Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Not sure if I will build Tiki, depends what's in the box. :shrug:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 812 « Tiki »

The Border kit featured tanks used at Kursk that had barbed wire attached to deter Russian tank hunter teams, I had never seen it before but here's a photo:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 100

That was SPzAbt 505, prior to them having the charging knight emblem. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Isn’t the 30th one the one with a full set of Des Reich Kursk markings ?

Yes, it had two full sheets so you get Tiki from February and April  1943, plus a few other Das Reich Tigers including S33 'Dau Fu' with the Chinese character.

Checking my bank records and order history I can't find the order, and it's now showing as out of stock. Might just bite the bullet and get it from Hannants now anyway. Worst case, I end up with two and have to do both schemes I wanted :D 

Found it. Got it from Hobby Search, not Hobby Link. Including postage from Japan it ended up being within a few pence of the price at Hannants, but at the time I ordered, it was the only one available. Think I'll hold off buying another until I've built the first. It's not like I haven't got anything in the stash :D 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

Yes, it had two full sheets so you get Tiki from February and April  1943, plus a few other Das Reich Tigers including S33 'Dau Fu' with the Chinese character.

Checking my bank records and order history I can't find the order, and it's now showing as out of stock. Might just bite the bullet and get it from Hannants now anyway. Worst case, I end up with two and have to do both schemes I wanted :D 

Andy

Thats the spirit Andy...spend spend spend 🙂👍

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Think I'll hold off buying another until I've built the first. It's not like I haven't got anything in the stash :D 

Andy

And that Gentlemen, and Andy J, is a sentence we must tell ourselves over and over again....😖

Ps, off topics but Jumblies is doing the new RFM Chally II with nearly £20 off....🤔😉🤫

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

And that Gentlemen, and Andy, is a sentence we must tell ourselves over and over again....😖

Ha, well not until payday anyway. Which is later this week.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

And that Gentlemen, and Andy J, is a sentence we must tell ourselves over and over again....😖

Ps, off topics but Jumblies is doing the new RFM Chally II with nearly £20 off....🤔😉🤫

I'm not listening.......BOOM 💥 INCOMING.......TAKE COVER.....😉👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well you can't take it with ya 😏 🤷 😉 😜 🤪 😌 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Think I'll hold off buying another until I've built the first. It's not like I haven't got anything in the stash :D 

I don't imagine they will in stock for very long, dragon kits go like.....model tanks when Andy's about. :winkgrin: That's why I got my order in quick.

11 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Ya certainly cannot,  blimey, that's an eclectic load of models. :undecided:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I don't imagine they will in stock for very long, dragon kits go like.....model tanks when Andy's about. :winkgrin: That's why I got my order in quick.

Just googled eclectic and you are correct very diverse indeed 😉👍

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

But are they really "Rustless" :wicked:

Made me chuckle, listed as '100% Brass' then says Rustless...lol, (brass doesn't rust) But anyway, I'm using the other ones, they are advertised as 'High Carbon Steel' the joys of modern advertising where you can just say anything you want... ;)

Matt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Made me chuckle, listed as '100% Brass' then says Rustless...lol, (brass doesn't rust) But anyway, I'm using the other ones, they are advertised as 'High Carbon Steel' the joys of modern advertising where you can just say anything you want... ;)

Especially when they come from the far east.  At least your high carbon pins will be cheaper than the £25+ for the Chinese ones that don't fit. :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The head down snorting bull, I have some of those markings in the AM stash.  :nod:

You may want to research 505 at Kursk. 
I’m not sure if they used any unit emblem, at Kursk, for security reasons. 

40 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Bob you're a very bad man, I had absolutely no interest or intention of getting one, now I'm deep in contemplation....you sir are a bounder and a cad!

My name is not Andy I must resist...I must resist...I must..........no. . . . t resist..

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Bob you're a very bad man, I had absolutely no interest or intention of getting one, now I'm deep in contemplation....you sir are a bounder and a cad!

My name is not Andy I must resist...I must resist...I must..........no. . . . t resist..

Just get one already 🙄 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I'm not listening.......BOOM 💥 INCOMING.......TAKE COVER.....😉👍

You're a loon...an absolute loon!

My Mrs would be bouncing off the ceiling by now!

How much was the RFM chally II? 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

It was *incredibly* reasonably priced. I was sore tempted myself but it's not my scale for modern British armour.

Andy

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

A loon.....🤔......yep I guess that's about right 😜....err....the chally II was ...err....very reasonable i think 😉👍

• Haha 4

I started my Tamiya Tiger today despite not being sure yet how it will be finished. Hit an unusual problem, the sprockets and idlers have soft plastic grommets that grip the axles. The instructions say use the big ones for the sprockets but all four were the same size so the sprockets are going to need the tracks to keep them in place 🙄

As usual there were no screws to fasten the upper and lower hull together. Unusually, that's because they aren't needed for this kit 🤣

Andy

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

It was *incredibly* reasonably priced. I was sore tempted myself but it's not my scale for modern British armour.

Andy

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

A loon.....🤔......yep I guess that's about right 😜....err....the chally II was ...err....very reasonable i think 😉👍

Very reasonable is great but rather.....subjective..

Jumblies is doing them for £34.95 and have been tempted, and now Tikki at Hannants..

....get behind me Satan!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Very reasonable is great but rather.....subjective..

Jumblies is doing them for £34.95 and have been tempted, and now Tikki at Hannants..

....get behind me Satan!

Looks like you better reinforce your ceilings old chap 😉👍

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Any road up i have a question regarding the kit below which I forgot I purchased a while ago. So does this tank require a coat of zimmerit 🤔

spacer.png

Yep, sure does, notice the ripple texture on the hull.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Any road up i have a question regarding the kit below which I forgot I purchased a while ago. So does this tank require a coat of zimmerit 🤔

Andy, that late version with the m/g mounted on top front was produced from June 44 so those made from that date until September 44 would have had zimmerit, those produced after September 44 until March 45 would not.  So depends on how you want your Grizzly Bear finished and from time period. :hmmm:

• Like 2