Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I understand now, when you said needles, I thought needles do not have a head, they are for sewing.   You have used dressmaking pins, they have a head, I have used those on my Panther tracks. :winkgrin:

Zack was ahead of the game using dress making pins, but in Swedish they are called needles. :whistle:  (Zack is helping me with my Swedish)

• Haha 3

I have assembled a full set of the San Xin tracks, they assemble really quickly, it only took me a couple of hours even with my old fingers.  There is a BUT, on comparing them with the Fruils I noticed they do not have the chevrons on the track pads.  The San Xin ones have the 4x raised pads on the tread, I will have to delve more into Tiger tracks but I thought that pattern was only on early tracks that had left and right sided tracks, in Oct 43 they went to a single sided link with the raised chevrons for added grip?  Here are the tracks assembled with the 3x Fruils for comparison.

IMG_1486

I assemble my tracks in half lengths so they fit in my burnishing bath. :winkgrin:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

They look good Bob. Very clean. Although I do like the more rougher edged Fruils too. Have you tried out a sample in the burnishing fluid?

I'm not sure whether to just go for it or do test sample with just a few links assembled with pins.  Simon @Redcoat2966 has used these type of Chinese tracks, I wonder if he has had any issues with burnishing them?

22 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

have to delve more into Tiger tracks but I thought that pattern was only on early tracks that had left and right sided tracks,

Only the first nine or so Tigers as far as i can tell used mirror tracks .....the slightly later initials that were delivered to Africa were early tracks IE they were not handed and had no chevron pattern on the shoe and the late were again not handed and did have the chevron pattern...be interested in whether you can burnish those as they don't look like white metal...may have to undercoat those and paint.......look like they went together well though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm not sure whether to just go for it or do test sample with just a few links assembled with pins.  Simon @Redcoat2966 has used these type of Chinese tracks, I wonder if he has had any issues with burnishing them?

HI Both.....I have jus installed R-Model tracks on my Bergepanther and also on my Elephant.....had no issues on the burnishing front. I also have a set of these San Xin tracks on the way too, and doubt also they'll have burnishing issue.

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Only the first nine or so Tigers as far as i can tell used mirror tracks .....the slightly later initials that were delivered to Africa were early tracks IE they were not handed and had no chevron pattern on the shoe and the late were again not handed and did have the chevron pattern...be interested in whether you can burnish those as they don't look like white metal...may have to undercoat those and paint.......look like they went together well though.

None of the books that I have give much info on tracks, I only found that the earlier links had the 4x raised pads, then there was a mention of from Oct 43 raised chevrons were used for better grip.  Trying to buy some Fruils on ebay last December, the only ones that were available were the San Xin non-handed or R-Model which were handed (mirror) plus some plastic workable from Rye Field.  It would appear that if you want metal late pattern tracks with the chevrons your only choices are Fruil or Masterclub. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

I think that if someone was to start making Track Pin sets like the ones in those San Xin tracks suitable for all the Fiulmodel track sets, then they would sell lots and lots of them, just a thought ;)

• Like 1

Temporary transfer of operations indoors to the study.

y4mI9Tvv3icKq9aKJx0cZLsARbGT7h0sor0XJHWX

Now I can stick plastic together and paint it without danger of frostbite............................

y4mdRjyyOLEbfHtIiLV5OruNHSfTR46WE4Jn6ugG

Changed the base colour to Humbrol 93 instead of 94. IMO looks better being a shade lighter and closer to the base of the 505 Tiger 1 I'm aiming at.

y4mpRfNsbSMPLg2oC0KMb7zDDENFIGOB5PSd9zBr

I'd made a start with Humbrol 94 base and Humbrol 32 tyres.

y4mOv7YPuEZR38KAa197lStbeJsuEAEq9P-7MBVN

Still shed-loads to do.

Looking at all the pics of tracks with full runs ready to be fitted it looks like I'm in for some fun fitting individual link/length tracks in the slot between the tops of the wheels and the overhang of the hull - but that's a way off yet.

• Like 6

So off topic I know but I have this kit and would like to use Fruil tracks. I have looked at Historex but I'm a little confused as which are the right ones for this kit. Could someone help me out please and tell me which ones to order 🤔👍

spacer.png

Thanks 🙂👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So off topic I know but I have this kit and would like to use Fruil tracks. I have looked at Historex but I'm a little confused as which are the right ones for this kit. Could someone help me out please and tell me which ones to order 🤔👍

spacer.png

Thanks 🙂👍

I’d try Friul ATL-03......1940-41 40cm tracks...I intend to use a set for my Ausf A Panzer IV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So off topic I know but I have this kit and would like to use Fruil tracks.

In my opinion, the track links from the box are very good. Once used such, bought separately. There was only one problem - a lot of cleaning

And the pins do not need to be glued, they hold well.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 2

Just now, vytautas said:

In my opinion, the track links from the box are very good. Once used such, bought separately. There was only one problem - a lot of cleaning

Vytautas

Yes that's not a bad idea i may well use the kit tracks now and spend the fruil cash on another kit I have my eye on 😉👍

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Yes that's not a bad idea i may well use the kit tracks now and spend the fruil cash on another kit I have my eye on 😉👍

Andy, I save your money, I could be your financial advisor, we would share the profits in half :rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 5

Just now, vytautas said:

Andy, I save your money, I could be your financial advisor, we would share the profits in half :rofl:

Vytautas

75-25 and you have a deal 😂👍

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Yes that's not a bad idea i may well use the kit tracks now and spend the fruil cash on another kit I have my eye on

You should receive a public service award ...for your one man effort to keep all model shops alive in England Wales and Scotland during this time of lockdown............only a shame you couldn't have done what Darryl has and done the same service for all pubs :D....................speaking of which ....has anybody heard from Darryl lately ...bit worried for our fella as all that stormin and flooding goin on recently i know he has to pull out the sandbags every now and then.......................... @Jasper dog hope your ok bud

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

You should receive a public service award ...for your one man effort to keep all model shops alive in England Wales and Scotland during this time of lockdown............only a shame you couldn't have done what Darryl has and done the same service for all pubs :D....................speaking of which ....has anybody heard from Darryl lately ...bit worried for our fella as all that stormin and flooding goin on recently i know he has to pull out the sandbags every now and then.......................... @Jasper dog hope your ok bud

I share your concerns for Darryl Steve and Lee has also been quiet lately hope there both ok 🤔. And I agree Steve i also think some kind of award would be justified 🙂👍

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, vytautas said:

And the pins do not need to be glued, they hold well.

I agree with Vytautas, I bought a couple of sets of those track links to replace rubber band tracks on a couple of Tamiya kits, they made up into nice working tracks without any glue, it was just a lot of effort in cleaning up each link.

19 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I share your concerns for Darryl Steve and Lee has also been quiet lately hope there both ok 🤔

It has been quiet lately,  Not at all good. :fraidnot:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, echen said:

Looking at all the pics of tracks with full runs ready to be fitted it looks like I'm in for some fun fitting individual link/length tracks in the slot between the tops of the wheels and the overhang of the hull - but that's a way off yet.

Is it possible to do what I did with my Tiger build, put the wheels, sprockets and idlers onto the axles without any glue, join up the lower track links and lengths and glue them on, when they are dry slide the assembly off the axles and attach the top run of tracks with glue, the assembly can be slid back on the axles to dry.  Then you have tracks and wheels as removeable sets until you are ready to finally attach them.  I left the idlers loose so I could paint that area of the track better. :winkgrin:

IMG_1462

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I think that if someone was to start making Track Pin sets like the ones in those San Xin tracks suitable for all the Fiulmodel track sets, then they would sell lots and lots of them, just a thought ;)

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Actually you can get just the pins......but very expensive for how many you get......

A word of warning, or at least caution.  I saw what I thought was tracks AND pins, the picture was of a Tiger 1 and the price at £23 including p&p seemed reasonable so I clicked buy.  I received a small jiffy bag with a smaller plastic box containing two bags of small pins, copper coloured flat headed pins and silver coloured track headed pins, in the photo the 3 x longer pins in the center are spare pins from the San Xin set.  The only English letters on the box are KV/IS  so unless someone here reads Mandarin, your guess is as good as mine. :shrug:

IMG_1488

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A word of warning, or at least caution.  I saw what I thought was tracks AND pins, the picture was of a Tiger 1 and the price at £23 including p&p seemed reasonable so I clicked buy.  I received a small jiffy bag with a smaller plastic box containing two bags of small pins, copper coloured flat headed pins and silver coloured track headed pins, in the photo the 3 x longer pins in the center are spare pins from the San Xin set.  The only English letters on the box are KV/IS  so unless someone here reads Mandarin, your guess is as good as mine. :shrug:

IMG_1488

Loosely translated it says " Vely sirry englisman is think metal twacks him Vely disappointed man " 🙂👍

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The only English letters on the box are KV/IS  so unless someone here reads Mandarin, your guess is as good as mine. :shrug:

Judging by that the pins are designed for the KV series or IS series Russian heavy tanks........ so if you bought them for a Tiger they didn't even get that right 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4