Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

So the plan remains the same Tiger 100 of Pz.Abt 502 at Leningrad...........kit being used Tamiya 35216 early Tiger...the only kit i have close enough to the vehicle i want to do......this is going to mean some heavy modding.

Nothing like making things easy for yourself, what with the lockdown and the bad weather it'll give you something to do over the weekend. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Nothing like making things easy for yourself, what with the lockdown and the bad weather it'll give you something to do over the weekend. 

Well it's really a case of no choice ...i found an initial Dragon kit on Eblag...but its at 43 quid and the bidding is still going and i think RFM do one but the prices on those are just silly....could have made a little less work for myself with the Tamiya Afrika but not a lot less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Chuckle i damn near wet myself when i saw this.................. you are a funny bugger :rofl:

Poor fella,  he's reached "that" age, apparently. 

Always be nice to strangers....could be you're proctologist... :o

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I wouldn't mind a nice T-shirt with a big menacing Tiger on the front 🙂👍

T shirts you say....

spacer.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Well it's really a case of no choice ...i found an initial Dragon kit on Eblag...but its at 43 quid and the bidding is still going and i think RFM do one but the prices on those are just silly....could have made a little less work for myself with the Tamiya Afrika but not a lot less.

Don't think they RFM prices are bad considering,  the one I'm doing can be had for about £40 new. 

Should have said bud, sure someone must have something they be happy to flog off for a sensible price.

Perhaps if anyone is after something specific kit wise put it out there to the group?

Just a thought..:hmmm:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Don't think they RFM prices are bad considering,  the one I'm doing can be had for about £40 new. 

Should have said bud, sure someone must have something they be happy to flog off for a sensible price.

Perhaps if anyone is after something specific kit wise put it out there to the group?

Just a thought..:hmmm:

Well i still want to do an African initial as well so if anybody has got a suitable kit hit me up ... i have Paypal and will happily send it over friends and family if the price is reasonable

• Like 4

Elephant one, nice pic, how many washes it'll stand anyones guess...fella on ebay was doing them only cheap £15ish

The Tiger one is from Bovington,  much better quality, can't recall price, wasn't silly.

I really should see about commission from tank museum shop...!

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well i still want to do an African initial as well so if anybody has got a suitable kit hit me up ... i have Paypal and will happily send it over friends and family if the price is reasonable

Let me look in the morning bud, or later in the morning at least...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bush camouflage version 2. I’m much happier with this than yesterday’s efforts.

20210109_125435

20210109_125616

The close ups haven’t been kind to the fella leaning on the barrel, not my best seam removal attempt...

Sean

• Like 9

Sorry to divert from Tigers for a moment, but Andy, you asked about the Tamiya Matilda and paint.  I have dug my half built kit out of the pending stash (more Shermans than you can shake a stick at) I was right that it was a 2009 kit, but the metal barrel and brass m/g were AM from Lionmarc, I also made some Bronco workable tracks??? they were easy to assemble I remember, but a waste of time as the side shields hide most of them.  I started to research the camouflage scheme and Mike Starmer had debunked the the blue caunter camo which has been displayed on modelling tables for years and is the equivalent of bright pink PRU Spitfires.  So I ordered a set of Lifecolor camouflage paints, but by the time that arrived something else had my attention so my desert army that I intended to make, Sherman, Matilda, Grant, Crusader and Stuart ironically just gather dust.  Here's a photo of the dusted off Matilda, tracks and paint. 😷

IMG_1474

• Like 6

I like those early British tanks, have a Miniart Valentine that I will dress up in Red Army markings - eventually 😐
Right  now my attention goes to 48 roadwheels asking for rubber to be added...

Stay safe!
Zack the wheelwright

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I was tempted to get a Dragon Tunisian Tiger but the only one I could find on ebay cost £72.50 including p&p and as it has DS tracks that means another £30ish for some AM ones (the fruils I'm assembling at the moment cost £33.99 inc p&p)  I don't mind spending £100+ for a kit that is going to take a month or more to build but I appear fully booked up to 2099, just hope I don't lose my marbles or any other significant bits before then.  :mental:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Zack said:

I like those early British tanks, have a Miniart Valentine that I will dress up in Red Army markings - eventually 😐

Hi Zack, I started a theme of allied tanks in Russian markings, one of those half built Shermans is an M4A2 in Russian green, plus I have a Churchill Mk.III and M3 Lee tempted, by the Red Army Matilda that Tamiya make. :facepalm:

• Like 4

@Andy J in your quest for allied tanks forgot to mention yesterday the Tamiya  Archer, Valentine lower hull with the 17 pounder pointing backwards over the engine deck. Would reverse into a concealed position pick off Jerry before scooting away..

Wouldn't mind doing a Churchill if someone did a good one, don't fancy the AFV Club offering for some reason.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I was tempted to get a Dragon Tunisian Tiger but the only one I could find on ebay cost £72.50 including p&p and as it has DS tracks that means another £30ish for some AM ones (the fruils I'm assembling at the moment cost £33.99 inc p&p)  I don't mind spending £100+ for a kit that is going to take a month or more to build but I appear fully booked up to 2099, just hope I don't lose my marbles or any other significant bits before then.  :mental:

Thinking along the same lines - unlike our friend Andy here me and my wife are looking for ways to reducing the stash, +100 unfinished atm.
Under 2020 things have gone the wrong way though so next week I am taking some 20 odd ones down to the help center to be distributed.
Bit late for xmas but so what. 
Have a deal with the LHS and in time he will take all that is left and sell what can be sold for charity.

But that is in on the other side of 2099, cheers @Retired Bob  ;) 

Stay safe, stay  sane and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Bush camouflage version 2. I’m much happier with this than yesterday’s efforts.

The close ups haven’t been kind to the fella leaning on the barrel, not my best seam removal attempt...

Sean

Looking good Sean, do like the scheme with the foliage.

Nice work

Darryl 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Zack, I started a theme of allied tanks in Russian markings, one of those half built Shermans is an M4A2 in Russian green, plus I have a Churchill Mk.III and M3 Lee tempted, by the Red Army Matilda that Tamiya make. :facepalm:

The Cyberhobby M4A3 does get some attention as well in between GT's.
2v2Hqe5Pyx6eHcV.jpg

Sorry - off track...

2v2HNhzezx6eHcV.jpg

As always
//Z

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Along with the construction and paintwork of the Tiger we have the kit supplied tracks...

Actually ok, so far at least, goes together ok, not too time consuming or fiddly like the Meng M4 ones even comes with a small jig.

spacer.png

First short run to be assembled, links, guide horns and pins.

And about 1hr later....

spacer.png

Perhaps not just as quick as Fruils or as robust but saves spending £30 on a set...

Will reserve full judgement till painted..

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Along with the construction and paintwork of the Tiger we have the kit supplied tracks...

Actually ok, so far at least, goes together ok, not too time consuming or fiddly like the Meng M4 ones even comes with a small jig.

spacer.png

First short run to be assembled, links, guide horns and pins.

And about 1hr later....

spacer.png

Perhaps not just as quick as Fruils or as robust but saves spending £30 on a set...

Will reserve full judgement till painted..

Cheers

Darryl 

Hmm,
looking good - very good actually.
Hard plastic?
Have Cyberhobby's M1A1, comes with DS  tracks (?) and single injection molded guide horns... (the kit is a ... anyway)...

Roadwheel 15, 33 to go before I start my 220 Friuls 😐 
Nah sorry - it is all good fun ;)

Stay in there
Zack son of
Αἴολος

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Zack said:

Hmm,
looking good - very good actually.
Hard plastic?
Have Cyberhobby's M1A1, comes with DS  tracks (?) and single injection molded guide horns... (the kit is a ... anyway)...

Roadwheel 15, 33 to go before I start my 220 Friuls 😐 
Nah sorry - it is all good fun ;)

Stay in there
Zack son of
Αἴολος

Thanks Zack, I quite like doing Fruils but these RFM plastic ones appear to be ok, so far...

Yes fairly hard plastic, certainly harder than the rest of the kit plastic. The pins are not terribly long so needs a brush with Extra Thin to hold together.

I like how the pins come sets of four that line up nicely with the corresponding holes in the track links, all pretty fool proof.... 

Perhaps should get @Andy J  to have a go...🤔😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Zack, I quite like doing Fruils but these RFM plastic ones appear to be ok, so far...

Yes fairly hard plastic, certainly harder than the rest of the kit plastic. The pins are not terribly long so needs a brush with Extra Thin to hold together.

I like how the pins come sets of four that line up nicely with the corresponding holes in the track links, all pretty fool proof.... 

Perhaps should get @Andy J  to have a go...🤔😉

..."so needs a brush with Extra Thin to hold together"... 
Sorry JD, missed that earlier (blaming the tonic) does that mean they end up being static?

//Z

• Like 5

Initial paintwork, first colour at least, done.

All over coat of RAL 8000 Gelbbraun, lightened in parts with straight white, this will get a camo over spray of RAL7008 Graugrun with any later additions to the Tiger painted in the later colour of RAL 8020 Braun.

All paints from AK and thinned with AKs own thinners.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now...

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Zack said:

..."so needs a brush with Extra Thin to hold together"... 
Sorry JD, missed that earlier (blaming the tonic) does that mean they end up being static?

//Z

So far, semi flexible, might be best to treat as link and length.

Will probably form around drive and idler wheels before the glue sets....

I'll see how the rest goes together....🤞

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

So far, semi flexible, might be best to treat as link and length.

Will probably form around drive and idler wheels before the glue sets....

I'll see how the rest goes together....🤞

👍

• Like 2