Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I'm in Crook, a small town between Durham and Darlington up in the North East. 

Andy

That's a shame if you were closer to me I would have dropped you off everything you need to get started in the airbrush world , airbrush, compressor and all the other do dads required to get you going. Post is an option but I don't know how much it would cost being a heavy parcel. Anyway if in the future you decide you don't mind going the second hand route you can have the lot free of charge other than covering the postage costs 🙂👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

That's a shame if you were closer to me I would have dropped you off everything you need to get started in the airbrush world , airbrush, compressor and all the other do dads required to get you going. Post is an option but I don't know how much it would cost being a heavy parcel. Anyway if in the future you decide you don't mind going the second hand route you can have the lot free of charge other than covering the postage costs 🙂👍

Wow, that's a very generus offer. What a gentleman :)

T'other Andy

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Adding to the parcel sub thread I've opened the PayPal wallet today and spent.....

Not even bought a kit, even though still contemplating Tiki or a Chally II, but 9, yep 9 sets off Fruils....

Its Andy Js fault, his reckless abandon when it comes to spending is rubbing off!!

Not desperately exciting to open but nice to have...

Maybe you should remove the ceilings altogether Darryl it will only get worse from now on.....😁😉👍

• Haha 4

Well Tiki turned up, I was just about to give up after waiting all day for the knock on the door, then at 20 to 5 there it was. :yahoo:  Well worth it, there are a lot of new parts, but it's not a special edition, the small decal sheet just covers 3 options with the name Tiki and a winter whitewash scheme.  I will have a good look through what's in the box and report back. :like:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

Wow, that's a very generus offer. What a gentleman :)

T'other Andy

It's a real offer Andy open to you anytime you want. So I'm now the Special Sensible Generous One.....about right methinks 🤔👍

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Well Tiki turned up, I was just about to give up after waiting all day for the knock on the door, then at 20 to 5 there it was. :yahoo:  Well worth it, there are a lot of new parts, but it's not a special edition, the small decal sheet just covers 3 options with the name Tiki and a winter whitewash scheme.  I will have a good look through what's in the box and report back. :like:

That should cover every scheme she wore. She survived Kkarkov and Kursk but was knocked out later that same summer.

Andy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Someone's excited Bob...good for you mate 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, A.R.1989 said:

Cheers guys. Your all very welcoming. I will add some photos once I work out how to do it.

Posting photos was the most difficult thing I found on joining this site, I thought it would be like adding a photo or attachment to an email but it's not, you have to open an account with a service like Flickr (that's the one I use)  You can join and get the first 1,000 photos in your account for free, once you have done that I can explain how to get them on your posts. :winkgrin:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

That should cover every scheme she wore. She survived Kkarkov and Kursk but was knocked out later that same summer.

As usual with a Dragon kit there are a lot of spare options in the box, I would go as far as saying there are more main gun mantlets than you can shake a stick at.  I'll see what options I have along with what's in my decal collection. :winkgrin:

16 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Someone's excited Bob...good for you mate 👍 

First model of the year and despite what I keep saying about having too many kits, not the last. :wicked:

• Haha 4

Will some stop rattling on about little Miss Tiki!

I've a couple of sets of Fruils coming in search of an early Tiger...

Bad influence the lot of you! 😖🤔  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I've a couple of sets of Fruils coming in search of an early Tiger...

Those track links with cheap wire holding them together?  instead of proper track pins. :wicked:

26 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Will some stop rattling on about little Miss Tiki!

Good job an early Tiger was delivered today as I was degreasing a set of early Tiger tracks made up with nice track pins, all ready now to be burnished and looking for a Tiger to be fitted to. :whistle:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Those track links with cheap wire holding them together?  instead of proper track pins. :wicked:

Good job an early Tiger was delivered today as I was degreasing a set of early Tiger tracks made up with nice track pins, all ready now to be burnished and looking for a Tiger to be fitted to. :whistle:

The cheap wire that gets dissolved by the burnishing fluid....

Still holding out for one of Dragons other early Tigers, Kharkov, Wittmann, whatever..🤞

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

The cheap wire that gets dissolved by the burnishing fluid....

The last set of Fruils that I bought had a brass coloured wire but it was too hard to be brass, but it wasn't affected by the burnishing fluid. :phew:

• Like 1

I’m getting close on the M10 now so I’m starting to think about my entry on this fantastic unofficial group build, now I’m wanting to have a crack at a mid version  but don’t have one in the stash. 

Anyone got a Dragon Mid that they want to swap for a late? I have the first release boxing 6253 will all the bits that they skimped on with the later boxing’s, they are going for good coin on the second had market ;)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I’m getting close on the M10 now so I’m starting to think about my entry on this fantastic unofficial group build,

The more the merrier mate be excellent to have you aboard for some fun and abuse :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The last set of Fruils that I bought had a brass coloured wire but it was too hard to be brass, but it wasn't affected by the burnishing fluid. 

All my sets have the brass wire and have to say i have never had problems with burnishing fluid eating the pins but then i'm pretty sure most people are using the fluid straight from the bottle ...most of these fluids recommend watering it down so it doesn't attack the pins so aggressively and so you get a more consistent burnish........of course you could always burnish before putting them together...solves the problem instantly :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

The last set of Fruils that I bought had a brass coloured wire but it was too hard to be brass, but it wasn't affected by the burnishing fluid. :phew:

Great wire, as far as I can tell just brass wire, at least it retains its rigidity and and does what it has too.

Even with half strength watered down fluid I can dissolve the little blighters, it's one of many enviable skills....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Andy J said:

So I'm now the Special Sensible Generous One.....about right methinks

In all seriousness, that's exactly right - I've still got 4 very nice Group C racing car models to build that the Special Sensible Generous One sent me  for nowt - and for which I am still extremely grateful as I couldn't have afforded ebay prices for them on my pension..... :)

Cheers Andy.... :thumbsup:

K

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

In all seriousness, that's exactly right - I've still got 4 very nice Group C racing car models to build that the Special Sensible Generous One sent me - and for which I am still extremely grateful as I couldn't have afforded ebay prices for them on my pension..... :)

Cheers Andy.... :thumbsup:

K

Special Sensible Extremely Generous One hmm just gets better 🤔 You're welcome Keith what are friends for 😉👍

• Like 1

@Retired Bob Bob was it you that said you had Dragon kit 6252 initial Tiger....if so bud could you take a photo of part... K6.... for me as close up as you can and from above side and front..........thanks in advance ....trying to figure out what this part was actually used for. 

50879722048_81bb94230b_b.jpg 50880433641_fe9f8aeaf9_b.jpg 50880432171_715f62bd33_b.jpg 50880536707_2662bf4121_b.jpg 50880538492_d648b14ec8_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433276_5a17c836cf_b.jpg 50880433621_76b41e5c1c_b.jpg 50879721278_ca7cfb0942_b.jpg 50880433381_c2a89111e1_b.jpg 50880538322_9223050580_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433386_b692661fb1_b.jpg

Morning all, 

above are the photos of my WIP Mid Tiger from SPzAbt 506. The Tiger no.7 is purely fictional as no photos exist of the 7th tiger from the first company so I have used some artistic licence. The weathering/mud still needs to be finished as it’s going into a diorama. It will be fairly beaten up as the regiment changed their mid tigers for late tigers with steel wheels in the spring of 44 following a full winters fighting in the Ukraine. 

Thanks for being so welcoming and I appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. 

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, A.R.1989 said:

50879722048_81bb94230b_b.jpg 50880433641_fe9f8aeaf9_b.jpg 50880432171_715f62bd33_b.jpg 50880536707_2662bf4121_b.jpg 50880538492_d648b14ec8_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433276_5a17c836cf_b.jpg 50880433621_76b41e5c1c_b.jpg 50879721278_ca7cfb0942_b.jpg 50880433381_c2a89111e1_b.jpg 50880538322_9223050580_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433386_b692661fb1_b.jpg

Morning all, 

above are the photos of my WIP Mid Tiger from SPzAbt 506. The Tiger no.7 is purely fictional as no photos exist of the 7th tiger from the first company so I have used some artistic licence. The weathering/mud still needs to be finished as it’s going into a diorama. It will be fairly beaten up as the regiment changed their mid tigers for late tigers with steel wheels in the spring of 44 following a full winters fighting in the Ukraine. 

Thanks for being so welcoming and I appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. 

Wow that looks excellent well done indeed 👍 👏. I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is painted with Tamiya Acrylics possibly 🤔

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Wow that looks excellent well done indeed 👍 👏. I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is painted with Tamiya Acrylics possibly 🤔

Yep all done with Tamiya acrylics. lacquer thinner to get the flatter and level finish on the primer and shadow coat and then x20a for the dark yellow and rotbraun as it’s easier to work for the hairspray chipping. Then given a wash with the German dark yellow wash from AK to bring out the Zim. The rest is just pin washes and dot filters and custom mixes for oil and streaking effects. 

I had a nightmare with the tracks. Not a fan of fruils as it took me 9 hours to clean them up, drill them out and put them together only for the burnishing fluid to have some strange reaction. 15 minutes in solution and they looked like they had been left in a field for 75 years. They came out with some strange copper effect that I had to brush off and apply lots and lots of track wash to dull down. Hopefully mud will cover it but safe to say I won’t be using fruils anymore. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A.R.1989 said:

above are the photos of my WIP Mid Tiger from SPzAbt 506.

Great build 👏👏👏

And welcome to the forum

Edited by echen
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, A.R.1989 said:

Yep all done with Tamiya acrylics. lacquer thinner to get the flatter and level finish on the primer and shadow coat and then x20a for the dark yellow and rotbraun as it’s easier to work for the hairspray chipping. Then given a wash with the German dark yellow wash from AK to bring out the Zim. The rest is just pin washes and dot filters and custom mixes for oil and streaking effects. 

I had a nightmare with the tracks. Not a fan of fruils as it took me 9 hours to clean them up, drill them out and put them together only for the burnishing fluid to have some strange reaction. 15 minutes in solution and they looked like they had been left in a field for 75 years. They came out with some strange copper effect that I had to brush off and apply lots and lots of track wash to dull down. Hopefully mud will cover it but safe to say I won’t be using fruils anymore. 

Tamiya Acrylics tend to be more vivid than a lot of the water based paints and an enamel filter generally blends the colours together nicely. I think you may have received a poor set of fruils tbh as many people on here use them regularly without any major issues. Great work regardless of any track issues the Tiger looks great 👍 👌 👏