Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

54 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I found that out as well Sean, most makes of plastic "workable track" are just too fragile so now I treat them like link and length tracks and glue them together, with the wheels where possible to make a stronger assembly, it's worth the extra effort in painting them like this.

That’s very much how I’m treating the second track. Although the road wheels are separated because I pushed them onto the suspension arms to test fit and then realised the only way some were coming off again was with pieces of the suspension :doh:

35 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have a number of sets of the AFV Club tracks to replace the Dragon DS tracks too. 

It seemed like a sensible option, for the price. 

That was my thought process. Especially as a set of metal tracks would be somewhat wasted when they get muddied up for the little diorama it’s going to sit in.

Sean

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Andy J said:

The paint was some old bottles of AK dark yellow and the colour is way off mate. I will re paint it and start again one session at the bench should sort it out. As for a gap filler I received this kit from someone for Xmas and though an old kit I quite like the subject, especially in a tri coloured nato scheme 

Good, Tamiya classic, can't go wrong...

So stop procrastinating and get on with it....😉

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Another noob question, sorry.  Is the over-long barrel common to all the RFM Tigers?   I'd assume so, but thought it best to check.

As far as I know it is,  easy fix, 3mm off the barrel, if memory serves, best place is just behind the muzzle brake.

23 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Another noob question, sorry.  Is the over-long barrel common to all the RFM Tigers?   I'd assume so, but thought it best to check.

As far as I know they fixed it immediately, so you will find it only in kit 5001 "Tiger 1 Initial Production".

David

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Seeing as we are discussing the Rye Field kits.....

Quick question for @DByrden , if I could....

Is it possible to back date RFM's 5025 to Lt. Meyer's Tiger, with S.Pz.Abt. 502 ?

If so, which mantlet is used ?

Off the top of my head, it should not be too difficult. The mantlet will be the biggest problem because Meyer had a "thick wide" mantlet that no plastic kit provided  until Dragon released their 6950. The new kit coming from Border Models is also supposed to have this mantlet.

Rye Field put the holes in the front plate above the driver's visor. That's an error for a Fehrmann tank but it's actually what you want for Meyer.

One problem that you will face is the hull roof. The kit has a rear cover on the engine compartment with the "triangle" panel added, and the hook on the engine hatch is moved accordingly. Meyer's tank predates that.

Meyer's tank had the S-mine system but he didn't install the launchers. That wouldn't be a problem if RFM had modelled it correctly, but they didn't. You need to either install everything or cut and modify their rear launcher supports.

Another little thing is that Meyer had the welded-type loader's hatch. That's actually provided in Rye Field's kit but they did it badly. Doesn't look real.

David

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DByrden said:

Off the top of my head, it should not be too difficult. The mantlet will be the biggest problem because Meyer had a "thick wide" mantlet that no plastic kit provided  until Dragon released their 6950. The new kit coming from Border Models is also supposed to have this mantlet.

Rye Field put the holes in the front plate above the driver's visor. That's an error for a Fehrmann tank but it's actually what you want for Meyer.

One problem that you will face is the hull roof. The kit has a rear cover on the engine compartment with the "triangle" panel added, and the hook on the engine hatch is moved accordingly. Meyer's tank predates that.

Meyer's tank had the S-mine system but he didn't install the launchers. That wouldn't be a problem if RFM had modelled it correctly, but they didn't. You need to either install everything or cut and modify their rear launcher supports.

Another little thing is that Meyer had the welded-type loader's hatch. That's actually provided in Rye Field's kit but they did it badly. Doesn't look real.

David

Thank you, David !!

I have two kits of 6950, which I had planned to build as Das Reich Kursk Tigers. 

Wonder how hard a cross kit would be....

14 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Thank you, David !!

I have two kits of 6950, which I had planned to build as Das Reich Kursk Tigers. 

Wonder how hard a cross kit would be....

The "Kursk Tiger" project should be easy, because many of these Kharkov Tigers ended up at Kursk, with new paint and new numbers. So Dragon can simply re-release that kit some day as "Kursk Tiger".

It should also be very straightforward to make a "Meyer" out of it. Let me know if you get serious about this, and I will list the changes.

David

• Thanks 1

Just now, DByrden said:

The "Kursk Tiger" project should be easy, because many of these Kharkov Tigers ended up at Kursk, with new paint and new numbers. So Dragon can simply re-release that kit some day as "Kursk Tiger".

It should also be very straightforward to make a "Meyer" out of it. Let me know if you get serious about this, and I will list the changes.

David

Thanks, David.... I actually struggle with whitewash, as a few here can testify to :D

First on the block will be Carius' 217, I think. This will give me a test run for another whitewash attempt. 

At least 1 DR Kursk vehicle is definitely on the list to be built.

• Haha 1

Well folks...

We have a finished Tiger I. 

The build and paint was quite enjoyable, even with the work breaks over the weekend. 

I would recommend the build, if you’re looking for something not overly involved, but contains all the bits that a modeler may want to add. 
This is OOTB, except for tow ropes. 

Here’s some pix. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Tiger looks great,  you've almost made it look too easy....

...time to do a winter one with worn white wash?

Or for that matter perhaps one of the camouflaged early grey ones?

That is once you've finished the diorama!

Said it before and its only a small thing but ...the weathering on the roadwheels looks great.

Atb

• Thanks 1

Update time.. 

resized_aa963150-7355-4349-94e6-a2f38b13

The exhaust area was blackened and rusted to kind of simulate the real thing. (I know it's kind of weird from this angle but it looks good.) 

resized_09a17f61-85af-4041-91ab-e01a72ba

The front plate had it's zimm applied, auto filler and bolt thread method. 

resized_2605cd85-5762-47b9-b6c1-3e361144

The hatches were attached, as was the front plate. The bow MG was fitted as well. 

The bow MG is actually quite a nice piece, it's mounting is fitted in a way that it still moves like an MG in a ball mount. 

4500418c-aaf7-463b-966f-e3d81cfaec52.jpe

Phir milenge

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tiger looks great,  you've almost made it look too easy....

...time to do a winter one with worn white wash?

Or for that matter perhaps one of the camouflaged early grey ones?

That is once you've finished the diorama!

Said it before and its only a small thing but ...the weathering on the roadwheels looks great.

Atb

Thanks, Darryl !!

I made a start on the figures, last night, and two more Tigers should be here tomorrow. 

I have plans, lol :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zack said:

👍
Will look great with those additions!
Modellcasten tracks?

Zack

These are the MK tracks, they are a stunning bit of kit but rather expensive now, I bought these about 12 years ago when they were cheap. 

I've knocked a few of these tracks out for various builds and apart from the separate guide teeth I think they are one of the best out there. 

You can still get these from Amazon but they are now almost 4 x the price I paid for them :frantic: Still its worth keeping an eye on them as the prices do fluctuate a hell of a lot. 

P1090099

P1090100

P1090101

P1090102

And the set for the turret spare links. Bit of a con that you don't get the full amount of links to add the spares ! 

P1090104

P1090103

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Thanks, Darryl !!

I made a start on the figures, last night, and two more Tigers should be here tomorrow. 

I have plans, lol :D

That's going to be impressive,  three tigers with the associated figures and ground work...!

Sure it won't take up much space....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Dan, having never tried Modelkasten, what's the advantage of Fruils or some of the other metal tracks?

They are just superb mate, beautifully detailed and I believe they are accurate, these came out probably 25 years ago and can still go head to head with 

with more recent companies tracks. Plus MK make tracks for tanks that no other company has done so they were the only choice for a lot of vehicles.

I do like fruil as you can use burnishing fluid which is a real time saver for weathering up and finishing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

That's going to be impressive,  three tigers with the associated figures and ground work...!

Sure it won't take up much space....

Noooo Lol

All 3 won’t be on one base :D

Even I’m not that crazy 😜 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1