Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Ok so Steve is having a tough time with his projects of late and I'm not fond of having a man down, so with that in mind and having being inspired by a song on the radio earlier the following words need to be spoken to the tune of Ian Drurys hit me with your rhythm stick 😀 😉 

Hit me with your periscope ...hit me ..hit me 

You've fitted it back to front you dope..hit me...hit me....hit me

Hit me with your periscope ...am I gonna change it nope nope nope 

Hit me ...hit me...hiiiiit  meeeeeee

Now Steve may not reply but I'm certain he'll read this at some stage and hopefully it'll make him chuckle 🙂😉👍

Block head..... 🤣

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Brilliant Darryl I love seeing newly delivered modelling goodies makes me feel all warm inside 😊 Here's part of my goodies I've averaged 3 parcels a day this week...a new record for me 🙂

And still 2 due today followed by 6 atm over the next few days 🙂 👍

I have one due, today, I think. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Brilliant Darryl I love seeing newly delivered modelling goodies makes me feel all warm inside 😊 Here's part of my goodies I've averaged 3 parcels a day this week...a new record for me 🙂

And still 2 due today followed by 6 atm over the next few days 🙂 👍

Strewth mate....my concern was justified, you don't do things by halves!

That's a heck of a collection, I like the preweatherd tweezers and clamps you've got hold of, very chic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'm so pleased it's not just me that has done that. Don't know which is worse - the frustration while you're doing it, or the shame when you realise.

Andy

T shirt franchise owner.

The worst is definitely the frustration, I can laugh afterwards!! 😅

Cheers

• Like 5

So today's update and I've completed the upper hull added the skirts and a plethora of other do dads. Turret next tomorrow and then I think we are ready for some paint 😃👍. The rear end of this tank with all the detail looks fantastic imo this really is a great kit to build. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's where the Tiger build stands atm but I'll be back tomorrow to start playing with some plastic again 😀👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Strewth mate....my concern was justified, you don't do things by halves!

That's a heck of a collection, I like the preweatherd tweezers and clamps you've got hold of, very chic!

That's just the view facing forwards Darryl here's a selection of other goodies behind where I build 😉 

spacer.png

Can't have enough do dads can we mate 🙂👍

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

That's just the view facing forwards Darryl here's a selection of other goodies behind where I build 😉 

Can't have enough do dads can we mate 🙂👍

Not quite as neat but I've no room to talk!

Keep saying I'll empty the garage out and reconfigure to give myself more room and shelving space. 

Just need to decide what to do with the current incumbent, it never turned a wheel last year, not to mention all the other "stuff" that gets dumped in garages...

Would be nice to have a large dedicated modelling space though instead of a small partitioned off "cubicle"... just think, books, cabinets, stash, beer fridge all in one space....🤔

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Not quite as neat but I've no room to talk!

Keep saying I'll empty the garage out and reconfigure to give myself more room and shelving space. 

Just need to decide what to do with the current incumbent, it never turned a wheel last year, not to mention all the other "stuff" that gets dumped in garages...

Would be nice to have a large dedicated modelling space though instead of a small partitioned off "cubicle"... just think, books, cabinets, stash, beer fridge all in one space....🤔

I'm fortunate that it's a double garage that never gets used for housing car's. I've got plans to create a dedicated modelling room in the spring though I've had the same plans for the last 3 years 🙃. I can't imagine not building anything whilst I build the room but I'm pretty certain that this year will be the one where I actually get round to building it. Until then I'll plod on the best I can though temperatures atm mean its quite cold in there at times 🙂👍

• Like 5

So I know this is a Tiger thread but as all my armour buddies are here atm I have a question 🤔

Can anyone recommend a really good Allied tank kit from WW2. Doesn't need a full interior just a great kit that stands out from the rest. I've been looking myself but I'm yet to find anything that stands out if you know what I mean 🙂👍

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So I know this is a Tiger thread but as all my armour buddies are here atm I have a question 🤔

Can anyone recommend a really good Allied tank kit from WW2. Doesn't need a full interior just a great kit that stands out from the rest. I've been looking myself but I'm yet to find anything that stands out if you know what I mean 🙂👍

M26 Pershing ....M18 Hellcat........ M24 Chafee........ M4A3E8 Sherman........ M12 GMC......... M3 Lee....  M7 Priest.........i could go on ....but i'm goin back to bed.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

M26 Pershing ....M18 Hellcat........ M24 Chafee........ M4A3E8 Sherman........ M12 GMC......... M3 Lee....  M7 Priest.........i could go on ....but i'm goin back to bed.

Thanks Steve that's quite a list mate but which manufacturer would you recommend....PS hurry up back to the build thread mate it ain't the same with you missing 😢 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I really enjoyed the Tamiya Cromwell, goes together like your Gepard, a newer kit so slightly more detailed but great kit.

Again the Dragon Sherman Firefly I really enjoyed but the Tasca/asuka one is very good!

The new Border models Crusader is said to be good, never seen it  other than in adverts but supposed to be good.

And of course the Meng M3 range of Grant's and Lee's, great kits, built the Grant last year.

Atb

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I really enjoyed the Tamiya Cromwell, goes together like your Gepard, a newer kit so slightly more detailed but great kit.

Again the Dragon Sherman Firefly I really enjoyed but the Tasca/asuka one is very good!

The new Border models Crusader is said to be good, never seen it  other than in adverts but supposed to be good.

And of course the Meng M3 range of Grant's and Lee's, great kits, built the Grant last year.

Atb

Thanks Darryl I'm off to do some more shopping 🛍 ☺ 😊 🙂 😜 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

If you want something different, you've already built a Sherman, how about a British tank, Churchill, Matilda, Valentine or Crusader are all different to American tanks,  If you want to stay with American tanks but with British markings then you can have Sherman, Sherman Firefly, Grant or Stuart.  Find something that you like the look of and then ask for info about best kit or manufacturer to buy :winkgrin:

• Like 2

I’m in need of some opinions please gents. As part of the diorama plan I have in my head I was going to add some of the foliage and brush camouflage etc to the Tiger. The pieces in the spare track links are there just to give an idea, I’ll add some bushier pieces if I think I’m going in the right direction but the barrel camo is what’s got me umming and ahhing.

20210108_205355

20210108_205404

Sean

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

I’m in need of some opinions please gents. As part of the diorama plan I have in my head I was going to add some of the foliage and brush camouflage etc to the Tiger. The pieces in the spare track links are there just to give an idea, I’ll add some bushier pieces if I think I’m going in the right direction but the barrel camo is what’s got me umming and ahhing.

20210108_205355

20210108_205404

Sean

Hi Sean I think some camo netting around the barrel would look great 👍 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Remember Sean, the gunner has to look through the main gun sight in the mantlet and that foliage on the barrel would obscure his view, the foliage was to break up the shape of the tank but not stop the crew operating effectively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

If you want something different, you've already built a Sherman, how about a British tank, Churchill, Matilda, Valentine or Crusader are all different to American tanks,  If you want to stay with American tanks but with British markings then you can have Sherman, Sherman Firefly, Grant or Stuart.  Find something that you like the look of and then ask for info about best kit or manufacturer to buy :winkgrin:

I've got a soft spot for the Matilda Bob what manufacturer would you recommend 🤔

• Like 1

Just now, Andy J said:

I've got a soft spot for the Matilda Bob what manufacturer would you recommend 🤔

Tamiya bought out a nice new kit in...2009 I think it was, that is the best one, not their old kit from the 60/70s.  Tamiya then re-issued it a couple of years ago with Russian markings and different tracks, so If you fancied it in Russian green there you go! :like:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Tamiya bought out a nice new kit in...2009 I think it was, that is the best one, not their old kit from the 60/70s.  Tamiya then re-issued it a couple of years ago with Russian markings and different tracks, so If you fancied it in Russian green there you go! :like:

I'm thinking this one Bob cus I like the box art, what do you reckon...is this the 2009 version 🤔

spacer.png

• Like 5