Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's a nice kit Stef, I have one in my stash.  It includes magic tracks so no drama there, they were built before zimmerit was applied and used at Kursk but the lack of defensive weapons and a commanders cupola meant a lot were lost.  The remaining vehicles were returned for a rebuild and renamed the Elephant.

Cheers Bob. I have an Elefant and zim but some of the better paint schemes were on the Ferdinand. And the tracks sound good, just glad they're not the ones Darryl showed a photo of.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Jeez Bob i wish I had half of your knowledge 🙄

I just have lots of books, Rytons heavy panzers has great photos and lots of info, of course SWMBO is not impressed in the slightest. :fraidnot:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

I just have lots of books, Rytons heavy panzers has great photos and lots of info, of course SWMBO is not impressed in the slightest. :fraidnot:

So Rytons heavy panzers would be a good purchase then 🤔 

Just now, Stef N. said:

Cheers Bob. I have an Elefant and zim but some of the better paint schemes were on the Ferdinand. And the tracks sound good, just glad they're not the ones Darryl showed a photo of.👍

I have the Dragon Elephant, the one they brought out before they made one with a zimmerit coating, so I have some Atak zimmerit to correct it, all Elephants had zimmerit.  The DS (Dragon Styrene) one piece tracks have that tendency to shatter, some say it's the paint used but as Darryl and I have found they shatter without any paint on as well.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So Rytons heavy panzers would be a good purchase then 🤔 

They are good books from the USA, I have 4 volumes of them

Heavy Panzers (KingTiger, JagdTiger and Elephant)

Tiger and SturmTiger

Panther

Stugs

Not sure how easy they are to get hold of or price, I bought mine over 10 years ago.  There are newer books on the Tiger, and Amazon would be cheaper. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

They are good books from the USA, I have 4 volumes of them

Heavy Panzers (KingTiger, JagdTiger and Elephant)

Tiger and SturmTiger

Panther

Stugs

Not sure how easy they are to get hold of or price, I bought mine over 10 years ago.  There are newer books on the Tiger, and Amazon would be cheaper. :winkgrin:

Amazon it is then Bob....if i want to up my game I need the knowledge 🙂👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Working now :D

Probably work on the running gear tomorrow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great work Lee just gets better all the time 👍 👏. I shall resume work on my Tiger tomorrow 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't able to get too much modelling time in due to Christmas preps, but some progress was made.

resized_ce8c484c-106f-431a-964a-1ee257f2

The wheels were attached, and boy did I feel for the crew when they had to change wheels or do maintenance......

I will be doing it in steps, like finishing the lower hull and painting it, finishing upper hull and painting it and then doing the turret and painting it, and finally weathering all of them together.

resized_f6bf4cb1-431d-4930-a4f1-afd76b19

The tracks of 1 side done. Tamiya has provided Indi-link tracks which fit very well together, My only grouse is that with the lower part of the body sitting right on top, it is a bit of a pain to fit the tracks, unlike the ISU 152 that I did that had indi-links as well

resized_a4cecd83-6a1b-4471-b4a6-b098bc5e

The rear plate (please forgive the zimmeritt, I am improvising)

resized_6e87831c-c09e-4cc0-9b71-6c13a6bd

The rear plate attached to the body and the silencers partly done.

bcee6300-28e6-4292-b38f-c7b7eac0799b.jpe.

Tiger meme for the day

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Look out fellas Brad's lurking!

Stand by your beds, potential inspection imminent!

Surprising how tiring a day of eating drinking and opening pressies can be!

However I survived and on the other side we have....

spacer.png

Tbh most of which I knew about as I'd orderd or at least sent the good lady wife links too. Somethings I know are being kept back like vol 3 of Der Tiger, really great books btw, no sign of a DW stug...do I order one for the GB and risk getting another in Feb?? (As folk know I'm in no way short of panzer III or stugs to go at)

Said this before but if anyone is interested in German armour and good quality photos the German armour in Italy is tremendous and I believe vol 2 is now out.

In relation to Andy's @Andy J comments about Dragon kits; Dragon was always top dog with 1/35 armour, they had the odd issue, instructions might not always have been as accurate as they could, the sheer quantity of parts could be daunting upon opening the box and of course ds tracks but you get a great kit out of it, with a bit of work. In the day they would come with all the bling, photo etch, metal barrels and parts the occasional nice figure and a nice choice of markings where appropriate. Problem these days the nice bling is disappearing whilst the price rises, saying that, £50 for hours and hours of building pleasure probably isn't a bad deal, cheaper than drinking!

These days with Takom and Meng etc appearing we are rather spoiled for choice.

The Dragon Elephant / Ferdinand is a great kit they do Ferdinand and Elephants with and without zimm and even a Bergpanzer VI (P) if you can find one.

Tamiya Elephant is really nice (one of Tamiyas newer kits) still needs zimm mind and the Tamiya stick on zimm just doesn't look right. I believe the new Zvezda is supposed to be good and very reasonably priced

As an aside the Elephant is probably the tank you'd want to pick if you had to be in one. From what I've read it had the lowest casualty ratio of any German tank. Most being destroyed by the crew due to breakdown. Great tank just poorly utilised and needing further development, the use of electric motors to drive it was quite ambitious for the day...

Andy's Dragon tiger looks excellent, looking forward to seeing you do with one mate.

I'd go Fruils some of the other "workable " aftermarket tracks can be pain from what I've read.

Hope you're non the worse for yesterday!

Lee's Tiger is really looking good with a little chipping and weathering too, glad you kept yourself busy yesterday inbetween eating!

Must agree with yesterday's comments, give me a fun enjoyable build over a pain in the butt super accurate one any day. Apologies but I'm no rivet counter. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vaastav said:

I wasn't able to get too much modelling time in due to Christmas preps, but some progress was made.

The wheels were attached, and boy did I feel for the crew when they had to change wheels or do maintenance......

I will be doing it in steps, like finishing the lower hull and painting it, finishing upper hull and painting it and then doing the turret and painting it, and finally weathering all of them together.

The tracks of 1 side done. Tamiya has provided Indi-link tracks which fit very well together, My only grouse is that with the lower part of the body sitting right on top, it is a bit of a pain to fit the tracks, unlike the ISU 152 that I did that had indi-links as well

The rear plate (please forgive the zimmeritt, I am improvising)

The rear plate attached to the body and the silencers partly done.

Tiger meme for the day

Hi, the home made zimm is looking really good, nice work!

• Like 2

just wondering... is this thread for PURE Tiger I or do variants count (see mention of Elefants and Ferdinands for example (not that i have either of those in the stash of course)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

just wondering... is this thread for PURE Tiger I or do variants count (see mention of Elefants and Ferdinands for example (not that i have either of those in the stash of course)

Merry Christmas Rob,

Just Tiger I, the blatherings about Elephants is just a little thread drift and blathering, probably my fault. Perhaps the Elephant or Elefant and Ferdinand and Panzer VI p would be a possibility of a future one...?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Look out fellas Brad's lurking!

Stand by your beds, potential inspection imminent!

Surprising how tiring a day of eating drinking and opening pressies can be!

However I survived and on the other side we have....

spacer.png

Tbh most of which I knew about as I'd orderd or at least sent the good lady wife links too. Somethings I know are being kept back like vol 3 of Der Tiger, really great books btw, no sign of a DW stug...do I order one for the GB and risk getting another in Feb?? (As folk know I'm in no way short of panzer III or stugs to go at)

Said this before but if anyone is interested in German armour and good quality photos the German armour in Italy is tremendous and I believe vol 2 is now out.

In relation to Andy's @Andy J comments about Dragon kits; Dragon was always top dog with 1/35 armour, they had the odd issue, instructions might not always have been as accurate as they could, the sheer quantity of parts could be daunting upon opening the box and of course ds tracks but you get a great kit out of it, with a bit of work. In the day they would come with all the bling, photo etch, metal barrels and parts the occasional nice figure and a nice choice of markings where appropriate. Problem these days the nice bling is disappearing whilst the price rises, saying that, £50 for hours and hours of building pleasure probably isn't a bad deal, cheaper than drinking!

These days with Takom and Meng etc appearing we are rather spoiled for choice.

The Dragon Elephant / Ferdinand is a great kit they do Ferdinand and Elephants with and without zimm and even a Bergpanzer VI (P) if you can find one.

Tamiya Elephant is really nice (one of Tamiyas newer kits) still needs zimm mind and the Tamiya stick on zimm just doesn't look right. I believe the new Zvezda is supposed to be good and very reasonably priced

As an aside the Elephant is probably the tank you'd want to pick if you had to be in one. From what I've read it had the lowest casualty ratio of any German tank. Most being destroyed by the crew due to breakdown. Great tank just poorly utilised and needing further development, the use of electric motors to drive it was quite ambitious for the day...

Andy's Dragon tiger looks excellent, looking forward to seeing you do with one mate.

I'd go Fruils some of the other "workable " aftermarket tracks can be pain from what I've read.

Hope you're non the worse for yesterday!

Lee's Tiger is really looking good with a little chipping and weathering too, glad you kept yourself busy yesterday inbetween eating!

Must agree with yesterday's comments, give me a fun enjoyable build over a pain in the butt super accurate one any day. Apologies but I'm no rivet counter. 

Nice to have you back Darryl and I did have a minor hangover this morning 🤮. Still I'm feeling much better now and have a stash of armour I'm very excited about, especially the Dragon kit which looks like a deep box packed full of goodies. The box art shows worn white wash which is what I'll go with 🙂. Thing is i have plenty of kits to build now so what order I'll build them in I'm not sure but what a nice problem to have 🙂👍

• Haha 3

On 12/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Longbow said:

That front one is S33, but not the same vehicle as at Kursk. 

811 at Kharkov was renumbered 831, and was then renumbered again as S33 for Kursk, and renumbered again to S22 post Kursk. 

8 Kompanie received replacement Tigers from Leibstandarte, post Kursk, and the photo you have there is one of the replacements, numbered as S33. 

Easy way to tell is the loaders turret episcope and the spare track hangers on the turret sides. 

Its it’s a great subject. 

Hi, 

A week in the Swedish skiing resort Stöten is about to end and my knees are all done with 🎿

Time to plan how to get out of that forest outside Kirowograd... 

Question to you Longbow:

You mention the loaders episcope and spare track hangers on the turret sides. 

I can not see those spare track hangers? In a related picture, S33 driving in front of S13, S13 most certainly has no spare track hangers. Any reference picture that would show this? 

Also, would you (or anyone else) know about any other specifics to this vehicle? 

From what I belive has been confirmed in varioues forums so far:

Commanders cuppola most likely replaced / from different vehicle (whitewash). 

Reinforced gun-mantlet. 

Rear mudgards, heat shields and Feifel cleaners ripped off. 

Only remaining grenade launcher is the rear starboard one. 

Spare track on front armour plate. 

Showel and wooden block should be in place. 

Keep up the good work guys, it is soon 2021!

Until then; Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling! 

Zack 

Edited by Zack
Spelling
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zack said:

Hi, 

A week in the Swedish skiing resort Stöten is about to end and my knees are all done with 🎿

Time to plan how to get out of that forest outside Kirowograd... 

Question to you Longbow:

You mention the loaders episcope and spare track hangers on the turret sides. 

I can not ser those spare track hangers? In a related picture, S33 driving in front of S13, S13 most certainly has no spare track hangers. Any reference picture that would show this? 

Also, would you (or anyone else) know about any other specifics to this vehicle? 

From what I belive has been confirmed in varioues forums so far:

Commanders cuppola most likely replaced / from different vehicle (whitewash). 

Reinforced gun-mantlet. 

Rear mudgards, heat shields and Feifel cleaners ripped off. 

Only remaining grenade launcher is the rear starboard one. 

Spare track on front armour plate. 

Showel and wooden block should be in place. 

Keep up the good work guys, it is soon 2021!

Until then; Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling! 

Zack 

Yes, the episcope can clearly be seen just in front of, and between the loaders hatch hinges. 
The spare track hangers can be seen on the outline of the turret wall. Loaders side. 

It would also have the standard width turret bin, not the wide bin seen on the Das Reich Tigers at Kharkov and Kursk. 

Also take a look here, at DB’s site. 

http://tiger1.info/unit-page/8-DR

spacer.png

• Thanks 1