Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

I'm building a what if F04 from the Kampfgruppe Schultze, the only difference being in the interior https://tiger1.info/EN/Hydraulic-grilles.html  (I like doing what if). I've replaced the hatches using dragon one because I haven't putted the vision block at first and thanks for pointing me out about the cupola angle, not sure how I can fix it but I'll try (I think I'll do a mess). Also, I can't do mine with mudguard because I don't know why but some time ago I decided to cut them off and now I can't find them anymore.

spacer.png

the second will be much better than this one

As there is no detail under the engine deck vents I photoshopped the cooling fans and radiator.

y4m2aaxq2KvLi1rHF065HmF4RbdkKoaYaittb627

Suitably scaled and folded I aim to stick it in place on some card. The next trick will be to actually fit it as the hull top is fixed.

I've researched L&L track fitting for the Revell Tiger 1 and it's looking a bit tricky. The wheels still need a lot of tidying paint-wise to sort out the mess I made painting the tyres but I thought I'd plan/dry-fit the tracks so I knew where I was going with them. I've drilled the holes in the wheels so that they slide on and off more easily.

One suggestion I found was to put the roadwheels in place without cement, cement the requisite number of indy links to the sprocket and idler so they can rotate, allowing fitting of the lengths to join up at each end and then to cement the tracks round them. This enables further work on the running gear away from the hull as the hull/tracks gap is very limited above the tracks.

y4msWjRUxOpCJ-rqQnow1v9y6tvnkuQ9BHt23p0M

The problem I foresee with this is that there is a row of wheels that are going to be tricky to put in place without cement.

Another route was to fix the roadwheels but not the sprocket or idler. Next to cement the requisite number of indy links to the sprocket and idler so they can rotate, allowing fitting of the lengths top and bottom of the roadwheels to join up at each end.

Has anyone experience of the 1/72 Revell Tiger 1 (03262-0379) track fitting? All suggestions welcome.

Edited by echen
Additional detail.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

If it's got Friuls

Do the Friuls come as part of the kit or are they after-market?

1 minute ago, echen said:

Do the Friuls come as part of the kit or are they after-market?

Aftermarket fella, you get the crappy DS tracks in the kit and they are only fit for the bin :frantic:

Found these little gems in the stash, Just to add to the detail 

P1090578

P1090579

P1090580

P1090581

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Aftermarket fella, you get the crappy DS tracks in the kit and they are only fit for the bin :frantic:

They might be crappy ds tracks but I wouldn't bin them....

Dont let on but I've been getting £10-£15 a time for them on the usual on line auction site....

Pays for half the set of Fruils, or did.. funnily enough they are getting expensive now they've stopped supplying them to the model shops.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Tiger!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Tiger!

I will hazard a guess that he will glue it together and then paint it ....but i might be wrong Darryl :tease:

• Haha 4

On 10/03/2021 at 12:36, echen said:

Pics look great.👍

Thanks echen have no clue what im doing with the new host ...not sure i like it, to be fair might switch back as at least i could select photo size ...new host i can't seem to do that.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

have no clue what im doing with the new host

Pic submission seems to be a perennial issue. I use OneDrive but that seems to fluctuate in its user-friendliness.

• Like 1

Pic's look great to me Steve and the quality of your work is superb 👌 👏. Now crack on and let's see some more progress 😉👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I will hazard a guess that he will glue it together and then paint it ....but i might be wrong Darryl :tease:

Quite the little comedian....

Toddles off for 3mths and then lo-and-behold, back with the comedy gold....

I'll let it slide, this time, without the witty rebuttal... 

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

not sure what i'm doing so let me know how this looks ......

Bit like a Tiger....but as for not knowing what you're doing...didn't like to say but..

I assume you are talking modelling?😉

• Haha 4