Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

The Hobby Boss 1/16 Tig arrived, just had an initial quick shufti.. interesting to compare with the other "King Kong!" one, obviously this too was envisaged in it's design as having a motorised option, tho kind of seems to be more of a model/ kit for its own sake, that said it's quite simplistic in it's bare bones structure at least, and appears to mainly screw together, with glued on bits as detail. The wheels however, look pretty good here and are streets ahead of the very simplified HL jobs, which are essentially designed to work chugging along your lawn rather than look right.

I'm not attempting a "review" here btw, I'm sure that's been done far better by others, just my impressions in case anyone's interested !

I like the way all the bits and bobs come in little boxes within the main box, a handy way of organising everything. A slight disappointment is that all the hatches, (other than the main cupola ) are just moulded into the surfaces, ( and the jack block which would leave a nasty square hole when cut off ! ) for me these will have to be all cut out and proper hatches put in place. I may just cut the whole top front hull out forward of the engine covers, and replace with one thick sheet of plastic card, which can be cut for hatches and fitted out to suit. If I was going to just scrap the other one for parts I could use the hatches etc off that.... but I'm not going to be that wasteful, that one's going to be built up too !!

The HBoss turret checks out much closer to the tech drawing, with the asymetry, which is great as I can use it as a nice 3 dimensional reference template to assist in the re/scratch building of the turret for Tig no 1..

This is all your fault Mr Pigg....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I knew i would get the blame :D

Well you started it.!!!

I do hope, even though it's Herr Pig's thread (and he's finished his "100"), that this one continues as a Tiger 1 special, where people still come with their Tiger builds and discussion..  ;)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I do hope, even though it's Herr Pig's thread (and he's finished his "100"), that this one continues as a Tiger 1 special, where people still come with their Tiger builds and discussion.

Excellent idea.

3 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Well you started it.!!!

I do hope, even though it's Herr Pig's thread (and he's finished his "100"), that this one continues as a Tiger 1 special, where people still come with their Tiger builds and discussion..  ;)

Well i was gonna start a new project but i just found a new Tiger i want to do....was doing some research on it last night ...even think i found (on google maps) where the vehicle was photographed...well any way gotta a bee in me bonnet about this one so think this will be next. 

First pic is the beast in question...second is where im 99% sure the pic was taken third pic is onroute to the first pic (think i have identified this area too)

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 08/04/2021 at 11:48, Pig of the Week said:

The Hobby Boss 1/16 Tig arrived, just had an initial quick shufti.. interesting to compare with the other "King Kong!" one, obviously this too was envisaged in it's design as having a motorised option, tho kind of seems to be more of a model/ kit for its own sake, that said it's quite simplistic in it's bare bones structure at least, and appears to mainly screw together, with glued on bits as detail. The wheels however, look pretty good here and are streets ahead of the very simplified HL jobs, which are essentially designed to work chugging along your lawn rather than look right.

I'm not attempting a "review" here btw, I'm sure that's been done far better by others, just my impressions in case anyone's interested !

I like the way all the bits and bobs come in little boxes within the main box, a handy way of organising everything. A slight disappointment is that all the hatches, (other than the main cupola ) are just moulded into the surfaces, ( and the jack block which would leave a nasty square hole when cut off ! ) for me these will have to be all cut out and proper hatches put in place. I may just cut the whole top front hull out forward of the engine covers, and replace with one thick sheet of plastic card, which can be cut for hatches and fitted out to suit. If I was going to just scrap the other one for parts I could use the hatches etc off that.... but I'm not going to be that wasteful, that one's going to be built up too !!

The HBoss turret checks out much closer to the tech drawing, with the asymetry, which is great as I can use it as a nice 3 dimensional reference template to assist in the re/scratch building of the turret for Tig no 1..

This is all your fault Mr Pigg....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Glad yours arrived. It’s well packaged, isn’t it?!!

I was also disappointed (although I knew before buying that it was the case) that the hatches were moulded. I cut out the commander’s hatch as I knew it would be covered and any mess would be hidden, but I don’t have the skills or confidence to cut out any other hatches. I heated a metal shot measuring cup which was the right diameter and it just melted through the plastic neatly leaving no mess at all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Great Escape said:

Glad yours arrived. It’s well packaged, isn’t it?!!

I was also disappointed (although I knew before buying that it was the case) that the hatches were moulded. I cut out the commander’s hatch as I knew it would be covered and any mess would be hidden, but I don’t have the skills or confidence to cut out any other hatches. I heated a metal shot measuring cup which was the right diameter and it just melted through the plastic neatly leaving no mess at all.

And why may i ask are we not seeing pics of this build on this thread......Mr escape this is just not cricket sir ...i must insist on a higher level of participation........now pull your finger out :rofl:

• Haha 4

Interesting idea GE using a hot "tube" to cut a hole, I like it !  Like the man said tho, be nice to see some "in progress" pics of your build.

I'll be dremel-ing and filing out my hatches i expect.... that said I'm very likely to just replace the hull top as mentioned and start anew with a basic "clean sheet."

• Like 2

Right... Zimmerit It is now officially a fricken right pain.

Tamiya stuff is time consuming to apply and on the larger areas just peels off when I use the roller or stamp, I've warmed it up to make it softer 

and allowed time for it to stick to the side of the turret but to no avail,  I'm using plenty of water but its just getting to point where I'll just sack off the build as its not fun at all. 

Plan B is to use Magic Sculpt, this is just a bit to soft but it kinda works ? 

I'm going to leave this dry and see If I like it in the morning. 

P1090675

P1090673

What do you guys think ? 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Tamiya stuff is time consuming to apply and on the larger areas just peels off when I use the roller or stamp, I've warmed it up to make it softer 

and allowed time for it to stick to the side of the turret but to no avail

Scrub the the plastic with fine wire wool and hot soapy water (fairy liquid) then give the plastic a heavy key with fine sandpaper, that might help, with emphasis on might.

The magic sculpt version still looks good, so don't get to down with it :thumbsup:

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Magic sculpt I've seen recommended a few times and seen good looking results,  yours looks promising to me, I'd certainly not be getting downhearted at that !

I was planning on going the  Magic sculpt route myself so interested to see your experience...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

What do you guys think

I think the magic sculpt looks fine mate ....actually while your here ...do you want to sell that late muzzle brake barrel you bought in error...if so hit me up because i could use it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

that said I'm very likely to just replace the hull top as mentioned and start anew with a basic "clean sheet."

Clean sheet the SOB just to show that jack block who's boss lol 🤣

Matt

• Haha 4

I think you should definitely perservere with the zimmerit Dan because at the end of the day once painted it will look fine. I think roughing up the surface where you're applying the zimmerit could make all the difference mate well worth a try imo 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh I forgot to mention....inspired by Brad's epic build once I've finished the SU-122 I'm building another Tiger though which one and which kit I'm not sure yet 🤔 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Well i was gonna start a new project but i just found a new Tiger i want to do....was doing some research on it last night ...even think i found (on google maps) where the vehicle was photographed...well any way gotta a bee in me bonnet about this one so think this will be next. 

First pic is the beast in question...second is where im 99% sure the pic was taken third pic is onroute to the first pic (think i have identified this area too)

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Is that Villers Bocage ? 

If so I was there last Aug and had a brew on high street next to where a knocked tiger once sat.

I’m going keep hold of the late barrel mate, I have 3 lates in the stash, soz :frantic:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Is that Villers Bocage ?

No bud but i'm pretty sure that most of these little French villages look much the same...it's a town called "Bourgtheroulde" 

Some sneak peeks at the base ....still lots of work to do and the figures are on there way......not sure i like it ....need to sit and stare at it more :D

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 14

So rather than buying another kit I've decided to finish one i started a while ago. Although there's a couple of issues with the build due to my lack of knowledge and experience at the time I think it deserves finishing off warts and all. So after the SU-122 I will commence work on this kit below 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe a set of Fruil tracks is required 🤔 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

And why may i ask are we not seeing pics of this build on this thread......Mr escape this is just not cricket sir ...i must insist on a higher level of participation........now pull your finger out :rofl:

You lot have seen them in the Work in Progress section, remember?! I’ll post an update when I’ve painted the (correct this time) commander.

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Some sneak peeks at the base ....still lots of work to do and the figures are on there way......not sure i like it ....need to sit and stare at it more :D

I'm going to presume to offer an opinion.

An excellent base but I think the height of the single telegraph pole unintentionally overpowers the scene and distracts from the obvious star of the show.

Respectfully 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1