Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Just now, M3talpig said:

Very kind words Stef.................. my builds are definitely getting better but still need to work on the cleanliness ...there are still areas which leave little to be desired

HHHMMMM the bench ain't lookin to pretty at the moment bud

Can only dream of such a neat bench, it's pristine compared to mine mate....

It's at the point of putting something down and it disappears into the clutter...

(And when I say something I don't mean something tiny like jar of paint!)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

When you solder is it flux and wire solder or the combined flux and solder paste?

If you've tried both which would you suggest?

Whilst I'm at it, standard iron or a butane mini blow lamp type soldering iron?

I use Fluxite soldering paste by Fry and a 60-40 solder which is 60%tin 40%lead and i use a digital solder station which sounds expensive but there not........ the key to good soldering is to dip the tip of the iron in the flux and re-tin every time before attempting to make a joint ......clean both parts to be joined and use a small brush to apply flux paste to the two pieces  .......

Heat transfer is also key and heat won't transfer effectively if the tip of your iron is dirty that's why i say to re-tin at every chance (when you've been doing it a while it becomes second nature) also a good idea to have a brass scourer on hand just to wipe the tip over before dipping and re-tinning...and i set my station at 400 degrees as this is hot enough to join brass pieces in seconds....its very satisfying to do brass this way and does away with that "oh god it's so fragile i barely want to touch it" thing that happens when you use just cyano...also does away with the problem of the cyano degrading over time which it will.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Update 8

So some details missing is understandable on Tamiyas behalf...these would be such detail...you can't even see this area unless         And the armoured covers were given a little love too....still have to do the lifting lugs but the retexture came out well and the cut  

peering down the exhausts from directly above...but it was a relatively simple fix so i fixed it.                                                               off pouring marks which seem to be present on most of the very earliest Tigers but not so much with later Tigers...were done with

leftover scraps of plasticard and scribed with the end of a knackered blade

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 9

7 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Update 8

So some details missing is understandable on Tamiyas behalf...these would be such detail...you can't even see this area unless         And the armoured covers were given a little love too....still have to do the lifting lugs but the retexture came out well and the cut  

peering down the exhausts from directly above...but it was a relatively simple fix so i fixed it.                                                               off pouring marks which seem to be present on most of the very earliest Tigers but not so much with later Tigers...were done with

leftover scraps of plasticard and scribed with the end of a knackered blade

spacer.png spacer.png

Usual standard of high quality detail work Steve I'm getting the impression you're enjoying yourself mate 😉👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Usual standard of high quality detail work Steve I'm getting the impression you're enjoying yourself mate 😉👍

Yeah must admit i'm enjoying this one......good job really as when this is done i gotta do it all again for the African one

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 16/01/2021 at 13:47, M3talpig said:

Have any of you got Dragons DR6252 initial 502 Tiger kit...................if so could you please post pics of the instruction sheet if there isnt too many pages......bit stuck with the tool layout as the pics i have of 100 are limited at best 

Steve, do you still need pictures of these plans, I have the kit. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Steve, do you still need pictures of these plans, I have the kit. :winkgrin:

No thank you Bob with some help i found what i needed on scalemates........but thanks for the reply bud appreciate it :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Update 9

So need to make the lifting pilzen for the armoured exhaust covers...start with some copper sheet and rod                                          Solder the two together

spacer.png spacer.png

Clean up and shape the ends                                                                                                                                                                    Drill holes in the part and glue finished pilzen in place.....tried doing these before using plastic rod and they never really looked

correct ...but i think these have come out just right  

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Looking good, Steve !! ;)

Think i'm the only reason this thread is still active now...........its feeling a bit quiet around here lately.............. hope everybody is ok 

• Haha 3

I'm here Steve 🙂👍. Been busy at work but I have managed to make a small amount of progress. Wheels and tracks are in place though I've yet to complete the weathering on either. Here's a couple of pics showing the tracks in place but I've left the wheels out because atm they aren't weathered 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So there you go I have a couple of days off now so will be working on the Tiger again tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Think i'm the only reason this thread is still active now...........its feeling a bit quiet around here lately.............. hope everybody is ok 

Coz your metal work is leaving us speechless.   When I add the lifting lugs to the armoured exhaust pots I just use Slaters 0.5 plastic rod held near a flame to get a mushroom head, then I shape it with a sanding stick. :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

You've led the line gallantly Steve and your making a grand job of the Tiger 🙂👍. It seems your feeling a little abandoned atm maybe i need to send you a story i know how much you enjoy them 😀 😉 👍

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Sorry Steve...

Not my fault right now, Bro. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Update 9

So need to make the lifting pilzen for the armoured exhaust covers...start with some copper sheet and rod                                          Solder the two together

Clean up and shape the ends                                                                                                                                                                    Drill holes in the part and glue finished pilzen in place.....tried doing these before using plastic rod and they never really looked

correct ...but i think these have come out just right  

Now that's just showing off....

Great work btw!

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Having a weather moment up here, rebuilt the sandbag defences and keeping fingers crossed.

Under the circumstances one finds concentration to model hard to come by...

Hopefully passed by Wed aft / eve 🤞

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Rye Field has released their new "Initial" kit as an exterior only, following last "month's (?) release of the Initial wit Interior. 

Does look nice ...unfortunately i have invested my money in Tamiya now and an awful lot of brass ......... so i will be stickin with those ....you can only have so many Tigers and i have five waiting :doh:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Having a weather moment up here, rebuilt the sandbag defences and keeping fingers crossed.

Under the circumstances one finds concentration to model hard to come by..

Understandable mate ....home and family first...... best wishes to ya mate hope muma nature doesnt give you too much to worry about.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, echen said:

I'm still here. No buildng at present as convalescing and workshop too cold.

Yeah has been chilly lately mate.....hard to work those little bits wearing mittens and detail painting goes right out the window when your teeth are chattering. :D

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah has been chilly lately mate.....hard to work those little bits wearing mittens and detail painting goes right out the window when your teeth are chattering. :D

I think it's the same for most of us, I needed to use the outside spray bay to flat my Panthers but having sprayed in cold damp conditions before and the varnish turns opaque/white, the kit just goes in the bin, that was not happening again.  Across on the park the duck pond is still covered in ice??? duck pond???  that is supposed to be a football pitch!  Grump, grump I'll burnish some tracks and stay in the warm. :unsure:

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Panthers but having sprayed in cold damp conditions before and the varnish turns opaque/white,

Ever tried a gloss coat when this happens? You can re-matt afterwards.  Have a gander at the above thread. It might help if it happens again. 

• Like 3