Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

So as promised I've made a start on the Wittmann Tiger l. Now bare in mind this is my first Dragon kit and easily the most detailed kit I've built to date so there's not a massive amount of progress but nevertheless I'm up and running which is the most important thing. Getting used to the layout of the instructions is a bit of a challenge and finding the parts required more so. There's a lot of parts sprues in this kit with the same letter stamped on which is slightly confusing but something I'm getting used to. Imo the level of detail is superb and although this build will take a while I'm certain that the end result will be worth it. Here's today's progress pic's, like I say nothing amazing but very enjoyable 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The details on the sprocket wheels alone is great I'm looking forward to continuing the build tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 9

1 minute ago, vytautas said:

Oh yes, the Dragon models are very good at building, and if the instructions were error-free and not confusing, it would be a total pleasure.

Vytautas

I agree Vytautas some of the instructions are confusing.....especially for a Dragon virgin like me 🙄👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

You are not alone ....none for my morning coffee either. back to breakfast whisky for me but it's just not the same

Well stocked with the G in G&T, supplies are going to take me well into easter...

LOL, wishful thinking;)

So short update on the 503#123.

While waiting for the Star to sort out their CS stuff, an since I am using the #123 reloading picture as "my" reference:

2v2H5fHYNx6eHcV.jpg

I decided to use the Star turret bits for a better purpose.

No rivet counting please the bits and blobs are there to show "something" since loaders and commanders hatches are displayed open.

2v2HNETJnx6eHcV.jpg

Following Jasper dog's inspiring example! I will be fettling with the side skirts (notice the bend = I will have to do this on all 8 segments and will still be out of alignment...)

2v2HNETQDx6eHcV.jpg

Torsions bars are in, still think the only reason to do this is to cut off the locating pin to the swing arm to make it move - way  fiddly and probably not worth it...

2v2HNETeyx6eHcV.jpg

Thank you guys for being here - I really enjoy the BM site as such!

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling in 2021!

Zack

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Zack said:

Well stocked with the G in G&T, supplies are going to take me well into easter...

LOL, wishful thinking;)

So short update on the 503#123.

While waiting for the Star to sort out their CS stuff, an since I am using the #123 reloading picture as "my" reference:

2v2H5fHYNx6eHcV.jpg

I decided to use the Star turret bits for a better purpose.

No rivet counting please the bits and blobs are there to show "something" since loaders and commanders hatches are displayed open.

2v2HNETJnx6eHcV.jpg

Following Jasper dog's inspiring example! I will be fettling with the side skirts (notice the bend = I will have to do this on all 8 segments and will still be out of alignment...)

2v2HNETQDx6eHcV.jpg

Torsions bars are in, still think the only reason to do this is to cut off the locating pin to the swing arm to make it move - way  fiddly and probably not worth it...

2v2HNETeyx6eHcV.jpg

Thank you guys for being here - I really enjoy the BM site as such!

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling in 2021!

Zack

Same to you Zack keep up the good work 👍 👏 

7 minutes ago, Zack said:

Well stocked with the G in G&T so supplies are going to take me well into easter...

Have one for me Zack.................better yet pop one in the post ...will PM my address :rofl:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Have one for me Zack.................better yet pop one in the post ...will PM my address :rofl:

Was waiting for you to wake up on that one 🤔  - PM and the envelope with the etch is in the mail.

Can't do the small PE bits any longer (+2.0) and life is to short / to many kits still waiting😎

Hope you can enjoy! :)

//Z

• Like 3

So concerning the Tiger build I have a few questions to ask ;

In the photo Steve posted of the Wittmann Tiger and crew the various hatches are all open. I'm assuming that the crew jumped out for the photo shoot and then returned to their positions and moved on. To be true to the pic I'm going to leave my hatches open so what colour would the inside of the hatches be please?

Also on the kit the idler arm moves backwards and forwards so should I leave this loose until I've adjusted the tracks?

And finally I've checked different references and they all say no zimmerit on Wittmann’s winter Tiger....do you agree?

Thanks in anticipation 🙂👍

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So concerning the Tiger build I have a few questions to ask ;

In the photo Steve posted of the Wittmann Tiger and crew the various hatches are all open. I'm assuming that the crew jumped out for the photo shoot and then returned to their positions and moved on. To be true to the pic I'm going to leave my hatches open so what colour would the inside of the hatches be please?

Also on the kit the idler arm moves backwards and forwards so should I leave this loose until I've adjusted the tracks?

And finally I've checked different references and they all say no zimmerit on Wittmann’s winter Tiger....do you agree?

Thanks in anticipation 🙂👍

Yes, leave the idler lose until your ready for track figment. 

No.... No Zim on this Tiger. 

Inside of the crew hatches at this time would be the dark yellow of the outer color. 

Sorry for the short reply, I’m between calls. 

Edited by Longbow
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Inside of the crew hatches at this time would be the dark yellow of the outer color. 

Thanks Lee much appreciated 🙂👍

21 minutes ago, Longbow said:

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Lee much appreciated 🙂👍

Wooooh.... inside of hatchs, dunkelgelb??

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd have gone off-wight sort of ivory colour..

As for dragon instructions, thats half the fun...occasionally they even match with reality!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

As for dragon instructions, thats half the fun...occasionally they even match with reality!

Not at this time in the war. 
White hatches stood out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tbh Darryl if I hadn't asked I'd have probably gone cremweiss or something similar. I can live with the instructions mate because the kit looks to be excellent 🙂👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Not at this time in the war. 
White hatches stood out like a sore thumb. 

Cool thats fine, just checking....:whistle:

If you say so...:bleh:

4 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Tbh Darryl if I hadn't asked I'd have probably gone cremweiss or something similar. I can live with the instructions mate because the kit looks to be excellent 🙂👍

Look at you Cremwiss, even picking up the lingo!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Cool thats fine, just checking....:whistle:

If you say so...:bleh:

Look at you Cremwiss, even picking up the lingo!

Yes Darryl consider yourself told ......he can be abrupt at times our Lee bless him......as for the lingo well...when in Rome.....😉👍

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Here’s the restored Bovington Tiger. 

The white hatches, early in the war, became magnets for opposition troops aiming at the exposed crew. 

spacer.png

Thanks Lee that's actually a great reference pic for later in my build 👍

Thoroughly chastised!

Pssst, don't tell old Captain Chaos but Wittmanns early Tiger, clues in the name Early... 

Tbh, I'm not 100% and I'm sure and our bud from the colonies might differ and he's far more knowledgeable than I but early Tiger in Panzer Grey....

Just between you and I, ivory white, just don't tell Lee!!:tomato:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Here’s the restored Bovington Tiger. 

The white hatches, early in the war, became magnets for opposition troops aiming at the exposed crew. 

spacer.png

Sure you've note just photo- shopped that...

:giggle:

• Haha 3

Those AFV Club tracks aren’t half fragile even when glued to create link and length sections. But they’re on and now I can build the diorama for it now the Tiger is pretty much completed :thumbsup:

20210105_203038

20210105_203051

Sean

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Those AFV Club tracks aren’t half fragile even when glued to create link and length sections. But they’re on and now I can build the diorama for it now the Tiger is pretty much completed :thumbsup:

20210105_203038

20210105_203051

Sean

Nice work Sean looks great 👍. Another completed Tiger build for the thread 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thoroughly chastised!

Pssst, don't tell old Captain Chaos but Wittmanns early Tiger, clues in the name Early... 

Tbh, I'm not 100% and I'm sure and our bud from the colonies might differ and he's far more knowledgeable than I but early Tiger in Panzer Grey....

Just between you and I, ivory white, just don't tell Lee!!:tomato:

Pssst.... Don't tell Andy, but S04 was tri-color camouflage, not Panzer Grey :D

Theres actually some great GIF's of these Leibstandarte Tiger's in Russia. They are Post Kursk, so Winter '43-'44.

Quote....

http://www.panzerace.net/biography/ostfront-1943-44.html#

Between his being recommended for the Knight’s Cross on 10th January and receiving the award four days later, SS-Untersturmführer Wittmann embarked on a what can only be described as a victory celebration of destruction. Over this short period, Wittmann’s Tiger had knocked out an astonishing twenty-two enemy tanks, which took his total to eighty-eight enemy tanks destroyed. Over the 12th and 13th January alone, Wittmann and his crew knocked out a phenomenal sixteen T34s and three anti-tank guns.

Knight’s Cross winner Michael Wittmann and his crew are congratulated by Joachim “Jochen” Peiper.

The “kill marks” are clearly visible on the Tiger’s gun.

The happy crew. Radio operator Werner Irrgang, gunner Bobby Woll, Michael Wittmann, loader Sepp Rößner, driver Eugen Schmidt

In what was a highly successful series of missions, the only moment of bad luck that took place was when Wittmann lost a front tooth in a freak accident in a Schwimmwagen – though other sources have stated that he had lost the tooth by hitting his head against the cupola of his Tiger after it had driven over an obstacle.

End quote.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

20210105_203038

20210105_203051

Sean

Awesome work, Sean.... I love the camouflage on this one !!

What's next, another Tiger ? :D

• Haha 2