Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

I'd love to do something like that. I have decals for Wittmann's 1331 but no evidence his Tiger suffered that sort of damage. No reason I couldn't reverse the last two digits though and make it 1313, part of the same platoon as the tank above and then go to town on it. Phew, at last - I've gone through about a dozen potential schemes while I wasn't building anything.

Andy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, echen said:

Have you seen the method for Zimmerit of using thinned water-based wood filler? I saw a youtube video of it being done. Of course, now I can't find it so not very helpful......................

The results looked quite good.

Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QyGFQ_u0k in case anyone's looking for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, echen said:

Looking at the rear face of some of the wheels what looks like the edge of the tyre is a fraction of the profile of the outer edge. Does anyone know if "tyred" tiger wheels had a steel band round the inside edge to protect the rubber from the guide horns on the tracks?

Yes there was a raised edge to the wheel inner surface, it contacted the guide horn on the track links and protected the rubber tyre. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why-o-why would  it appear the only Dragon Tiger readily available at a decent price is Tiki, what's the one that doesn't really hold much appeal.....

If it had been Wittmans or the Kharkov boxing sure, great,.....I blame the blighter @Retired Bob for mentioning it yesterday after he bought one..... power of suggestion!

However a delivery of Alpine and friends finest has arrived today, never in my life would I have imagined spending soooooo much on figures. 😳

Anyway its Burns night.....any excuse for a dram or three!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Cost about £2, plus the embarrassment of hanging around in the needle work section of a hobby shop for half hour, which bumps the price in my book, those little old ladies have no understanding of the importance of 0.5mm on a pin diameter... lol ;)

I found it easier just to rummage in the wife's needle work box and "Borrow" some pins. :wicked:

But wait, I found that those R-Model pins can be used on Fruils, a bit labour intensive drilling out the holes but they can be made to work, I used some spare Fruil links and made up a couple of small runs, looks like I need another box of Fruil Tiger tracks. :hmmm:

IMG_1489

So £25 not wasted, £30+ for some Fruils and they can be used.....don't let SWMBO know. :fight:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

So £25 not wasted, £30+ for some Fruils and they can be used.....don't let SWMBO know.

I just spent best part of £200 with Fruil for various track sets...........i know how you feel if she finds out i will be found under the patio :poo:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Why-o-why would  it appear the only Dragon Tiger readily available at a decent price is Tiki, what's the one that doesn't really hold much appeal.....

If it had been Wittmans or the Kharkov boxing sure, great,.....I blame the blighter @Retired Bob for mentioning it yesterday after he bought one..... power of suggestion!

Well sorreee, but if Tiki is not what you want, do a search for tigers on ebay, there is a Wittman's Tiger and a Tunisian Tiger for sale, reasonable starting amount, just don't tell Andy. :whistle: 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

However a delivery of Alpine and friends finest has arrived today, never in my life would I have imagined spending soooooo much on figures. 😳

As Andy says you cannot take it with you.  Figures, another thing to spend your money on, my turn to blame someone, Lee told us about this book and the book recommended these paints:

IMG_1491

Need some more figures now....what's that noise....my credit card screaming, :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I just spent best part of £200 with Fruil for various track sets...........i know how you feel if she finds out i will be found under the patio :poo:

Yeah,  with the disturbing news about Fruil only doing direct sales and the on-going @#$% with importing stuff quite tempted to do similar!

It never just rains! 😱

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Well sorreee, but if Tiki is not what you want, do a search for tigers on ebay, there is a Wittman's Tiger and a Tunisian Tiger for sale, reasonable starting amount, just don't tell Andy. :whistle: 

Yeah, market forces come into play here, I do have them on watch though...🤞

For the love of God keep Andy off the web!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Techmod do an interesting sheet for early Tiger's that includes two of Wittman's tanks (1331 at Kursk and S04 in winter camo apart from the barrel which shows the kill markings). Just don't take the colours as gospel, they're often as wrong as a wrong thing on National Not-right Day 😕  I'm ging to butcher the 1/48 version for my beaten up 1313.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

If there is a sudden spike in the price...it's not going to be me. :fraidnot: just sayin.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

As Andy says you cannot take it with you.  Figures, another thing to spend your money on, my turn to blame someone, Lee told us about this book and the book recommended these paints:

Need some more figures now....what's that noise....my credit card screaming, :unsure:

I have the book but went for the Vallejo paint set... best I can say..improving but still some way to go!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

power of suggestion!

I came dangerously close to buying a Tiger kit yesterday, managed to resit though, just... this thread should come with a health/wallet warning :)

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Already got one don't need the other 😉👍. Looking at a new compressor atm the old one has developed a fault 🙄

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

IMG_1491

You're worse than me you crafty old sea dog 😂😂👍

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Yeah,  with the disturbing news about Fruil only doing direct sales and the on-going @#$% with importing stuff quite tempted to do similar!

It never just rains! 😱

Oh dear more ceiling repairs methinks 🙄👍

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Your safe my attention is now firmly directed on a new compressor....and maybe another airbrush to go with it 🤔 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I came dangerously close to buying a Tiger kit yesterday, managed to resit though, just... this thread should come with a health/wallet warning :)

I agree why oh why do people have to buy so many kits 🤔 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Yes there was a raised edge to the wheel inner surface, it contacted the guide horn on the track links and protected the rubber tyre. :winkgrin:

Got to paint some more circles then!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I was fortunate when I found this thread because I already had my part built Tiger 1 to add to the fray!😁

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Already got one don't need the other 😉👍. Looking at a new compressor atm the old one has developed a fault 🙄

Now a real modeller has more than one of something they like.  Some kits I have 4 or 5 of, because I want to make them with different markings. :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Now a real modeller has more than one of something they like.  Some kits I have 4 or 5 of, because I want to make them with different markings. :mental:

Hmm interesting 🤔. I guess that's why I already have 3 compressors and 11 air brushes 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hmm interesting 🤔. I guess that's why I already have 3 compressors and 11 air brushes 🙂👍

T'witch I say thank God I'm not needing either!

• Haha 2