Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

So after pooping several large bricks i bit the bullet and applied the white..........now i have to say it's still very much a work in progress and there is no other weathering as yet so this is still a blank canvas ....... turret is still waiting as is the running gear but one step at a time as this was an effect with time limits ............

Still an obscene amount of work to do but so far so good :D 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

So after pooping several large bricks i bit the bullet and applied the white...

I get a bit like this every time my other half does some decorating... lol

The camo job looks very cool, very distinctive with nothing on the engine deck top, nice progress both of you :)

Matt

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Aber MG34 fitted to the bow MG position, a very detailed little bit of kit ;)

Still more parts to add yet such as the sight and ammo bag.

P1090646

P1090645

P1090644

P1090643

Second track has been started. 

Enjoy 

You won't get any Russkies attacking your keyboard at least...

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The camo job looks very cool, very distinctive with nothing on the engine deck top,

kinda makes sense when you think about it....... but yes it is unusual ...but then there's a fair bit about this tank that is unusual B)

• Like 1

With this i want to put the oil paints to work rather than using too many made to measure ready mixed weathering solutions.........so too start i'm going over the upper hull and laying down dust of various shades from raw umber, yellow ochre, lamp black and zinc white mixed completely randomly.........applied in corners around details joints and weld beads in the armour once dry starts to take on a nice dust deposit look ......once this is done i will then move to dark pin washes...... so far i have done the front glacis and i'm just starting on the hull roof.

spacer.png 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Btw Herr Pigg, are the oil paints you're using the regular gooey artist's oil paint in a tin tube type thing ?

If so are you using a medium with them or just thinners ?

Windsor and newtons.........and humbrol enamel thinner to clean up and blend........as far as i can tell the only real difference with oils from Abteilung 502 and Windsors is the 502 don't have the same oil content.......i know it looks a bit rough at the moment but it will all start making sense soon when the bigger picture comes together........

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I wondered as I've got some old artist type oil paints in a case somewhere, these could be handy for weathering etc, I just seemed to recall you needed some special medium stuff to thin them before use...a case of experiment I guess...

I just put a little of each colour i plan to use on a piece of blue paper towel to soak away the oil content........then apply to the area with a fine point brush and the blend with a brush dampened i humbrol thinner......rinse and repeat with various colours to get the required finish 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I just seem to remember that artists oil paints can stay wet for literally months !

Hence why we put them on the paper towel and soak the oil out......the stuff i applied last night were dry within 20 mins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First run of oils done on the upper hull ...next dot filtering on hull sides ...then i might do some of the detail painting and some of the dark pin washing............

spacer.png

• Like 9

Compacted mud and dirt behind the running gear was applied last night just before i went to bed...... wet effects will be used in select areas to give depth to the finish ......still lots to be done here but its comin along.

spacer.png

• Like 11

Some of the detail painting is under way....some updates on the oil work and the exhausts mapped and rusted....still have the dirt behind the running gear to finish.......but im getting there ...slowly:D

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Some of the detail painting is under way....some updates on the oil work and the exhausts mapped and rusted....still have the dirt behind the running gear to finish.......but im getting there ...slowly:D

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

That does look rather tasty mate, are you going to add a bit of grim around the turret ring ?

• Thanks 1

My tiny bit of work this evening. Kit supplied PE grills. 

P1090647

P1090648

P1090649

P1090650

Not much but progress. 

Loaders seat and commander seat, I'm probably going to add the turret interior from the Verlinden set, I'll leave the turret escape hatch open so you might just be able to grab a glimpse of some other stuff in the turret.

I have ordered the Archer Tiger 1 interior stencil set plus a Mig Ammo interior paint set just in case.

New cushions to be made from Green stuff putty to try and replicate a more warn appearance I think.

P1090641

P1090652

P1090651

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Hamden said:

that is looking superb, nice work

Thanks Roger

39 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

That does look rather tasty mate, are you going to add a bit of grim around the turret ring ?

Yes mate but the turret is not ready yet and i want to tie the two together ..... it's all going to plan so far :D

• Like 1