Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Judging by that the pins are designed for the KV series or IS series Russian heavy tanks........ so if you bought them for a Tiger they didn't even get that right 

I think there from a company called "Who Flung Dung" 🙂👍

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Judging by that the pins are designed for the KV series or IS series Russian heavy tanks........ so if you bought them for a Tiger they didn't even get that right 

That's what I thought, hence the warning about buying "Tiger" track pins from China, (it was the same picture as in Simons @Redcoat2966 link)   It seems Andy was right.....

32 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Loosely translated it says " Vely sirry englisman is think metal twacks him Vely disappointed man " 🙂👍

Disappointed isn't quite the word I would use....:wtf:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

A word of warning, or at least caution.

I'll stick to my craft pins then... lol ;)

Craft+Pins.jpg

And, is that supposed to say 'Create Miracle' on that plastic container, and it got badly spelt or translated? :)

Matt

• Like 3

14 hours ago, M3talpig said:

...................speaking of which ....has anybody heard from Darryl lately ...bit worried for our fella as all that stormin and flooding goin on recently i know he has to pull out the sandbags every now and then.......................... @Jasper dog hope your ok bud

14 hours ago, Andy J said:

I share your concerns for Darryl Steve and Lee has also been quiet lately hope there both ok 🤔. And I agree Steve i also think some kind of award would be justified 🙂👍

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

It has been quiet lately,  Not at all good. :fraidnot:

Don't worry fans, all is fine.

Still need to pack the sandbags away but discovered not only do they help to prevent water ingress but also mother in laws too! (Think daleks and steps and you'll get the idea!).

Had a busy day yesterday, spent so much time at the bench had to stop due to eyes starting ache, doesn't look much but still a solid day modelling. 

Pushing on with the M4 so as its off the bench prior to the Pzr III build.

12 hours ago, Andy J said:

Loosely translated it says " Vely sirry englisman is think metal twacks him Vely disappointed man " 🙂👍

There'll be complaints from the strong armour modelling woke community!

You've done it now! 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Daleks have evolved the ability to levitate - so you'd best watch your back....!!! 🤣

That's only because disability and Dalek support groups complained about limited access and demanded something should be done!  🤣

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Still need to pack the sandbags away but discovered not only do they help to prevent water ingress but also mother in laws too!

Glad your ok mate ...was watching the news as that storm was rolling through and said to the wife that i hoped you and yours were ok...........handy tips about the sandbags keeping out inlaws ...have just ordered a load in the hopes it keeps my troublesome Daleks out also....... one can dream eh  :D

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Glad your ok mate ...was watching the news as that storm was rolling through and said to the wife that i hoped you and yours were ok...........handy tips about the sandbags keeping out inlaws ...have just ordered a load in the hopes it keeps my troublesome Daleks out also....... one can dream eh  :D

Cheers bud, never had four consecutive days of weather warnings for rain...concentrates the mind!

That's what you get for living in the lowest part of the village..lesson for next time we  move I think!

Thanks again

• Like 3

Cracked on with a little chipping, don't think trying to do the whole thing in one sitting is a good idea. Concentration startes to slip and clumsiness can set in, might add more to it later but it will do for now!

Initial chipping is with a lightened base colour followed by another even lighter tone then the dark red-brown base and the odd metallic effect for the deepest. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Little ham-fisted in parts but it'll be fine in the end.... honest!

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Cracked on with a little chipping, don't think trying to do the whole thing in one sitting is a good idea. Concentration startes to slip and clumsiness can set in, might add more to it later but it will do for now!

Initial chipping is with a lightened base colour followed by another even lighter tone then the dark red-brown base and the odd metallic effect for the deepest. 

Looking at your fine work you can start to understand why it has been so hard to tell whether these tanks had camo or not........very subtle isn't it......great looking chipping by the way

Darryl can you do me a flavour.....can you measure centre to centre the gap between the holes at the top of the commander's cupola as the Tamiya kits don't have this detail......thanks bud

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Darryl can you do me a flavour.....can you measure centre to centre the gap between the holes at the top of the commander's cupola as the Tamiya kits don't have this detail......thanks bud

Will do, just about to pop out but will do it once back home,  got to keep the Mrs happy! 🤪

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Little ham-fisted in parts but it'll be fine in the end.... honest!

:idea: I think Halfords do a rattle can  "Tiger Touch Up" for these sort of problems. :whistle:

I have just ordered a new Tiger kit....Dragon #6728 KiKi, the Kursk/Kharkov period. It has just popped-up on the Hannant's site and since the Border one has... problems I thought go for it, I get my pension on Monday :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

KiKi, the Kursk/Kharkov

Got some really nice pics of KiKi ............just make sure you don't do her paint as grua and dunkelgelb....those in the know have since proved that she was painted in a three colour paint job............ should be a lot of fun doing her though....will have a dig through my Tiger folder might take a while though mate as i now have 750 + pics in there at present

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

:idea: I think Halfords do a rattle can  "Tiger Touch Up" for these sort of problems. :whistle:

I have just ordered a new Tiger kit....Dragon #6728 KiKi, the Kursk/Kharkov period. It has just popped-up on the Hannant's site and since the Border one has... problems I thought go for it, I get my pension on Monday :winkgrin:

And you talk about me buying kits 😉👍

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Looking at your fine work you can start to understand why it has been so hard to tell whether these tanks had camo or not........very subtle isn't it......great looking chipping by the way

Thanks bud, the filter coat really brought everything together. 

Assuming you mean the holes running around the commanders cupola on the vertical sides, they are approx 7.5mm apart.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Wasn't happy when I saw that, given i just ordered the 30th Anniversary kit from Japan earlier this month to get the same plastic and decals 😪

Andy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ahh but have Halfords got the colour right?

They've probably gone straight dunklegelb instead of Gelbbraun, typical amateurs! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Andy J said:

And you talk about me buying kits 😉👍

Ahh! but it's only one.  (so far this year)  :wicked:

27 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Wasn't happy when I saw that, given i just ordered the 30th Anniversary kit from Japan earlier this month to get the same plastic and decals 😪

Hannant's price is £59.99....Errrm how much was yours. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Andy

Isn’t the 30th one the one with a full set of Des Reich Kursk markings ?

10 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Tiki was most definitely three color, Dark yellow with Green Brown overspray. 

Not sure if I will build Tiki, depends what's in the box. :shrug:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 812 « Tiki »

The Border kit featured tanks used at Kursk that had barbed wire attached to deter Russian tank hunter teams, I had never seen it before but here's a photo:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 100

• Like 3