg...

ps. ..if ye dinna want yer snow te turn yella...dinna pish on it...

pps. There's a firm called Precision Ice and Snow that make specific modeller's snow effects, and I've heard good reports of their stuff..unfortunately you have to get it from Holland /EU so no doubt all the import crapp adds to the cost...

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pig of the Week said:

The guy reviewing it is doing stuff in 00 gauge ( 1/76 or 1/72 scale) and looks great, so I'd imagine in 1/35 you could do great things...I'm even thinking.."hmmm snow.." meself now too !!

Just jumped on there website.......having a read now as the Tiger is not far from done......a day or two to finish the wheels and two to three days for the turret....and a couple of days to do an appropriate figure for scale....should be able to find something on there site and get it by then

31 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Snow, have you looked at Microballoons, cheap and easy to use? 

Also having a look into these.......... thanks bud

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Snowww..!  and there's a Tiger 1 in the 2nd fillum... :)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Love the blurb on the cover....."The best Nazi zombie movie ever made" .... wtf why how many have been made then :rofl:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Love the blurb on the cover....."The best Nazi zombie movie ever made" .... wtf why how many have been made then :rofl:

Actually one or two more..! 

Outpost Black Sun...

Frankensteins Army..

Iron Sky 2, the Coming Race..

.Outpost 3, Rise of the Speznatz...   :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well, at least two :D The first is a good zombie film. The second is a crazy zombie war film - our surviving heroes resurrect a Russian unit to fight the Germans. Cue an hour of freezing zombie on zombie action. Made in Norway, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Andy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

recommendations for an effective snow product or home brew solution welcome.....something that won't turn yellow

@Nanond used Tamiya Powder Snow Effect on the tracks of his Wespe, which I thought looked really good

I have no idea whether it goes yellow over time though, and Microballoons has a very good reputation, lots of people seem to rave about it.

Matt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

@Nanond used Tamiya Powder Snow Effect on the tracks of his Wespe, which I thought looked really good

I have no idea whether it goes yellow over time though, and Microballoons has a very good reputation, lots of people seem to rave about it.

Matt

What a lovely build.....top to bottom that looks great.

Weathering still has some small adjustments needed and some mud and snow effects still to be done .............but honestly.........well..............i just don't know what to think about this:unsure:

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Weathering still has some small adjustments needed and some mud and snow effects still to be done .............but honestly.........well..............i just don't know what to think about this:unsure:

Sorry, I'm not following. I can't see a single thing there not to be happy about. Wonderful detail, superb paint and a unique take on the early Tiger. Plus it's got 502nd's mammoths on, that's always a bonus :) The only thing I'm waiting for is whatever is sticking out of that turret bin to keep the lid open.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1