Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Andy, that late version with the m/g mounted on top front was produced from June 44 so those made from that date until September 44 would have had zimmerit, those produced after September 44 until March 45 would not.  So depends on how you want your Grizzly Bear finished and from time period. :hmmm:

I'm thinking maybe it's time I tried my hand at creating zimmerit got to give it a go some time 🤔 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Bob you're a very bad man, I had absolutely no interest or intention of getting one, now I'm deep in contemplation....you sir are a bounder and a cad!

I had actually gone on the Hannant's site to check on Kinetic F-104 Starfighter kits and decals........only bought the Tiger though, and some T-34/76 barrels if it please Mil'ord. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

And that Gentlemen, and Andy J, is a sentence we must tell ourselves over and over again....😖

Ps, off topics but Jumblies is doing the new RFM Chally II with nearly £20 off....🤔😉🤫

Cheers Darryl, top tip. Some great prices on their site.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I had actually gone on the Hannant's site to check on Kinetic F-104 Starfighter kits and decals........only bought the Tiger though, and some T-34/76 barrels if it please Mil'ord. :wicked:

Hmm you never mentioned buying barrels earlier....I think you may have a spending problem 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Darryl, top tip. Some great prices on their site.👍

I know but that's exactly the opposite to what I'm trying encourage! 🙄

You should know by now Andy is on a hair trigger when it comes to things like this...

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I'm thinking maybe it's time I tried my hand at creating zimmerit got to give it a go some time 🤔 

The problem with using this model to learn how to apply zimmerit is that it has a large surface areas, if you use filler it dries quite quickly so you have to do small areas at a time spreading the filler in a smooth thin coating then use a tool to make the pattern, something with smaller surface areas would be easier to learn on. :unsure:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

The problem with using this model to learn how to apply zimmerit is that it has a large surface areas, if you use filler it dries quite quickly so you have to do small areas at a time spreading the filler in a smooth thin coating then use a tool to make the pattern, something with smaller surface areas would be easier to learn on. :unsure:

So are you suggesting I need to buy another kit 😉👍

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hmm you never mentioned buying barrels earlier....I think you may have a spending problem 😉👍

You only have to see my stash to realise that's true,

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So are you suggesting I need to buy another kit 😉👍

I might be, depends if you have something in your stash that is suitable for learning how to apply zimmerit. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

You only have to see my stash to realise that's true,

I might be, depends if you have something in your stash that is suitable for learning how to apply zimmerit. :winkgrin:

What would you recommend 🤔 

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

What would you recommend 🤔 

Cheapest option would be use some plastic card or an unused part from a finished kit,  a suggestion for a suitable kit would be a Panzer IV Ausf.H, that would have had zimm and has smaller areas that need it. :idea:

• Like 1

As someone already pointed out not all Brumbies had zim, and yeah Panzer IV is best for practice due to the smaller surface areas, or buy a zim kit.

Or watch this ;)

Matt

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

At least your high carbon pins will be cheaper than the £25+ for the Chinese ones that don't fit. :winkgrin:

Cost about £2, plus the embarrassment of hanging around in the needle work section of a hobby shop for half hour, which bumps the price in my book, those little old ladies have no understanding of the importance of 0.5mm on a pin diameter... lol ;)

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I know but that's exactly the opposite to what I'm trying encourage! 🙄

You should know by now Andy is on a hair trigger when it comes to things like this...

Too easily lead astray. One Challenger on its way to Hertfordshire.😳😀

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'm not saying there's a direct relationship, but I couldn't sleep last night and a Dragon early Tiger fell into my basket some time around 2am :whistle:

Andy

My witchcraft is working 😉👍

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'm not saying there's a direct relationship, but I couldn't sleep last night and a Dragon early Tiger fell into my basket some time around 2am :whistle:

Andy

Hey !! You ned to post a box art, pic, just for Andy !! :D

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Hey !! You ned to post a box art, pic, just for Andy !! :D

Like this you mean?

spacer.png

Full disclosure. These two fell into my basket recently too. I really must stop being so clumsy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Andy

Skint :( 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Like this you mean?

spacer.png

Full disclosure. These two fell into my basket recently too. I really must stop being so clumsy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Andy

Skint :( 

That's my boy 🙂👍

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Andy J said:

Have you seen the method for Zimmerit of using thinned water-based wood filler? I saw a youtube video of it being done. Of course, now I can't find it so not very helpful......................

The results looked quite good.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, echen said:

Have you seen the method for Zimmerit of using thinned water-based wood filler? I saw a youtube video of it being done. Of course, now I can't find it so not very helpful......................

The results looked quite good.

Don't worry about it...I have all the ingredients to make excellent zimmerit and plenty of artistic licence...infact i think it will be a doddle....meh zimmerit...easy peasy 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just looking at the pics of "Tiki" the Kursk Tiger. Looks like the Fiefels are still fitted. I read somewhere that the filters were a pain to maintain and they were left off after the very early Tigers and I was going to leave mine off. I looked back through the thread and found Longbows pics of 505 Tigers at Kursk complete with Fiefels. One cannot always believe what one reads. (Or thinks they remember reading..........)

y4m9SwtVBfECZNUnB0vpxvCa0g-9fStzql0ovpJ8

A little progress. The joint with the front plate needed sorting both sides

y4mMofIOeyGUi80xGUZQ1KMcIOpgVd7Ed_7EmPBW.

The tyres needed finishing.

y4merWMQ647InpxbQMKGvT8UK8nOBjR6j2BqN9jb

Don't look too close they need a lot of tidying. Just couldn't seem to put the paint where it was supposed to go this very frustrating afternoon. Still mustn't give up........................

The turret bin was open at the bottom. y4m0BVVDcas-a2iqWRAQ0YxlppeIYzlVZ6-MMyaI

And that would let all the crews' kit fall out so I stuck a patch on it.

y4mOtvFqaKiRnrO9q4y3_oFiMB4d4-4pSTW27P9D

Then tried fitting the engine access panel and pinged the deck off the rear plate and down into the hull. As I said a frustrating afternoon.

y4m8HMHDVHKUGOAYTuSoHjLqsFh1yJbOKiL2_w_Y

Fitted the pistol ports, the cupola and dry fitted the turret bin and access panel. Beginning to look a bit tigerish if you don't look too close.

• Like 8

Looking at the rear face of some of the wheels what looks like the edge of the tyre is a fraction of the profile of the outer edge. Does anyone know if "tyred" tiger wheels had a steel band round the inside edge to protect the rubber from the guide horns on the tracks?

If so I've some more detail to paint..........................

Edited by echen

10 minutes ago, echen said:

Looking at the rear face of some of the wheels what looks like the edge of the tyre id a fraction of the profile of the outer edge. Does anyone know if "tyred" tiger wheels had a steel band round the inside edge to protect the rubber from the guide horns on the tracks?

If so I've some more detail to paint..........................

Most of the vehicles at Kursk had the Feifel systems fitted, but many had the pipes removed. 
Fighting at Kursk damaged most of the Feifel cans beyond repair, or just plain knocked them off it seems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1