Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

44 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Now crack on and let's see some more progress 😉👍

Steady on Andy, last night was obviously a blue moon and I doubt we'll see another for a good few months!

46 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Pic's look great to me Steve and the quality of your work is superb 

We've had this conversation before Andy,  don't pander to him, you'll come across as needy!🤫😉

I suspect his head is growing as we speak!

• Haha 3

Decided to have a go at the Tiger tracks.

The destructions are as follows.

y4mlAgCNaVRTlaV7FnRGwNrcr6vSXlHWIKFBDXa8

I decided to cement the road-wheels leaving the sprocket and idler to rotate. Glad I didn't go for the removable wheels! Every time I move the hull either the sprocket or idler falls off.

y4mAu5HvkcjJscUOMCPG6uIj_rvtNAvmq3qucdGtSo the wheels are fixed in place.

Next step is to add the indy links to the sprocket and idler. This got off to a flying flop as the teeth on the outer rim meant the links went on at an angle if they went on at all.

I removed most of the outer teeth leaving only a stub as there's a recess in the links.

y4m64pyoFE60I6LGvmkxmGkptVevXrP2fNhwgAcJ And went on to fit the required number, 8 on each wheel.

There seems to be a problem with the destructions

y4mDpKXpudpL2q4qb7Mv2cMdABrJWfsENW-DXArC

The top track run is too short to accomadate the three lengths specified. Thankfully I dry-fitted before I went to town with trying to fix all three!

Posting the last pic above I just noticed a big muck-up. I should only have removed 8 outer sprocket rim teeth...............................that's really going to bug me now!

Still, onwards and upwards as they say, and this is only my second attempt at link and length.🤫😢

• Like 7

Would you believe it Dan's off!

Nice start, those shackles look great!

Bet it took a bit of time to get this far, torsion bars, swinging arms, falr pack hull, or is it a tub?

I know with the RFM Tiger it seamed to take ages to get to this stage.

Atb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, echen said:

The top track run is too short to accomadate the three lengths specified. Thankfully I dry-fitted before I went to town with trying to fix all three!

Posting the last pic above I just noticed a big muck-up. I should only have removed 8 outer sprocket rim teeth...............................that's really going to bug me now!

Still, onwards and upwards as they say, and this is only my second attempt at link and length.🤫😢

That looks a right pain!

Good luck with them, sure with a bit of perseverance it come together. 🤞

Atb

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

That looks a right pain!

Good luck with them, sure with a bit of perseverance it come together. 🤞

Atb

Thanks mate. When i saw what I'd done to the sprocket I nearly gave up but mud covers a multitude of muckups. There are quite a lot of spare indy links as well as the two spare lengths so, hopefully, I'll be able to complete both runs. We'll see.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

That looks a right pain!

"Right pain" is an understatement! 😱

Spent all afternoon working on finishing the tracks. Came very close to giving it a flying lesson in the general direction of the nearest bin. Ended up with somewhat iffy running gear for my Tiger.

Looks like it's been swanning round a minefield!

Several sections and individual links have been off and on several times but it's still been impossible to line them up properly. The right-hand top run of the track aligns with the sprocket and the idler. The bottom run aligns with the sprocket but, when it reaches the links round the idler it's offset.

y4mo-MPxM2peFqp-Vdh2ESTSeXIklwJupFltYQme

y4mixGLOShlVicfI-nYRvlw3jbhQabZix0Ea41T4

y4mFrEwIsO2T_ytUJ98OJ7UoMs3uc4GNZB4f3Txd

Managed to get cement on a finger somewhere and dolloped it on the side. Fortunately it dried quick and sanded off. Hadn't finished painting the base coat so the damage will get recovered in due course.

y4m5Vt1pH0lHVqwjrRSW1z2tShiIUT3GU__hAVRj

Maybe I should take up tiddly-winks as a hobby instead.........................

Or just add bucket loads of mud.

Edited by echen
correction
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, echen said:

Are 1/72 workable tracks available?

I don't know if these are workable, and I have no idea what it's like to buy from them, but OKB Grigorov do replacement 1/72 track sets;

http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/category/22/tiger-i.html

http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/product/290/1-72-tracks-for-pz-vi-tiger-i-early.html

1 hour ago, echen said:

Go for the mud - more fun!!

Keith

24 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I was pretty sure I have seen them being used. I may have dreamed that they exist so I will go and check.

Thanks mate. I was just having a gander too. The ones I've found are the same price I paid for the kit in the first place. I'll have to see what Father Christmas brings.

1 hour ago, echen said:

Tbh it's just practice and experience.

What it have been possible to fit the tracks prior to mounting the upper hull allowing easier access?

Link and length tracks can be a pain anyway and then add the multitude of road wheels as found on a tiger,  perhaps not the easiest of set ups..

Done it now and any little discrepancies can always be disguised! 1👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, echen said:

Thanks mate. I was just having a gander too. The ones I've found are the same price I paid for the kit in the first place. I'll have to see what Father Christmas brings.

It was the OKB ones that I saw and you are right in that the cost is prohibitve. Apologies for that. At least I wasn't going mad.😀

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

At least I wasn't going mad.

Always a relief to find something like that about oneself!😀

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

What it have been possible to fit the tracks prior to mounting the upper hull allowing easier access?

It does make it easier as I built the Revell KT recently.

It was easier than the Tiger 1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

That's a very nice build you have going there, is the jack block balsa wood/real wood? looks very good.

Yes it is balsa.......thought i would see how it looked...was fairly happy so might do that again for the other Tigers and Panthers waiting in the pile. Well spotted Matt :thanks:

• Like 1

A question for the Tiger experts, the Mid command version I have tells you to use a mantlet with no Co-ax MG. I cannot find any ref that shows this, I think David B @DByrdenmentioned this being wrong?  You get I think mantlets in the kit so I can use one with the co-ax no problem but I just want to check before I start gluing up. 

Any pointers chaps? 

12 hours ago, Dads203 said:

the Mid command version I have tells you to use a mantlet with no Co-ax MG. I cannot find any ref that shows this, I think David B @DByrdenmentioned this being wrong?  You get I think mantlets in the kit so I can use one with the co-ax no problem but I just want to check before I start gluing up. 

This might help - https://tiger1.info/models/products-page/CH6660 

I think he's saying to use the flat face mantlet and then just plug the MG hole 🤔

Matt

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

This might help - https://tiger1.info/models/products-page/CH6660 

I think he's saying to use the flat face mantlet and then just plug the MG hole 🤔

Matt

Cheers Matt, found it ;) 

I'll just plug the MG hole and Job - Jobbed !! 

P1090591

Here is where I'm at currently 

P1090592

P1090590

P1090593

Cheers 

• Like 11