Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

44 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So today's update and the swamp Tiger is moving along nicely. Tomorrow I will add some oil's to the Tiger and hopefully some mud effects to the lower hull but for now i need to leave it alone and let everything dry properly. 

Very cool mate ...just one thing bud ...you forgot part A9 the ventilator cover between the driver and radio operator..looking very abandoned .certainly getting used to the weathering thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So today's update and the swamp Tiger is moving along nicely. Tomorrow I will add some oil's to the Tiger and hopefully some mud effects to the lower hull but for now i need to leave it alone and let everything dry

I'm liking the weathering/chipping Andy,  brush, sponge, fluid?

I do like your "have a go" approach with all these new products!:like:

Good work 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Very cool mate ...just one thing bud ...you forgot part A9 the ventilator cover between the driver and radio operator..looking very abandoned .certainly getting used to the weathering thing.

Yep just checked the instructions mate and you are correct i will add the missing part tomorrow 👍. As for the weathering well I'm just trying to get a feel for the different products so I have an idea what to use in the future 🙂👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'm liking the weathering/chipping Andy,  brush, sponge, fluid?

I do like your "have a go" approach with all these new products!:like:

Good work 

Thanks Darryl tbh I'm not to concerned about how the Tiger looks mate I'm basically weathering the hell out of it for practice. As for the chipping well I've used all the methods you mentioned above but basically it went like this;

First off after primer I sprayed 3 coats of chipping fluid all over the model. I then sprayed the basecoat and even though I left it alone for 3 weeks it worked really well once activated with water and a cut down stiff brush. 

Because there's a lot of chips i used a sponge and some chipping colour from Mig to basically try and fill in some of the black chips though most of them remain the colour of the primer. In future I will use red oxide primer i think as when chipped it will make life easier. 

On some areas I've used a small brush to fill in the chips and this works well but when you have as many chips as the Tiger it just isn't possible to do them all. 

As for my have a go approach mate well I purchased the weathering products to use not as shelf fillers and I'm not worried about ruining a kit because I have plenty more now 😉 👍

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

So what have you used so far mate?

Keith

Hi Keith hope you're well mate 👍. Well rather than write a list I've taken the pic below but obviously I've used some more than others 

spacer.png

I purchased loads of weathering products mate and plan to use them all on the Tiger 🙂. Hope this helps mate 👍 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Andy J said:

I'm doing an Su-122 with whitewash 🙂👍

This seems to have confused a few people so what i meant was my next build is going to be the Miniart SU-122🙂👍

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

This seems to have confused a few people so what i meant was my next build is going to be the Miniart SU-122🙂👍

Think we knew what you ment, just more fun suggesting otherwise....:giggle:

• Haha 2

So another kit turned up today and Mr's J said "So who told you to buy this one ". I replied oh Bob said it was a good kit so I got it " Who's Bob then " she asked oh ....err...Steve's dad i replied 🙄

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So another kit turned up today and Mr's J said "So who told you to buy this one ".

Ha ha - I remember being blamed for making you buy any number of car kits - glad Mrs J's ire is now being directed elsewhere....!! 🤣

K

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ha ha - I remember being blamed for making you buy any number of car kits - glad Mrs J's ire is now being directed elsewhere....!! 🤣

K

Maybe you could offer Steve and Bob some counselling 🤔

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well, don't forget it was in a swamp for 60 years or so :D

I'd posted it for the tonal quality of the green over the sand color. 

Thank you Longbow. 

New reference to me, much appreciated!

Tropen, right, but were do you see any green, khaki or grey? 

What am I missing?

Great sample of the turret/wagon number, will keep that in mind for future reference. 

Sorry if I am bumping in on what should be discused in the "banter" bar.

You guys leave me clueless at times... 

Anyway, safe - > sane - > happy

//Z

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

So another kit turned up today and Mr's J said "So who told you to buy this one ". I replied oh Bob said it was a good kit so I got it " Who's Bob then " she asked oh ....err...Steve's dad i replied 🙄

Nice with a friend like this Bob we don't need any enemies

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Not a chance, let them suffer....!! :rofl2:

Oh the sympathy .......so touching...........:bangin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

This is an early Stug III G preserved by a swamp in Russia. 
It’s in the factory Tropen scheme, as the Tigers of Das Reich and GD would have been painted at Kharkov. 

spacer.png

@Zack you can see graugrun just under the 21 and if you look at the barrel of the gun the graugrun is again visible were the the barrel steps down...there is also what appears to be graugrun strips were the extra armour is bolted on at the bow plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

@Zack you can see graugrun just under the 21 and if you look at the barrel of the gun the graugrun is again visible were the the barrel steps down...there is also what appears to be graugrun strips were the extra armour is bolted on at the bow plate.

Thanks Steve.... I’m driving. 

Zack, this is the color scene which looks monotone in B&W photos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Thx, 

I will open my next bottle of Paddy's before I open this can. 

Sláinte 👍🥃

//Z

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Thanks Steve.... I’m driving. 

Zack, this is the color scene which looks monotone in B&W photos. 

Dont get me wrong Longbow, need this for my 123!

So again, thanks for the reference! 

Without rocks now, much better... 

//Z

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

So another kit turned up today and Mr's J said "So who told you to buy this one ". I replied oh Bob said it was a good kit so I got it 

You could say which kit it is I'm being blamed for? :shrug:

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

" Who's Bob then " she asked oh ....err...Steve's dad i replied 🙄

"Steve's Dad??? :fraidnot:  I needed a laugh today.  I heard that my youngest son has tested positive for covid, bit of a downer,  He's working from home but his partner, she's a nurse on the front line in a hospital is possibly how he has caught it.

• Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I heard that my youngest son has tested positive for covid, bit of a downer,  He's working from home but his partner, she's a nurse on the front line in a hospital is possibly how he has caught it.

Send my brother my best wishes Bob ................. thought the nurses were supposed to be amongst the first to get the shots to stop this sort of thing.......hope he does ok mate...i'm sure he will be fine.....this whole thing is really turning into a mess now isn't it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Send my brother my best wishes Bob ................. thought the nurses were supposed to be amongst the first to get the shots to stop this sort of thing.......hope he does ok mate...i'm sure he will be fine.....this whole thing is really turning into a mess now isn't it.

Will do, hopefully his age will help, he had his 26th birthday last week.  The whole vaccination plot is wrong in my opinion, especially with this new strain that is more easily transmitted but affects those younger and stronger.  Sad fact is that giving the vaccine to the older people first is wrong, I'm in that category heading for 70 but I'm safe at home, It's younger people that need the vaccine to get this country back on track, and they will be paying for it for the rest of their lives. :angrysoapbox.sml: 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

"Steve's Dad??? :fraidnot:  I needed a laugh today.  I heard that my youngest son has tested positive for covid, bit of a downer,  He's working from home but his partner, she's a nurse on the front line in a hospital is possibly how he has caught it.

Best wishes Bob and to your family.  Hopefully he and his partner will shake it off, if it's of any reassurance I've spoken to a few people this last week or two in the 20-40 age group and its proved to have had very little impact on them.

Keeping our fingers crossed for you all Bob, I know it's a worrying time, we had our run in with it last June.

Good news, of sorts, the infection rate is coming down, apparently. Obviously due to the lag admissions and fatalities are still rising but it's looking hopeful for spring. 

So essentially stay positive and keep the rif-raf, your new son included, in check!

Atb

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I hate to hear this Bob.... Make sure he takes plenty of Vitamin C, and sleeps as much as he can !!

Lots and lots of fluids, to keep hydrated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1