Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

I'll take punt, your good lady wife doesn't read your posts?

What do you mean? ....she types them for me. :wicked:

I always tell people the truth that she is in the local coven, she thinks its funny.  She even bought a picture of a witch flying off on a broomstick entitled "Off to Work"

Once I have a coat of dunkelgelb on I will finish off my two Panthers in the GB.

Welcome back Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

What do you mean? ....she types them for me. :wicked:

I always tell people the truth that she is in the local coven, she thinks its funny.  She even bought a picture of a witch flying off on a broomstick entitled "Off to Work"

Once I have a coat of dunkelgelb on I will finish off my two Panthers in the GB.

Welcome back Andy

Thanks Bob....stick wrong end of 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hi Bob, for what it's worth i think the zimmerit may look ok once painted and weathered 🤔. Mr colour leveling thinner would probably soften the plastic however care would be required or you might end up with only half a Tiger 😬

Although I am by no means a Tiger expert in any way, I’d have to agree with you. This is my build of a Dragon Tiger that I’m in the process of finishing and I quite like the effect. It doesn’t look as good as the alternative versions of zimmerit that I’ve seen you guys using on the Panthers in the STGB, but for mere mortals like me it’s sufficient :) 

20201226_213751

20201226_213727

My photo’s aren’t the best but they show the zimmerit effect reasonably well.

Sean

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mozzy19 said:

Although I am by no means a Tiger expert in any way, I’d have to agree with you. This is my build of a Dragon Tiger that I’m in the process of finishing and I quite like the effect. It doesn’t look as good as the alternative versions of zimmerit that I’ve seen you guys using on the Panthers in the STGB, but for mere mortals like me it’s sufficient :) 

20201226_213751

20201226_213727

My photo’s aren’t the best but they show the zimmerit effect reasonably well.

Sean

I agree Sean that zimmerit looks perfectly acceptable to me but like yourself I'm no expert either 😉 👍

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Hi Mozzy, it does look better under a coat of paint, I'm hoping that I can soften the effect and then some Mr Surfacer will improve it to how I could get zimmerit to look when I applied it with filler.  When I was stationed over in Germany, a German modeller gave me some filler to make zimmerit, it was great stuff, slow drying so you could get a even pattern, unfortunately it's long since dried up, but I have not found anything like it in this country.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Cauliflower and Sprout soup ??

Ye Gads !! 

Seriously ??!! 😂

Totally!!!, She has made carrot and sprout before, not that I would eat it, or do anything else with it!!!:shrug:

I'm only human. 😛

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Mozzy, it does look better under a coat of paint, I'm hoping that I can soften the effect and then some Mr Surfacer will improve it to how I could get zimmerit to look when I applied it with filler.  When I was stationed over in Germany, a German modeller gave me some filler to make zimmerit, it was great stuff, slow drying so you could get a even pattern, unfortunately it's long since dried up, but I have not found anything like it in this country.

I think I may have inadvertently managed to soften the effect in places purely by being a bit heavy handed with the ol’ paintbrush and not paying attention. What was it Bob Ross once said, “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents”... :whistle:

Sean

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:What was it Bob Ross once said, “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents”... :whistle:

Sean

Tell that to Retired Bob 🤣

19 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

IWhat was it Bob Ross once said, “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents”... :whistle:

Sean

11 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

I think I may have inadvertently managed to soften the effect in places purely by being a bit heavy handed with the ol’ paintbrush and not paying attention. What was it Bob Ross once said, “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents”... :whistle:

I know it sounds as if I'm unhappy with Dragons zimmerit, it's just they did much better with their Panther, JagdPanther and Panzer IV's.  With their Tiger and King Tiger they plastered it on whole panels without leaving areas for exhausts and other bolted on bits.  Sean, did you remove the zimmerit before adding the exhaust pots and covers?

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Sean, did you remove the zimmerit before adding the exhaust pots and covers?

I didn’t. I’d seen that it needed to be removed in previous builds but I’d forgotten what I’d read by the time I got round to building it.

Sean

• Like 2

19 hours ago, robw_uk said:

anyone built Zvezda Pz. Kpfw. VI Tiger E (3446) - seems to come with link & length tracks - Scalemates would seem to give it an "ok"

All I can say is that some of the lads built Zvezda kits in the Panther GB, produced roughly the same time as their Tiger, and they looked rather good. Not as detailed, or complicated,as others, but finish to nice looking models. Prices of kits are very reasonable too.

• Like 1

Here's a question to lob the tiger amidst the  pigeons..

Tunisia based /operated Tigers...colour?      Graugrun  RAL 7008 

Braun       RAL  8020

Sandgelb  RAL  ?

Or anything else I've not thought of?

:worms:

I'm thinking single colour as opposed to the camouflage example like the bovington one?

My idea, for now, being either Tiger 141

or 241. 141 is the easy option, 241 requires slight modifications like the 20odd Jerry can rack on the turret roof and moving headlamps..

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Well, I will try and lighten the mood to it's usual level.  I'm already in the poo, upset the wife by emptying her cauldron (yes, she's a Witch, burn her, others have tried) apparently the concoction in said cauldron was her attempt at making soup....cauliflower and sprout soup....ye gods haven't we suffered enough this year without something like this?

Anyway back to the modelling, welcome to the thread David, Andy come back to us, you're Tiger looks great (said like in the Frosties advert) 

This is where I have got too with my Tiger, like David said their zimmerit is not great, I have been trying to improve it by applying Tamiya extra thin glue to soften it and then rework it with a screwdriver zimmerit tool, it didn't work, I will have to try a stronger solvent.  I am still hoping to get a coat of paint on before the year is out. (wheels and sprockets done) :winkgrin:

IMG_1459

As a noob, I'm hesitant to question anything and I might be a bit impaired after overindulging the last couple of days, but is that track back to front? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Having re read yesterday's input from various folks I'm now thinking RAL 8000 Gelbbraun...

Or in other words AK 702....:door:

I would go with gelbbraun, though I have those 2 books that @Dads203has, the Histoire & Collections ones, they show a profile in RAL 7008 grey-green. :shrug:

• Haha 1

Were there any in Ducati Red as I have loads of that on the shelf??😉

Gelbbraun looks to be a good colour and a good base to work on. The Tamiya kit I have suggests a 1:1 mix of olive and dark yellow but God knows how that will turn out. I'll probably go with the original Tamiya dark yellow as a base.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Six97s said:

As a noob, I'm hesitant to question anything and I might be a bit impaired after overindulging the last couple of days, but is that track back to front? 

It's ok you're not seeing things impaired, it is on reversed.  Early Tigers had a left and right sided track but later on it was decided to just make a single pattern and reverse it on the other side, the track will only go one way onto the sprocket.  If you have been looking for AM tracks on a well known site you will see mirror pattern tracks advertised, these are the earlier L & R sided tracks, I'm not sure when the change happened, David will know I'm sure. :nod:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's ok you're not seeing things impaired, it is on reversed.  Early Tigers had a left and right sided track but later on it was decided to just make a single pattern and reverse it on the other side, the track will only go one way onto the sprocket.  If you have been looking for AM tracks on a well known site you will see mirror pattern tracks advertised, these are the earlier L & R sided tracks, I'm not sure when the change happened, David will know I'm sure. :nod:  

I should have known better than to question an old hand! 😬  Thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I should have known better than to question an old hand! 😬  Thanks for the explanation.

Absolutely no problem, it's only by research and asking questions that we all learn this stuff.  I have quite a few books on Tigers but it's only as I build a kit do I find out things about them, like why my early Tiger has L & R tracks and a late one has only a single type.  Just don't ask what cauliflower & sprout soup tastes like, that's a step too far! :fraidnot:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Haha 5

Ok so on my return home from work this has arrived 

spacer.png

Full of interesting facts infact I thought i might share a few with you all🙂

Did you know that in the UK there's an armour modeller who doesn't know the difference between a Tiger l and a Tiger ll.....strange but true 🤔

Or the colonial carpenter who reckons that the Tiger l had zimmerit on the horizontal plate 🤭

Then there's some retired chap who reckons the Tiger l ran on secret fuel...sprouts and cabbage he reckons were the main ingredients 🙄

Like I said a hell of a read though I'm disappointed that no crayons were included to colour in the pictures. Now where's the section on rivets 🤔

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I would go with gelbbraun, though I have those 2 books that @Dads203has, the Histoire & Collections ones, they show a profile in RAL 7008 grey-green. :shrug:

I think the colour of my Tiger l is about perfect .....how do I know this.....because it says so in my new book.....chapter 2 titled Andy's perfect colour choice/Tiger l 🙂

• Haha 6