Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I heard that my youngest son has tested positive for covid, bit of a downer,  He's working from home but his partner, she's a nurse on the front line in a hospital is possibly how he has caught it.

Sorry to hear this, mate. Hope he soon recovers fully.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

You could say which kit it is I'm being blamed for? :shrug:

"Steve's Dad??? :fraidnot:  I needed a laugh today.  I heard that my youngest son has tested positive for covid, bit of a downer,  He's working from home but his partner, she's a nurse on the front line in a hospital is possibly how he has caught it.

Hi Bob I'm very sorry to hear about your son I understand how you're feeling atm as my son who is 27 years old tested positive a couple of months ago. However 10 days later he got the all clear and has been fine ever since I hope this helps in some way 

Regards Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

You could say which kit it is I'm being blamed for? :shrug:

Sorry Bob missed this part first time round but I think you'll be happy with your choice 😊 

spacer.png

And as for the metal barrel and m/g I ordered for it well I'm pretty sure Steve's brother Darryl convinced me to buy it 🙂👍. Or was it Cousin Lee from the States 🤔 

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Sorry Bob missed this part first time round but I think you'll be happy with your choice 😊 

Oh yes, I'm happy to take the blame for that, and the AM barrel, no need to start a family argument on who said what. :giggle:

I'm still adding zimm to the Tiger, at least the Dragon kit comes with separate hull panels so you can work on smaller, flat surfaces.

Well you have mastered the rusty scrapyard effect, are you onto chipping now, cannot go wrong with a chip butty I always say. :winkgrin: 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Oh yes, I'm happy to take the blame for that, and the AM barrel, no need to start a family argument on who said what. :giggle:

I'm still adding zimm to the Tiger, at least the Dragon kit comes with separate hull panels so you can work on smaller, flat surfaces.

Well you have mastered the rusty scrapyard effect, are you onto chipping now, cannot go wrong with a chip butty I always say. :winkgrin: 

I prefer to call it the " Abandoned " effect Bob and as for chips well I think this Tiger has definitely had it's chips judging by the state of it 😉.Anyway I'm about to start adding some more weathering....lord only knows where this is heading 🤔👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Andy J said:

And as for the metal barrel and m/g I ordered for it well I'm pretty sure Steve's brother Darryl convinced me to buy it 🙂👍. Or was it Cousin Lee from the States 🤔 

Now steady, i can take a joke but brother Steve, really......

:talktothehand:

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I prefer to call it the " Abandoned " effect

I have a stack of the Panzerwreck books and discounting the vehicles that have been knackered by direct hits by large calibre weapons, abandoned tanks and other vehicles are shown in good quality large pictures, apart from the rapid removal of anything useful from them the effects of weather and their tough but usually short life is nothing like most of the models finished in the Spanish style.  Then again I spent over 40 years with the RAF and when I look at aircraft models all preshaded and lined with a big helping of chips I think, never seen anything like that on the flight line.  Just sayin, :fraidnot:

• Like 4

Ak Afrika Corp filter applied, not as forgiving as the AK Kursk filter...really need to get it down smooth and thin as it pools and and leaves streaks all to easily.

Just with one coat it has really blended the two colours together reducing the contrast  noticeably. 

spacer.png

And in b&w.. (behind is the untreated hull)

spacer.png

Hull untreated, turret one coat of filter..

spacer.png

Cheers chaps!

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have a stack of the Panzerwreck books and discounting the vehicles that have been knackered by direct hits by large calibre weapons, abandoned tanks and other vehicles are shown in good quality large pictures, apart from the rapid removal of anything useful from them the effects of weather and their tough but usually short life is nothing like most of the models finished in the Spanish style.  Then again I spent over 40 years with the RAF and when I look at aircraft models all preshaded and lined with a big helping of chips I think, never seen anything like that on the flight line.  Just sayin, :fraidnot:

I'm not trying to recreate a specific tank Bob I'm just playing around with the weathering products for fun 🙂👍

• Like 3

So today's update and I've been working on finishing off the weathering of the Tiger. I've added some mud effects to the lower hull and carried out a bit more work on the rest of the tank and although there's probably never been a Tiger in this state I've thourghly enjoyed myself learning on the go 🙂. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So now I need to spend some time cleaning up my work area and back to work tomorrow for me but I'll try to post when I can 🙂👍

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Ak Afrika Corp filter applied, not as forgiving as the AK Kursk filter...really need to get it down smooth and thin as it pools and and leaves streaks all to easily.

Just with one coat it has really blended the two colours together reducing the contrast  noticeably. 

This might be the finest work you've done yet mate ...very very special indeed..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Will do, hopefully his age will help, he had his 26th birthday last week.  The whole vaccination plot is wrong in my opinion, especially with this new strain that is more easily transmitted but affects those younger and stronger.  Sad fact is that giving the vaccine to the older people first is wrong, I'm in that category heading for 70 but I'm safe at home, It's younger people that need the vaccine to get this country back on track, and they will be paying for it for the rest of their lives. :angrysoapbox.sml: 

Kiddo had it back in April last year, he was back on his feet 7 days later (he is 31).
Sending my thoughts your way now.

And Very Best Regards!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

I'm not trying to recreate a specific tank Bob I'm just playing around with the weathering products for fun 🙂👍

And making a very impressive job of it as well, I'm not having a dig at you Andy, back 30+ years ago when I started building armour kits I dived in with rusty tracks, wheels and welds, with the stains running down everywhere.  Since then I have found out that armour treated steel plate, welds and track links have properties that prevent them rusting, they take years of exposure to oxidise.  The mild steel used for storage bins and brackets that's fair game.  Your models and your modelling style, I just wish someone had explained to me back then. :hmmm:

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

And making a very impressive job of it as well, I'm not having a dig at you Andy, back 30+ years ago when I started building armour kits I dived in with rusty tracks, wheels and welds, with the stains running down everywhere.  Since then I have found out that armour treated steel plate, welds and track links have properties that prevent them rusting, they take years of exposure to oxidise.  The mild steel used for storage bins and brackets that's fair game.  Your models and your modelling style, I just wish someone had explained to me back then. :hmmm:

Bob I take notice of all the comments you make and respect them all the same with Steve, Darryl, Lee etc. I can tell that what I'm doing to the Tiger isn't popular with most people due to the comments or lack of, but it's simply a way of me trying to learn what these products are capable of. I won't be over weathering anymore of my builds mate this is just a one off bit of fun but I've really gained a lot of useful knowledge regarding the products I've got and how they work. Tbh I want to build the SU-122 next and that will require some weathering to look correct but nothing on this scale 🙂👍

• Like 6

Update 6

Headlight mounts done ........... from the pics i have either 100's lights were broken off or more likely stowed away

spacer.png spacer.png

New towing mount done as well as the original was a bit lacking                                                                                                           All the weld beads finished on the rear engine plate and torch cut marks done

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I won't be over weathering anymore of my builds mate this is just a one off bit of fun but I've really gained a lot of useful knowledge regarding the products I've got and how they work. Tbh I want to build the SU-122 next and that will require some weathering to look correct but nothing on this scale 🙂👍

I understand, it's just a paint mule to practice on and you have really nailed it.  Looking forward to your Su-122, might even get me interested enough to buy one. :unsure: (must build and finish my T-34s and SU-100 first) :nod:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

New towing mount done as well as the original was a bit lacking     All the weld beads finished on the rear engine plate and torch cut marks done

Superb work Steve. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I understand, it's just a paint mule to practice on and you have really nailed it.  Looking forward to your Su-122, might even get me interested enough to buy one. :unsure: (must build and finish my T-34s and SU-100 first) :nod:

Thanks Bob there's something about the Miniart kit that excites me not sure what it is exactly but I'm itching to build it. It may mean missing the Pzr lll GB though unless I work on both at the same time which I suppose is a possibility. Whatever happens I'll be starting the SU-122 next because every time I walk in the garage it shouts " Oi build me " 🙂👍

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Bob I take notice of all the comments you make and respect them all the same with Steve, Darryl, Lee etc. I can tell that what I'm doing to the Tiger isn't popular with most people due to the comments or lack of, but it's simply a way of me trying to learn what these products are capable of. I won't be over weathering anymore of my builds mate this is just a one off bit of fun but I've really gained a lot of useful knowledge regarding the products I've got and how they work. Tbh I want to build the SU-122 next and that will require some weathering to look correct but nothing on this scale 🙂👍

Well.... I think it looks great Andy. 
It’s a superb lesson as to what can be achieved, weathering wise. 

Please don’t take my lack of comments as a sign of dislike.
I’ve just been really busy work wise, not to mention walking in on an armed robbery this morning, and getting stuck waiting to get out of the crime scene. 

You guys actually probably wouldn’t believe the crap I have to deal with, if I didn’t take photos. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Update 6

Headlight mounts done ........... from the pics i have either 100's lights were broken off or more likely stowed away

New towing mount done as well as the original was a bit lacking                                                                                                           All the weld beads finished on the rear engine plate and torch cut marks done

ThTs looking fantastic Steve....

Great details as usual !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Well.... I think it looks great Andy. 
It’s a superb lesson as to what can be achieved, weathering wise. 

Please don’t take my lack of comments as a sign of dislike.
I’ve just been really busy work wise, not to mention walking in on an armed robbery this morning, and getting stuck waiting to get out of the crime scene. 

You guys actually probably wouldn’t believe the crap I have to deal with, if I didn’t take photos. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lee I have no doubt that you've been busy at work and the pic's above show exactly that. If you're not building a kit mate there has to be a good reason but hopefully things will improve for you soon and you can crack on 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeez fella, try and get a bit of bench time in without being distracted by the shenanigans of you lot and ...

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I hope you arn't including me in the 'isn't popular " column!

For what it's worth ,I really like what you're doing with it. As an exercise in weathering techniques and products its brilliant. The rust and staining is great and I particularly like the effects of heat on the exhaust shrouds.

Another point that's come out rather well is the faded and worn turret numbers.

Of course you can manage two builds at once, no shirking the Pzr III build!

• Like 5