Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Pssst.... Don't tell Andy, but S04 was tri-color camouflage, not Panzer Grey :D

Theres actually some great GIF's of these Leibstandarte Tiger's in Russia. They are Post Kursk, so Winter '43-'44.

Quote....

http://www.panzerace.net/biography/ostfront-1943-44.html#

Between his being recommended for the Knight’s Cross on 10th January and receiving the award four days later, SS-Untersturmführer Wittmann embarked on a what can only be described as a victory celebration of destruction. Over this short period, Wittmann’s Tiger had knocked out an astonishing twenty-two enemy tanks, which took his total to eighty-eight enemy tanks destroyed. Over the 12th and 13th January alone, Wittmann and his crew knocked out a phenomenal sixteen T34s and three anti-tank guns.

Knight’s Cross winner Michael Wittmann and his crew are congratulated by Joachim “Jochen” Peiper.

The “kill marks” are clearly visible on the Tiger’s gun.

The happy crew. Radio operator Werner Irrgang, gunner Bobby Woll, Michael Wittmann, loader Sepp Rößner, driver Eugen Schmidt

In what was a highly successful series of missions, the only moment of bad luck that took place was when Wittmann lost a front tooth in a freak accident in a Schwimmwagen – though other sources have stated that he had lost the tooth by hitting his head against the cupola of his Tiger after it had driven over an obstacle.

End quote.

Actually I'm well aware of the tri coloured scheme and shall apply it before the whitewash. I have a Tiger book you know 😏 

• Haha 5

I heard a different version of events regarding the loss of Wittmann’s tooth. I heard that he mistook his camo scheme for choc chip and decided to have a bite....thus resulting in the tooth loss 😉👍

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You guys are killing me with these early war non Zimmerit Tigers. 
Makes me want to drag out the RFH and ignore the interior. 

No rules remember Lee we will build what we want when we want 😏 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I heard that he mistook his camo scheme for choc chip and decided to have a bite....thus resulting in the tooth loss 😉👍

You mean he confused his Tiger for a muffin.......... you learn something new everyday

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, M3talpig said:

You mean hw confused his Tiger for a muffin.......... you learn something new everyday

Its all in my Tiger book Steve. Let me know if you want to increase your knowledge base and I'll sell you a copy 😉 😊 😀 👍 

• Haha 6

I'm only to happy to share my vast armour knowledge with my buddies that way we all learn together. This thread is now going through page's quicker than Lee can chop down a rainforest....😏👍

• Haha 4

So this thread is now 41 pages long and if I'm correct we have achieved 3 completed builds......hmmm an average of 13 pages per build......there's a whole lot of mullarkey going on here 🙄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Awesome work, Sean.... I love the camouflage on this one !!

What's next, another Tiger ? :D

Unfortunately not, I don’t have another Tiger in the stash. But I do have a Meng Jagdpanther lurking somewhere so I may not be done with the German cat’s :hmmm:

I’m planning on setting this one in a little bocage scene, so I’m not done with it just yet :D

Sean

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Unfortunately not, I don’t have another Tiger in the stash. But I do have a Meng Jagdpanther lurking somewhere so I may not be done with the German cat’s yet :hmmm:

I’m planning on setting this one in a little bocage scene, so I’m not done with it just yet :D

Sean

Don't forget the Pz III Group build coming up ;) 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Pssst.... Don't tell Andy, but S04 was tri-color camouflage, not Panzer Grey :D

Theres actually some great GIF's of these Leibstandarte Tiger's in Russia. They are Post Kursk, so Winter '43-'44.

Quote....

http://www.panzerace.net/biography/ostfront-1943-44.html#

Between his being recommended for the Knight’s Cross on 10th January and receiving the award four days later, SS-Untersturmführer Wittmann embarked on a what can only be described as a victory celebration of destruction. Over this short period, Wittmann’s Tiger had knocked out an astonishing twenty-two enemy tanks, which took his total to eighty-eight enemy tanks destroyed. Over the 12th and 13th January alone, Wittmann and his crew knocked out a phenomenal sixteen T34s and three anti-tank guns.

Knight’s Cross winner Michael Wittmann and his crew are congratulated by Joachim “Jochen” Peiper.

The “kill marks” are clearly visible on the Tiger’s gun.

The happy crew. Radio operator Werner Irrgang, gunner Bobby Woll, Michael Wittmann, loader Sepp Rößner, driver Eugen Schmidt

In what was a highly successful series of missions, the only moment of bad luck that took place was when Wittmann lost a front tooth in a freak accident in a Schwimmwagen – though other sources have stated that he had lost the tooth by hitting his head against the cupola of his Tiger after it had driven over an obstacle.

End quote.

If I might attend to a small misquote; 

"Though other sources have started he lost a tooth by hitting his head against the cremweiss cupola of his Tiger, which matched the hatch, after it had driven over an obstacle..."

Thank you,  point made, say no more...

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

If I might attend to a small misquote; 

"Though other sources have started he lost a tooth by hitting his head against the cremweiss cupola of his Tiger, which matched the hatch, after it had driven over an obstacle..."

Thank you,  point made, say no more...

Brilliant.......🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You guys are killing me with these early war non Zimmerit Tigers. 
Makes me want to drag out the RFH and ignore the interior. 

RFH Tiger?

Come on fella pull those big boy pants on and get a proper a Tiger kit to play with...

In a suitable color obviously.

See i even spelt colour incorrectly just to make you feel at home! :bleh:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

RFH Tiger?

Come on fella pull those big boy pants on and get a proper a Tiger kit to play with...

spacer.png

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

RFH Tiger?

Has to be a Dragon kit imo....my extensive knowledge of these kits tells me that they are the best option available 😏

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, Andy J said:

Has to be a Dragon kit imo....my extensive knowledge of these kits tells me that they are the best option available 😏

You appear to be right. Looking on tiger info, both schemes I wanted to do on my Tamiya kit are wrong as they're both 8/ss Pz Rgt 2 belonging to Das Reich, and those boys made their own custom turret bins in the unit workshop between the factory and the front and Tamiya only supply the standard bin from the next production batch. Dragon did the correct bin in one of their kits but it was made of pure unobtainium. They also re-relaesed the plastic with new decals as a 30th anniversary thing, and that issue has BOTH my preferred schemes in too. It took some doing, but I've managed to find one and it cost a lot less than the £91 a Chinese seller wanted on that eBay. 

Until it arrives, I'll just have to finish my four outstanding GB entries and do the Tamiya kit as a vanilla early Tiger and then I can crack on. :)

Andy

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

You appear to be right. Looking on tiger info, both schemes I wanted to do on my Tamiya kit are wrong as they're both 8/ss Pz Rgt 2 belonging to Das Reich, and those boys made their own custom turret bins in the unit workshop between the factory and the front and Tamiya only supply the standard bin from the next production batch. Dragon did the correct bin in one of their kits but it was made of pure unobtainium. They also re-relaesed the plastic with new decals as a 30th anniversary thing, and that issue has BOTH my preferred schemes in too. It took some doing, but I've managed to find one and it cost a lot less than the £91 a Chinese seller wanted on that eBay. 

Until it arrives, I'll just have to finish my four outstanding GB entries and do the Tamiya kit as a vanilla early Tiger and then I can crack on. :)

Andy

If you do the second S33, from Das Reich, the one moving through the forrest, with the Paratroops on board, you can use the standard turret bin and the track hangers off the turret sides. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Anybody else noticed the side pic of S33 with the Para's riding on has no front wheel assembly ...not just outer road wheel...the entire assembly

I read somewhere that in muddy or deep snow front wheels where removed to help stop clogging of suspension/breaking of wheels due to pressure

Stay safe       Roger 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

I read somewhere that in muddy or deep snow front wheels where removed to help stop clogging of suspension/breaking of wheels due to pressure

Yeah normally the outer wheel not the entire assembly ....although that is probably a very good reason ....you can see that the entire suspension is now struggling to hold the sprocket of the ground......seen lots of pics of the outer road wheel removed but not the entire set

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Longbow said:

If you do the second S33, from Das Reich, the one moving through the forrest, with the Paratroops on board, you can use the standard turret bin and the track hangers off the turret sides. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's a step forward (net - actually two forward but one back). I'm using the 1/48 kit which has the standard turret bin and includes track links to hang from the turret - but they're one piece so I can't do just the hangers (and tiger info tells me the scheme in the instructions that uses them is wrong as the real life tank didn't have them). I'll have to check the mantlet too but this is looking odds on to be my first build for this thread now.

Thinking back to the info on Tiki, does anyone have an opinion on whether S33 in the above pictures would be more likely to be RAL8000 than RAL7028, prior to the spring 1943 three colour repaint? 

Andy

• Like 1