Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

22 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Oh i see myself more of the officer type ...... Im Blackadder Andy is Baldrick Lee is Melchit and your the Turnip 

What you see and what the world sees may well be two different entities....

Could have gone Percy or the Prince but no a root vegetable.....

Tbh I'd like to think Flasheart!

"Do you know what it's like to feel the wind rushing through your hair.....he does!"

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Do you know what it's like to feel the wind rushing through your hair.....he does!

Especially when he gives baldrick that parting in his hair .................................. that was the funniest clip in TV history :rofl:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Especially when he gives baldrick that parting in his hair .................................. that was the funniest clip in TV history :rofl:

Great minds think alike...fools....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

how much were they with postage Bob

These ones that I ordered are called Sanxin, like the R-Model tracks they come with track pins.  I ordered them through ebay from China, £27.79 including p&p.

How much did it cost for a set of Fruils from their site?

• Like 1

Okay, folks. Here’s the other part of the puzzle. 
5 sets of figures for conversion, and Hornet and Alpine heads. 

spacer.png

The plan is, through blood, sweat, and tears, and the weeping woods, to create something like this....

spacer.png

But of course. It all had to get built first...

So, I’ve cleared off the bench. 

And, away we go....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

These ones that I ordered are called Sanxin, like the R-Model tracks they come with track pins.  I ordered them through ebay from China, £27.79 including p&p.

well postage was £25 but there were 5 sets in the pack so it was a fairly heavy parcel and it was sent via a fully trackable service.......and the tracks themselves were £27-30 a set so not cheap ....certainly not as good a deal as you got from the company you ordered from....but i guess it might take two or three weeks to get them from China....a guess as i say as i have never ordered from that far away

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

The plan is, through blood, sweat, and tears, and the weeping woods, to create something like this....

Base as well ....a lovely picture and if you can convey the cold feeling this will look fantastic

• Like 3

The Zimmerit sheets. 

I taped them down, and sanded the back side, as much as I felt comfortable with. I used pretty rough paper, to reduce the thickness quickly. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the front plate, with minimal work. 
Slight chipping with a sharp blade. 
The top edge has not been touched yet, as this will be sanded once the glue is set. 

Once it’s all set, it may get a rough liquid filler stipple. We shall see. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Measurement for measurement, the turret matches the Tamiya offering.

You can see the difference in shape between the two though.....the late one has a distinct bulge at the gunners hatch compared to the early symmetrical turret on the Tamiya .....thanks for that Lee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longbow said:

This is the front plate, with minimal work. 
Slight chipping with a sharp blade. 
The top edge has not been touched yet, as this will be sanded once the glue is set. 

Once it’s all set, it may get a rough liquid filler stipple. We shall see. 

The chipping definitely makes it look more natural the stippling will help to rough the texture out ...should look fairly convincing when it's all done....by tomorrow morning i guess :rofl:

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

The chipping definitely makes it look more natural the stippling will help to rough the texture out ...should look fairly convincing when it's all done....by tomorrow morning i guess :rofl:

Nooooo ;)

I’m actually enjoying this so far. 
The sheets of Zim actually look better in person than in the pix. 

• Like 4

After much deliberation as to whether my semi skilled modelling would be welcome, I decided to take the plunge and pulled out Tamiya's Tiger 1 Mid. 

resized_ad4488bf-ec80-40c3-b190-ff5c8031

The round thing is a tin of auto filler for the zimmerit. 

I will be doing it as the tank on the box, Tiger 002 of sPzAbt 502 in Russia. 

0094d809-7684-4da3-a4e0-af483db262b8.jpe

This is the only photo I have managed to find of it. If anyone had any other picture please help. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

After much deliberation as to whether my semi skilled modelling would be welcome, I decided to take the plunge and pulled out Tamiya's Tiger 1 Mid. 

resized_ad4488bf-ec80-40c3-b190-ff5c8031

The round thing is a tin of auto filler for the zimmerit. 

I will be doing it as the tank on the box, Tiger 002 of sPzAbt 502 in Russia. 

0094d809-7684-4da3-a4e0-af483db262b8.jpe

This is the only photo I have managed to find of it. If anyone had any other picture please help. 

Super job !!

I have seen a photo recently, but can’t think where. 
Give me a day or 2.... 

And it’s great to have you here too ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

deliberation as to whether my semi skilled modelling would be welcome,

Always welcome Vaastav........nice subject you have picked ...i will also have a dig through my pictures and see what i can find for you.

Good to see you bud

P.S ...i haven't forgotten to do the zimmerit tutorial just been a bit busy :thumbsup:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

The texture on the rolled armor is quite nice. Not too heavy, but definitely there. 
Measurement for measurement, the turret matches the Tamiya offering.
Note that the turret side vision slits are too wide. 

TBH I'm missing the lovely texture you had on the RFM Panther....

Great approach to improving the zim btw.

Does this mean you're going the whole nine yards with a build, figures, trees and a base..... it must be Christmas!

Finished by new year?

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

....certainly not as good a deal as you got from the company you ordered from....but i guess it might take two or three weeks to get them from China....a guess as i say as i have never ordered from that far away

I've orderd stuff from China before, could just have been lucky for a change but stuff has always come and usually before the suggested date too. Some firms give a delivery date a couple of months off but stuff generally takes 2-4 wks in my experience. 

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I know the tracks you mean and I like the pins too, I've a couple of sets on watch but spent too much recently so will have to wait till next year.

The same tracks and photos are on a few different sellers Ebay sites, sometimes under different names with variations in price too.

3 hours ago, Vaastav said:

I will be doing it as the tank on the box, Tiger 002 of sPzAbt 502 in 

Good to have you along Vasstav, no stress just a fun super build, all that's important is that you enjoy it.

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

P.S ...i haven't forgotten to do the zimmerit tutorial just been a bit busy :thumbsup:

Here we go, promises promises.....and I got my playdough at the ready too!

Just a thought, rare I know, this Tiger mega thread is going to be massive......👍😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

TBH I'm missing the lovely texture you had on the RFM Panther....

Great approach to improving the zim btw.

Does this mean you're going the whole nine yards with a build, figures, trees and a base..... it must be Christmas!

Finished by new year?

Yes, Darryl !! Base too. 
I plan on expanding my horizons, as I’ve never built a base/diorama/vignette. 

It may be a long term project. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Yes, Darryl !! Base too. 
I plan on expanding my horizons, as I’ve never built a base/diorama/vignette. 

It may be a long term project. 

Well done for cracking on Lee I have a feeling this is going to be superb when finished and who cares how long it takes im sure it will be worth it 👌 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1