Jump to content

Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 and gaffing around SUPERTHREAD


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

It's always difficult to guess the colour from a b&w  photo, I would have gone with a dirty, stained grey? perhaps the barrel has got dust built up, blown back by the muzzle brake on firing? :shrug:

The barrel, being so dark, could be a replacement, in the dark grey heat resistant enamel coating. 
Maybe with a light overspray of dark yellow or just dust, as you say. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished off my Fruil Tiger tracks by burnishing them, after a clean up they are ready to have some pigments applied.  I used the VMS fluids and they worked fine. :winkgrin:

IMG_1480

 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay.... If anyone is thinking of trying the Border Models Tiger I they may want to hang on for a little while.

 

This kit seems to be plagued by a LOT of problems, some of which can be seen in the build photos on the Border Web Site and FB pages. 

 

Accuracy looks more akin to a 70's kit, than a 2021 release. 

I'm hoping that Border try to rectify a few of the issues, as they did with tiger Panzer IV turret issues. 

 

  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Okay.... If anyone is thinking of trying the Border Models Tiger I they may want to hang on for a little while.

 

This kit seems to be plagued by a LOT of problems, some of which can be seen in the build photos on the Border Web Site and FB pages. 

 

Accuracy looks more akin to a 70's kit, than a 2021 release. 

I'm hoping that Border try to rectify a few of the issues, as they did with tiger Panzer IV turret issues. 

 

Glad you posted this mate ...was gonna pre order one ....might hang on a while

 

Edit ...just been on the Faceplant page and David is not happy with it is he........ and rightly so whomever built that must have done it with a spoon and a kitchen knife......and as for all that garbage thrown on the engine deck ......well.......... 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, Longbow said:

It’s definitely not “Panzer Grey” and the differing tones are too much for a Tropen pattern. 
 

I know this isn’t a DR vehicle, but... By Kursk the Das Reich Tigers that fought at Kharkov had already been re-painted in dark yellow, with a green/brown camo. 
 

So... I’m going to say that your 123 is Dark Yellow with a green/brown overspray. 
 

Lee. 


Hello Longbow,
Thank you and everyone else who has chipped in here!
Much appreciated :)
I do know that this always was going to be based on speculations but if it is going to be a guesstimate at least it can be the best possible :)
I will put my own summary together later tonight and share them with you for additional comments.

 

Until then - stay safe, hang in there and remember TGIF 🍻 🍸

Zack

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Glad you posted this mate ...was gonna pre order one ....might hang on a while

 

Edit ...just been on the Faceplant page and David is not happy with it is he........ and rightly so whomever built that must have done it with a spoon and a kitchen knife......and as for all that garbage thrown on the engine deck ......well.......... 

I was really hoping for something close to pretty good. 
Not way off, as this looks to, for now. 
 

On a good note....

 

Well....

 

I’m still looking for a good note....

 

23 minutes ago, Zack said:


Hello Longbow,
Thank you and everyone else who has chipped in here!
Much appreciated :)
I do know that this always was going to be based on speculations but if it is going to be a guesstimate at least it can be the best possible :)
I will put my own summary together later tonight and share them with you for additional comments.

 

Until then - stay safe, hang in there and remember TGIF 🍻 🍸

Zack

 

No problem, Zack. Looking forward to what you come up with. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I finished off my Fruil Tiger tracks by burnishing them, after a clean up they are ready to have some pigments applied.  I used the VMS fluids and they worked fine. :winkgrin:

IMG_1480

 


Looking good Bob,
I have some Uschi van der Rosten stuff inbound - will be interesting to compare the effect 👍

//Z 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of tracks, back in mid December I ordered some Tiger tracks from China, I noted at the time they looked ok and came with track pins but I had never heard of San Xin tracks.  Today the postie delivered the tracks, they are very well molded clean with no flash:

IMG_1482

Nice box art,, driving the Japanese into the sea??

I assembled a small length of 6 links, only took a minute with a pair of tweezers.  I compared them to the Fruils that I have just burnished, by opening the track pin holes with a 0.5mm drill the track pins will fit the Fruils.  In comparison the Chinese tracks assemble a lot quicker but are a bit chunkier and look slightly toy like compared to the Fruils.  In the photo below the 3x Fruil links on the right are assembled with some Chinese track pins for comparison.  What do you think ...chaps?

IMG_1483

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Talking of tracks, back in mid December I ordered some Tiger tracks from China, I noted at the time they looked ok and came with track pins but I had never heard of San Xin tracks.  Today the postie delivered the tracks, they are very well molded clean with no flash:

IMG_1482

Nice box art,, driving the Japanese into the sea??

I assembled a small length of 6 links, only took a minute with a pair of tweezers.  I compared them to the Fruils that I have just burnished, by opening the track pin holes with a 0.5mm drill the track pins will fit the Fruils.  In comparison the Chinese tracks assemble a lot quicker but are a bit chunkier and look slightly toy like compared to the Fruils.  In the photo below the 3x Fruil links on the right are assembled with some Chinese track pins for comparison.  What do you think ...chaps?

IMG_1483

 


Hi Bob,
I think they look OK.
Well great actually!
Like the pins - never had any luck with the Friul supplied wire and have ended up cutting needles to length...
Very irritating and not a 100% satisfactory result since the tight fit of the pin twists the track slightly.
So guess it comes down to price - remind me, what did yours take with postage?

//Z
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zack said:

So guess it comes down to price - remind me, what did yours take with postage?

Hi Zack, I ordered my tracks through ebay they cost £27.99 with free p&p, they have taken 36 days to get here from China, since that was over Christmas and New Year that's quite good. :like:

I had put 1/35 Tiger Tracks into the search and these came up.  R-model make some early Tiger tracks, with left and right tracks (they call them mirror tracks)   Be careful you get links and pins and not just pins, ask me how I know. :doh:

 

14 minutes ago, Zack said:

Like the pins - never had any luck with the Friul supplied wire and have ended up cutting needles to length...

I have used thicker brass wire before....cutting needles to length....I don't get the point. :whistle:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Zack, I ordered my tracks through ebay they cost £27.99 with free p&p, they have taken 36 days to get here from China, since that was over Christmas and New Year that's quite good. :like:

I had put 1/35 Tiger Tracks into the search and these came up.  R-model make some early Tiger tracks, with left and right tracks (they call them mirror tracks)   Be careful you get links and pins and not just pins, ask me how I know. :doh:

 

I have used thicker brass wire before....cutting needles to length....I don't get the point. :whistle:


Well Bob,
I guess when you emphasis the Sisyphus side of that approach I wonder as well 🤪


But it is about those pin heads actually - never managed to get that right with the supplied wire.
2 links center 3 a clock are wire. I was not happy with those.
2v2HjHM5Mx6eHcV.jpg

But you can imagine how many cut off needle tips I still need to find with my feet ;)

Very Best Regards
Zack

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zack said:

Like the pins - never had any luck with the Friul supplied wire and have ended up cutting needles to length...

I understand now, when you said needles, I thought needles do not have a head, they are for sewing.   You have used dressmaking pins, they have a head, I have used those on my Panther tracks. :winkgrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Okay.... If anyone is thinking of trying the Border Models Tiger I they may want to hang on for a little while.

Thanks for the heads up on this kit Lee, I almost pre-ordered one, glad I didn't. :facepalm:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I understand now, when you said needles, I thought needles do not have a head, they are for sewing.   You have used dressmaking pins, they have a head, I have used those on my Panther tracks. :winkgrin:

Thanks Bob,
Anytime soon I will help you out with your Swedish ;)
Best Regards
Zack

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2020 at 13:54, Longbow said:

Wasn't someone building a 505 Tiger, and wondering about the Zimmerit being removed for the emblem ?

 

spacer.png

I have decided that I still want to make a 505 Tiger, the decals I have do not have the detail like this picture shows so I will have to add it myself.  Back to this photo as I have some decent pictures in one of my books to work from, plus the other markings are on the decal sheet.

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr.312

I have even got a log, but no horses.  On the Dragon kit that I have added the zimmerit, I have added a coat of XF-60 sand and some XF-79 brown, now for the yellow barrel band using XF-3.

IMG_1484

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Glad you posted this mate ...was gonna pre order one ....might hang on a while

 

Edit ...just been on the Faceplant page and David is not happy with it is he........ and rightly so whomever built that must have done it with a spoon and a kitchen knife......and as for all that garbage thrown on the engine deck ......well.......... 

Likewise....

 

You say spoon and knife as if it's a bad thing, use now't but!

Pastry brush is ideal for figure painting btw....

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Talking of tracks, back in mid December I ordered some Tiger tracks from China, I noted at the time they looked ok and came with track pins but I had never heard of San Xin tracks.  Today the postie delivered the tracks, they are very well molded clean with no flash:

 

Nice box art,, driving the Japanese into the sea??

I assembled a small length of 6 links, only took a minute with a pair of tweezers.  I compared them to the Fruils that I have just burnished, by opening the track pin holes with a 0.5mm drill the track pins will fit the Fruils.  In comparison the Chinese tracks assemble a lot quicker but are a bit chunkier and look slightly toy like compared to the Fruils.  In the photo below the 3x Fruil links on the right are assembled with some Chinese track pins for comparison.  What do you think ...chaps?

 

 

Hi Bob, i see what you mean re the San Xin tracks, not quite as "tight" as the Fruils but the pins are nice.

Any issues re extra Vat to pay upon delivery?

 

@Bullbasket John recommend some Entomological pins for tracks, these come in various sizes but never got around to trying them.

 

505 Tiger looks good too!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Any issues re extra Vat to pay upon delivery?

No mate, the declaration on the packaging said the item value was $8.00, now my maths isn't too bad but that's makes for expensive p&p out of £27.99,  not complaining though. :phew:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zack said:

I will put my own summary together later tonight and share them with you for additional comments.

Have you seen this picture of 123,  Zack?   Base colour looks a bit lighter.

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 123

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Have you seen this picture of 123,  Zack?   Base colour looks a bit lighter.

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 123

 

Much better photo, Bob.

I’m going to stand by the dark yellow, with green and brown overspray. 

Looks as though it’s in wide bands of color. 

 

Also say that I now think the barrel is also dark yellow, with some heavy patches of green and brown. 

The bottom half is just in shadow. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Much better photo, Bob.

I’m going to stand by the dark yellow, with green and brown overspray. 

Looks as though it’s in wide bands of color. 

 

Also say that I now think the barrel is also dark yellow, with some heavy patches of green and brown. 

The bottom half is just in shadow. 

Looks like black and white to me 🤔

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Zack was havin a dig through my Tiger file on the pooter and found these ................... notice the shell ricochet of the turret side and the way its bent the smoke discharger bracket and snapped the weld seam

 

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

 

spacer.png

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

 John recommend some Entomological pins for tracks, these come in various sizes but never got around to trying them.

I was having another look online and had second thoughts regarding the entomological pins. Some are OK, but many of them come with a dirty great blob on the end. So it got me thinking and the one that I came up with is dress makers pins. The vast majority come with a domed rivet head. I found a site which gave the names and dimensions of the pins and there are about three different types with a shank diameter of .5mm, which should be ideal for Fruilmodel tracks. They came in 19mm, 27mm and 33mm lengths. If anyone is interested, I can post the sites that I was looking at.

 

John. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

dress makers pins.

I have used dressmakers pins in the past and very effective they are to ....just do not use your best side cutters to clip them to size as there hardened steel and will totally butcher the cutting edges of your nippers...use a set of automotive pliers or a dremel cutting disk to zip through them in seconds

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • M3talpig changed the title to Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 and gaffing around SUPERTHREAD

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...