Jump to content

Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 and gaffing around SUPERTHREAD


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

A bit quiet on the thread so with all my chores around the house done I thought I would post a picture of both my Tigers and how the painting is going.  The s.Ab.505 Tiger at the back has been freehanded using my H&S  Evolution and Tamiya paints, base is XF-60 dark yellow with XF-79 brown stripes, the XF-3 yellow band around the base of the main gun is covered with masking tape.  The nearer one with Dragon zimmerit will be s.Ab.507, their Tigers appear very dark in photos so I have oversprayed the XF-60 dark yellow with large areas of XF-79 brown and XF-89 green.  Still lots to do but with only just over a week to the start of the Pzr III GB I want to get as far along as possible.  Just resisting starting either of my other Tiger kits. :fight:

IMG_1497

 


Thank you Bob.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, A.R.1989 said:

50879722048_81bb94230b_b.jpg 50880433641_fe9f8aeaf9_b.jpg 50880432171_715f62bd33_b.jpg 50880536707_2662bf4121_b.jpg 50880538492_d648b14ec8_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433276_5a17c836cf_b.jpg 50880433621_76b41e5c1c_b.jpg 50879721278_ca7cfb0942_b.jpg 50880433381_c2a89111e1_b.jpg 50880538322_9223050580_b.jpg 50879721963_9acc4b3e19_b.jpg 50880433386_b692661fb1_b.jpg

 

Morning all, 

 

above are the photos of my WIP Mid Tiger from SPzAbt 506. The Tiger no.7 is purely fictional as no photos exist of the 7th tiger from the first company so I have used some artistic licence. The weathering/mud still needs to be finished as it’s going into a diorama. It will be fairly beaten up as the regiment changed their mid tigers for late tigers with steel wheels in the spring of 44 following a full winters fighting in the Ukraine. 
 

Thanks for being so welcoming and I appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. 
 

 


Hi,
Thank you for posting these - xlnt build.
Saving this to my must go to ;) 

Very Best Regards
Zack
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, Zack said:


Hello Longbow,
Thank you and everyone else who has chipped in here!
Much appreciated :)
I do know that this always was going to be based on speculations but if it is going to be a guesstimate at least it can be the best possible :)
I will put my own summary together later tonight and share them with you for additional comments.

 

Until then - stay safe, hang in there and remember TGIF 🍻 🍸

Zack

 

I know, stubborn like a mule...

So, assuming 123 was an early-early, delivered in Panzer Grey or RAL 7021.
The possible alternatives (to my mind) would be:
1.) Panzer Grey over-painted with Dunkelgelb nach muster, http://panzerbaer.de/colours/a_relaunch/wh_tarn-b.htm suggest a ratio of 2 to 1 DG to PG.
2.) Tropen Scheme #1 RAL 8000 with areas of RAL 7008. Unlikely since this was a very early vehicle, 1942 and not 1943.

3.) 1943 new "standard" RAL 7028 Dark Yellow, RAL 6003 Olive Green,  RAL 8017 Chocolate Brown. Supplied to the troops and field applied.
4.) S13 at Kursk is often depicted in an overall sand with green stripes. Could have bee a variation of the above.

So, no science (this has been debated since the man walked on water) just your opinion or even better, great insight!
Interestingly, a base coat of Vallejo surface Primer 7021 (PG) lightly coated with Vallejo surface primer 7028 (DG) turns... Green 😐 (whooohaa...)
IMG_0463-vi.jpg

So, I give the paint mule a couple of goes tomorrow, out of Tonic again....

Yours truly...
Zack

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Zack said:

 

Yo Dads203,

Think I have one or two, let me confirm #'s. 

6253 is also in the stash, go Ebay and get the $$$ or consider this thread for a 👍

Trying to reduce stash, if suitable only postage & any Brexit (you guys are "overseas" now) add-ons would need to be covered.

Will get back shortly. 

//Z

 

@Dads203

Have the Dragon 6660, drop me a PM if interested.

 

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling :)
Zack 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zack said:

 

@Dads203

Have the Dragon 6660, drop me a PM if interested.

 

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling :)
Zack 

 


PM sent :thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zack said:

 

I know, stubborn like a mule...

So, assuming 123 was an early-early, delivered in Panzer Grey or RAL 7021.
The possible alternatives (to my mind) would be:
1.) Panzer Grey over-painted with Dunkelgelb nach muster, http://panzerbaer.de/colours/a_relaunch/wh_tarn-b.htm suggest a ratio of 2 to 1 DG to PG.
2.) Tropen Scheme #1 RAL 8000 with areas of RAL 7008. Unlikely since this was a very early vehicle, 1942 and not 1943.

3.) 1943 new "standard" RAL 7028 Dark Yellow, RAL 6003 Olive Green,  RAL 8017 Chocolate Brown. Supplied to the troops and field applied.
4.) S13 at Kursk is often depicted in an overall sand with green stripes. Could have bee a variation of the above.

So, no science (this has been debated since the man walked on water) just your opinion or even better, great insight!
Interestingly, a base coat of Vallejo surface Primer 7021 (PG) lightly coated with Vallejo surface primer 7028 (DG) turns... Green 😐 (whooohaa...)
IMG_0463-vi.jpg

So, I give the paint mule a couple of goes tomorrow, out of Tonic again....

Yours truly...
Zack

Number 3 ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2021 at 18:29, Retired Bob said:

A bit quiet on the thread so with all my chores around the house done I thought I would post a picture of both my Tigers and how the painting is going.  The s.Ab.505 Tiger at the back has been freehanded using my H&S  Evolution and Tamiya paints, base is XF-60 dark yellow with XF-79 brown stripes, the XF-3 yellow band around the base of the main gun is covered with masking tape.  The nearer one with Dragon zimmerit will be s.Ab.507, their Tigers appear very dark in photos so I have oversprayed the XF-60 dark yellow with large areas of XF-79 brown and XF-89 green.  Still lots to do but with only just over a week to the start of the Pzr III GB I want to get as far along as possible.  Just resisting starting either of my other Tiger kits. :fight:

 

 

Great paintwork on the Tigers Bob, be nice to see them both completed.

 

One,  just one,  of the problems with this Tiger thread is I find myself scouring online model shops and Ebay for Dragon Tigers, early ones....

When did I find I acceptable to casually contemplate spending £60 on a kit....🤔  😉

 

Saying that I think the window shopping is rather fun, just keep the PayPal account out of it!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

When did I find I acceptable to casually contemplate spending £60 on a kit....

 

I've caught myself thinking the same recently - car kits are now £40-50 and when you add on specific paint for them that's often another 10 -15 quid. And aircraft aren't far behind - the bigger 1/72 Airfix kits are now over £60 with the 1/24 'superkits' well over £100....!! 

 

Keith

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Great paintwork on the Tigers Bob, be nice to see them both completed.

 

One,  just one,  of the problems with this Tiger thread is I find myself scouring online model shops and Ebay for Dragon Tigers, early ones....

When did I find I acceptable to casually contemplate spending £60 on a kit....🤔  😉

 

Saying that I think the window shopping is rather fun, just keep the PayPal account out of it!

 

Not just Tigers - I've bought four 1/35 Shermans this month after reading all the build threads inbetween updates here. I thought I already had all the Sherman's I needed in the stash, but it seems I was very wrong as they were all the wrong scale 😕 

 

Andy

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Foxbat said:

 

Not just Tigers - I've bought four 1/35 Shermans this month after reading all the build threads inbetween updates here. I thought I already had all the Sherman's I needed in the stash, but it seems I was very wrong as they were all the wrong scale 😕 

 

Andy

Excellent news, another convert to the one true armour scale! 😉

Dragon, Tasca/Asuka, RFM, Meng...?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Excellent news, another convert to the one true armour scale! 😉

Dragon, Tasca/Asuka, RFM, Meng...?

 

Covered just about everybody having asked for advice here on BM and read a load of reviews. I have the Asuka M4A1(76)W, Cyber Hobby M4A1(76)W and M4A2(76)W and Airfix (reboxed Academy) M4A3(76)W sitting on the sideboard keeping Tiki company, and the RFM Firefly Vc in the post. I like Shermans with big guns ;) 

 

Andy

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

 

Covered just about everybody having asked for advice here on BM and read a load of reviews. I have the Asuka M4A1(76)W, Cyber Hobby M4A1(76)W and M4A2(76)W and Airfix (reboxed Academy) M4A3(76)W sitting on the sideboard keeping Tiki company, and the RFM Firefly Vc in the post. I like Shermans with big guns ;) 

 

Andy

I haven't purchased a kit for ages 😕...well almost a week which is ages for me 🙄👍

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I haven't purchased a kit for ages 😕...well almost a week which is ages for me 🙄👍

Yeah, but unlike me you've been busy building things. All those boxes may as well be empty unless I actually put glue to plastic - kind of Schroedinger's kits :D 

 

Andy

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

Yeah, but unlike me you've been busy building things. All those boxes may as well be empty unless I actually put glue to plastic - kind of Schroedinger's kits :D 

 

Andy

Well I wasn't being totally truthful about lack of spending as I did pick up a new compressor and airbrush plus a number of other "essential items " 😉👍

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

When did I find I acceptable to casually contemplate spending £60 on a kit....🤔  😉

Nothing casual about it, The new Dragon kits of early Tigers that are for sale on ebay from China at £70+ with the bonus opportunity of some extra import tax to pay with an added handling charge as icing on the cake.  When you look at it that way.....£60 might not be that expensive (I didn't want to say cheap)  Add on the price of any AM, especially tracks and you are quickly up to £100.  It's up to the individual whether that's value for a month or more of entertainment? :hmmm:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Nothing casual about it, The new Dragon kits of early Tigers that are for sale on ebay from China at £70+ with the bonus opportunity of some extra import tax to pay with an added handling charge as icing on the cake.  When you look at it that way.....£60 might not be that expensive (I didn't want to say cheap)  Add on the price of any AM, especially tracks and you are quickly up to £100.  It's up to the individual whether that's value for a month or more of entertainment? :hmmm:

Build a dragon Tiger.... in a month! 

My name ain't Andy, chances of me starting and finishing a build in a month is pretty unlikely. Certainly can't criticise the hobby in that respect, the hours of entertainment v cost ratio is pretty good.

True the cost of aftermarket really hikes the price up, tracks £30, barrel £10-15, figure similar etc etc. Being honest I tend to buy Fruils because not only do they look good and add extra weight but usually darned site quicker, easier and more fun than kit supplied indi links.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Build a dragon Tiger.... in a month! 

My name ain't Andy, chances of me starting and finishing a build in a month is pretty unlikely. Certainly can't criticise the hobby in that respect, the hours of entertainment v cost ratio is pretty good.

True the cost of aftermarket really hikes the price up, tracks £30, barrel £10-15, figure similar etc etc. Being honest I tend to buy Fruils because not only do they look good and add extra weight but usually darned site quicker, easier and more fun than kit supplied indi links.

Interesting subject fellas and tbh I don't tend to think about the cost so much more the fun and enjoyment I can have building the kit's. The majority of the kits I've purchased have been pre owned which does bring the cost down a little as long as you don't mind the odd scuff on the box. In comparison with other hobbies I think ours is fantastic value for money and the addition of a brilliant forum like this one plus the great people who share the forum makes it all worthwhile. As I said earlier fun and enjoyment is number one priority for me without that the rest is pointless imo 🙂👍

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Where are you getting your pre owened kits from Andy? eBay or another site?

 

George

Kingkit are good for pre owned. I picked up a kit for a decent price and as Andy said, only a scuffed exterior to worry about. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Where are you getting your pre owened kits from Andy? eBay or another site?

 

George

Hi George, eBay is full of bargain kits as long as you have the patience to search for them and know how to use the site to your advantage 😉. I also have a very close friend who owns one of the few remaining "proper " old fashioned model shops and i can usually save a few quid on some kits 🙂👍

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Build a dragon Tiger.... in a month! 

Well....I had to put in some time frame, didn't say it would be finished in a month (Andy excepted) could end up in the bin (spares box) or on the shelf of doom. 

 

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

True the cost of aftermarket really hikes the price up, tracks £30, barrel £10-15, figure similar etc etc. Being honest I tend to buy Fruils because not only do they look good and add extra weight but usually darned site quicker, easier and more fun than kit supplied indi links.

This is where the price of a kit can double or more, a kit has everything in it to build the model of choice.  The AM is our personal desire to make it better, the worst thing Dragon did in my opinion was to stop supplying magic tracks, why did they, because some modellers complained they were too time consuming and difficult.  I'm selective now what kits I buy, not because of cost, I'm lucky that I do not have any financial worries, I have storage worries and that applies to where to put them after they are built.  For now I'm happy building my models and spending time on this site, it's better than watching daytime TV and waiting for your next medication time.  :thumbsup:

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of interest if anyone is searching for a specific kit I'm more than happy to ask my model shop owner buddy for his best price and trust me he is very reasonable indeed 😉👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • M3talpig changed the title to Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 and gaffing around SUPERTHREAD

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...