Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Tamiya bud kit number 35216

Apologies if you've already mentioned it mate but what colour scheme are you planning 🤔

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So Hetzer loosely translated means hell hound....hmm interesting 🤔 

My dictionary gives it as agitator or rabble-rouser. I think your dictionary is better :)

Andy

A different one, in the other corner.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Apologies if you've already mentioned it mate but what colour scheme are you planning 🤔

Panzer grey with white wash camo. as were all the first nine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Panzer grey with white wash camo. as were all the first nine.

Excellent nice one Steve looking forward to seeing it 👍 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

My dictionary gives it as agitator or rabble-rouser. I think your dictionary is better :)

Andy

A different one, in the other corner.

I didn't use a dictionary mate it's just a quote from some books I'm reading 🙂👍

• Like 1

So I've finished with the glue for the Dragon Tiger build and i like the results 🙂. This is easily the most detailed kit I've built so far and a bit of a challenge for me but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far though the amount of spare plastic left over is amazing i certainly have plenty of spare do dads lying around now. I'm waiting on some brass aerial masts now but other than that it's paint time soon. I'm going to switch my attention back to the Tamiya Tiger now and that starts with a total re paint and the opportunity to try out some of the many different weathering products I've purchased. Once the Tamiya build is finished I'll carry on with the Dragon Tiger but for now here's the latest pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Right time to re prime the Tamiya Tiger now and see how far i can go today. Back at work for a couple of days tomorrow but I'll try to post when possible 🙂👍

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

So Hetzer loosely translated means hell hound....hmm interesting 🤔 

This, I did not know, but I guess it makes sense ;)

OMG !! I'm hoping to get back on board, this evening, with some minor progress !! I'm missing the smell of airbrush cleaner :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Longbow said:

This, I did not know, but I guess it makes sense ;)

OMG !! I'm hoping to get back on board, this evening, with some minor progress !! I'm missing the smell of airbrush cleaner :D

Yep need you back in action ASAP mate 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Looking very nice Andy !!

That didn't take you very long at all, did it !!

Strangely it seems like it took ages but I guess you're right mate just over a week i reckon 🙂

• Like 2

So update number 2 for today and the Tamiya Tiger has received it's basic re paint. I'm much happier with the colour now and once weathering commences i think this Tiger will look ok. Here's some pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So a good day's work today with both kits more to come soon 🙂👍

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

So I've finished with the glue for the Dragon Tiger build and i like the results 🙂. This is easily the most detailed kit I've built so far and a bit of a challenge for me but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far though the amount of spare plastic left over is amazing i certainly have plenty of spare do dads lying around now. I'm waiting on some brass aerial masts now but other than that it's paint time soon. I'm going to switch my attention back to the Tamiya Tiger now and that starts with a total re paint and the opportunity to try out some of the many different weathering products I've purchased. Once the Tamiya build is finished I'll carry on with the Dragon Tiger but for now here's the latest... 

Must say Andy your Dragon Tiger in the words of the great Tony looks....Grrreat!

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

I full agree, with that !!! ;)

And not before bleedin time mate, jeeez dude priorities!😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So update number 2 for today and the Tamiya Tiger has received it's basic re paint. I'm much happier with the colour now and once weathering commences i think this Tiger will look ok. Here's some pic's of today's progress 

Looking really good mate, nice paint work....sure it's the right shade of yellow?🤔

😉🤣😂

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking really good mate, nice paint work....sure it's the right shade of yellow?🤔

😉🤣😂

Well...it's most definitely....not the right colour yet.....however it may well look better after the next few steps 😉👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Enough Andy baiting and back to the 241.

Gloss coated with rattle can clear lacquer and decals applied...

spacer.pngSpoilt for choice with decals: 

Top right, RFM kit supplied, just no Janny to go on the glacis plate.

Bottom,    Bison Decals,  forgotten I had this set but again no Janny for 241

Top left,   Star Decals, has all that's needed, 

Went with the Star Decals sheet, allowed me assess the quality too as I've a few more sets from Star.

I could probably do most of 501s Tigers with this lot!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Turret numbers are possibly a shade large particularly on the bin. 

Not sure about the crosses on the hull sides as I can't actually see them on any period photos...

spacer.png

Another coat of clear next and on with weathering...

Cheers 

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

While not a Tiger, I’ve begun creating its habitat. Looking at pictures of bocage, it’s very similar to the farm tracks and general area that’s local to me. So with that in mind I’ve used a block of balsa to represent the tangle of roots, mud and general detritus that’s found in the centre of the hedges. All being well I shall be creating and planting trees tomorrow :thumbsup:

Sean

Base is looking really good Sean, can I ask what you've used for the grass and such like?

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Enough Andy baiting and back to the 241.

Gloss coated with rattle can clear lacquer and decals applied...

spacer.pngSpoilt for choice with decals: 

Top right, RFM kit supplied, just no Janny to go on the glacis plate.

Bottom,    Bison Decals,  forgotten I had this set but again no Janny for 241

Top left,   Star Decals, has all that's needed, 

Went with the Star Decals sheet, allowed me assess the quality too as I've a few more sets from Star.

I could probably do most of 501s Tigers with this lot!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Turret numbers are possibly a shade large particularly on the bin. 

Not sure about the crosses on the hull sides as I can't actually see them on any period photos...

spacer.png

Another coat of clear next and on with weathering...

Cheers 

Nice work Darryl looking good mate 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Base is looking really good Sean, can I ask what you've used for the grass and such like?

Cheers 

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. I got the grass and the gravel a few years ago so I’m not entirely sure which brand they are but I think they could be Expo. I got the materials for the trees from here: https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk
I’ve been planting trees tonight so the base is nearly finished.

Sean

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks Darryl. I got the grass and the gravel a few years ago so I’m not entirely sure which brand they are but I think they could be Expo. I got the materials for the trees from here: https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk
I’ve been planting trees tonight so the base is nearly finished.

Sean

Cheers, I'll have a look at that, been wanting more realistic grass for a bit but without going the static grass and applicator route.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

As I said earlier, I’ve been planting trees tonight.

20210111_205410

20210111_205418

And here’s the finished article, complete with Tiger in it’s hunting ground.

20210111_205514

20210111_205529

20210111_205555

Sean

You should be very proud of that Sean looks brilliant 👏 thanks for sharing your build mate and well done again 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1