Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

This might be the finest work you've done yet mate ...very very special indeed..

My wife sometimes says I'm "special " too....but with the emphasis on the first syllable...

Thanks bud, slowly getting there and as long as its going in the right direction where happy enough!

Cheers, appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Update 6

Headlight mounts done ........... from the pics i have either 100's lights were broken off or more likely stowed away

New towing mount done as well as the original was a bit lacking                                                                                                           All the weld beads finished on the rear engine plate and torch cut marks done

Impressive work and brilliant attention to detail Steve, sure it'll look tremendous when done.

Someone said, might even have been you, the reason behind moving the headlamps from the hull roof is if rotating the turret with the barrel depressed the headlamps could be knocked off.

Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well.... I think it looks great Andy. 
It’s a superb lesson as to what can be achieved, weathering wise. 

Please don’t take my lack of comments as a sign of dislike.
I’ve just been really busy work wise, not to mention walking in on an armed robbery this morning, and getting stuck waiting to get out of the crime scene. 

You guys actually probably wouldn’t believe the crap I have to deal with, if I didn’t take photos. 

Crap surely not mate, looks like a still from a film set. Dam sight more interesting than my day, the highlight of which was sliding around on icy untreated roads...No matter how old you never grow out of it...or is that just me...🤫

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Jeez fella, try and get a bit of bench time in without being distracted by the shenanigans of you lot and ...

I hope you arn't including me in the 'isn't popular " column!

For what it's worth ,I really like what you're doing with it. As an exercise in weathering techniques and products its brilliant. The rust and staining is great and I particularly like the effects of heat on the exhaust shrouds.

Another point that's come out rather well is the faded and worn turret numbers.

Of course you can manage two builds at once, no shirking the Pzr III build!

It was only a general comment mate it wasn't aimed at any one person alone apologies for the confusion. The only reason I hand painted the turret numbers was because I felt that if I used the decals they would look too clean if you see what I mean. It shouldn't take me long to finish off the Tiger now I've got all the wheels primed and because they will be covered in mud no need for a proper paint job. So tracks and tools and that's pretty much it 🙂👍

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Andy J said:

It was only a general comment mate it wasn't aimed at any one person alone apologies for the confusion. The only reason I hand painted the turret numbers was because I felt that if I used the decals they would look too clean if you see what I mean. It shouldn't take me long to finish off the Tiger now I've got all the wheels primed and because they will be covered in mud no need for a proper paint job. So tracks and tools and that's pretty much it 🙂👍

No need fella, only pulling your leg!

Going to look great when done.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Longbow said:

Darryl, that is starting to look fantastic !! I'd be very proud if it was one of mine !!

Cheers Lee, long way to go yet and the opportunity to screw it up!

Why was it, building kits years ago slapping the decals on was pretty much it done and dusted, these days its barely halfway....

Its because of you guys, not to mention the young upstart weathering the bejeebers out of his Tiger that I'm having to work harder to keep up, its exhausting!

Atb and hope to see some progress from your side soon....

Thanks again

• Haha 5

There’s just no holding these young kids back, Darryl....

”Hey son, show me how this remote works... How this computer hooks to the printer... How I switch this bloomin’ phone on !!.... How I weather this Tiger, with new Weathering Pigment from Mig.... “

:D

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Andy J said:

That's one of the things I love about building armour - the markings can be weathered as much as everything else so they look in keeping. I've lost count of the number of aircraft (mine included) that  have heavily weathered paintjobs with brand new looking markings. 

Your Tiger is looking great BTW - as a demo of techniques and tools it's outstanding. I'm away to check the modelling budget now - I may need an airbrush. And a compressor. And to convert the spare room so it has a spray booth... :D If it happens, I'm pointing the finger squarely your way.

Andy

• Haha 2

Have any of you got Dragons DR6252 initial 502 Tiger kit...................if so could you please post pics of the instruction sheet if there isnt too many pages......bit stuck with the tool layout as the pics i have of 100 are limited at best 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Have any of you got Dragons DR6252 initial 502 Tiger kit...................if so could you please post pics of the instruction sheet if there isnt too many pages......bit stuck with the tool layout as the pics i have of 100 are limited at best 

Can't you download them from scalemates?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

29 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Can't you download them from scalemates?

Darry is right. Stalemates or Super Hobby Japan will have them. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Cheers Lee, long way to go yet and the opportunity to screw it up!

Why was it, building kits years ago slapping the decals on was pretty much it done and dusted, these days its barely halfway....

Its because of you guys, not to mention the young upstart weathering the bejeebers out of his Tiger that I'm having to work harder to keep up, its exhausting!

Atb and hope to see some progress from your side soon....

Thanks again

Hmm so Darryl are you saying I'm a positive influence 🤔.....So special, sensible and a positive influence....that'll do me 🙂.....I'm now battening down the turret hatches as I fear an avalanche of shell's heading towards me.....oh and fear not I will have no idea from which direction they came as some amateur fitted the vision blocks backwards 🙄👍

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

This one is down to Darryl....I know i shouldn't but I just couldn't help myself...it called out to me " Buy Me" ...so I did 🙂👍

There's a lot of it about. I had the exact same ting happen with this one.

spacer.png

Anybody got a bucket of brass paint going spare - that's an open topped turret and all 200 rounds of ammo are provided :o Going to have to learn how to work with PE too, there's a few parts in there that are etch only, including that turret basket. 

Andy

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

spacer.png

Anybody got a bucket of brass paint going spare - that's an open topped turret and all 200 rounds of ammo are provided :o Going to have to learn how to work with PE too, there's a few parts in there that are etch only, including that turret basket. 

Andy

Steve @M3talpig knows his way around a fret of photo etch im sure he'd give you a few tips if required...as long as he's not busy with Angelina 😉👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

This one is down to Darryl....I know i shouldn't but I just couldn't help myself...it called out to me " Buy Me" ...so I did 🙂👍

Cant blame me for that young fella,  nice as the box art might be...

58 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

And I'm sure I ain't responsible here either!!

Jeez guys the buck don't even slow down passing here!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

I wasn't pointing fingers - no need, I am keeper of the wallet and have free reign. Those shiny things shouting 'buy me' are bloody dangerous though. I find the only way to get past them is to give in early :D 

Andy

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

You're suspicions are correct Darryl....Boxartitus again I'm afraid 🙄

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I wasn't pointing fingers - no need, I am keeper of the wallet and have free reign. Those shiny things shouting 'buy me' are bloody dangerous though. I find the only way to get past them is to give in early :D 

Andy

Yep same as me Andy I buy what I want when I want no questions asked 😉👍

• Haha 2

Update 7

Spare track bars added ...made from copper strip and soldered for strength because of the weight of the metal tracks                      On the rear the photo etched mud flap mounts have been added

and pins soldered to the backs to locate firmly to the bow plate..texturing finished and the last two weld beads done

spacer.png spacer.png

While i had the iron out i decided to make the spare antenna tube and it's mounts.........fiddly job but worth it.

spacer.png

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I'm not only impressed with your technical ability but also how you manage to keep your builds so clean.Top work.👍

I entirely agree and not just the builds but the bench itself....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Update 7

Spare track bars added ...made from copper strip and soldered for strength because of the weight of the metal tracks                      On the rear the photo etched mud flap mounts have been added

and pins soldered to the backs to locate firmly to the bow plate..texturing finished and the last two weld beads done

While i had the iron out i decided to make the spare antenna tube and it's mounts.........fiddly job but worth it.

Real modelling going on here Steve, tremendous work and as been said, so neat!

When you solder is it flux and wire solder or the combined flux and solder paste?

If you've tried both which would you suggest?

Whilst I'm at it, standard iron or a butane mini blow lamp type soldering iron?

Cheers bud, looking really good so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I'm not only impressed with your technical ability but also how you manage to keep your builds so clean.Top work.

Very kind words Stef.................. my builds are definitely getting better but still need to work on the cleanliness ...there are still areas which leave little to be desired

7 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

HHHMMMM the bench ain't lookin to pretty at the moment bud

spacer.png 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Due to a mixture of bench shame and bench envy my workspace will not be appearing in any of my photos.😳😀

• Haha 7