Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Andrei, Comrade!....have you been given early release from Gulag..?

Yes indeed Thomas thanks for asking 🙂👍. Don't buy many kits nowadays i tend to be sensible with my purchases as always 😉👍

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

Hey, Buddy !! 🤣

How the devil are ya my tree chopping friend....good to see you up and about 🙂👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

How the devil are ya my tree chopping friend....good to see you up and about 🙂👍

My Mustang is jealous of your Mustang...

She always wanted to be black, but only came out in cherry red :(

• Haha 1

On 23/06/2021 at 16:22, Longbow said:

I've been wondering about @Andy J, lately....

You think his wife banned him, after all the kits he brought ?? :D

I swear, I've been going crazy on the purchase side lately, and I try to be outside when the mail man runs....

I grab the box/s, and dump them in the car truck before the wife sees :D

I, am a bad, bad, man.... But i do work two jobs, but so it shouldn't be a problem, but then I get hit with Catholic guilt, even though I'm defiantly not Catholic.

My wife works from home on Thursdays, so I try to time my purchases to arrive on other days even though she's not really bothered. I think it adds to the fun rather than it being a red flag of some sort. But I am ever so slightly relieved when it gets a bit too late anything to arrive... 😇🌃

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ned said:

My wife works from home on Thursdays, so I try to time my purchases to arrive on other days even though she's not really bothered. I think it adds to the fun rather than it being a red flag of some sort. But I am ever so slightly relieved when it gets a bit too late anything to arrive... 😇🌃

that’s pretty hilarious too :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yeah, and then you blame me - 'Keith made me do it'......!!! :tease:

K

One of those is he..."the big boys made me do it..."🤣

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, echen said:

Just got a new Tiger.

I noticed that one of the suggested schemes was for Tiger 312 from Schwere Panzerabteilung 503. This was the unit in which Richard Freiherr Von Rosen served and I have his book "Panzer Ace".

y4mf-wk5GL6RZFqf06GYCYBQut0h07-Z8wLDklGJI looked up the passages about 503 in Normandy in this and in "Caen, Anvil of Victory".

Elements of 503 were in a readiness area in anticipation of allied activity. They were also in the path of just over 2000 four-engine allied bombers intent on preparing the way for the Allies' "Operation Goodwood" using carpet bombing with 500 and 1000 pound bombs. (Not the allied activity they anticipated.) Von Rosens' 311 was rendered unfit for operation by a near miss. 312 took a direct hit and of Unteroffizier Westerhausen and his entire crew there was no trace.  313 also received a near miss and ended up parked on its roof with 3 crew trapped inside; they were released by Von Rosen and other 503 members after a couple of days as nobody knew they were there. The partially opened turret escape hatch had to be levered open by the rescuers sufficiently wide to release the occupants .

I think I might use the cam scheme but look for some different numbers in the spares box.

Using this scheme, however, raises the Zimmerit question. Mid 1944 Tigers would have had it fitted.........................

Edited by echen
Clarification
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the RFM Tiger I North Africa/Tunisia/1943 Production kit, as it came back into stock here in the US, at my regular on-line store.

I also ordered the New Tamiya Panzer IV Early G (F2).

Thinking of adapting the Panzer crew, or some of them, to the Tiger.

I'd like to do a commander and gunner in goggles and sand shield scarves, to insure that I don't have to paint any faces :D

Pretty sure the crew are wearing a generic type of shirt, so could be used for any Summer type setting. 

The RFM kit is the non-interior one, as I just can't be bothered with interiors, and have the RFM Wittman Tiger I with the full interior, which hasn't even been touched, yet. 

Black 2 has come off the shelf, as I only have to add about 7 bits (Brackets) and it will be ready to paint. 

• Like 2

With thanks to @DByrden , who was able to confirm that it is a 502 vehicle, and the location at Vaivara, about 25 Km from Narva.

So, definitely part of the Narva Bridgehead battles. 

Apparently the church in the photo, and the hill that it is on, are no longer there. 

xDbXqtU.jpg

VzwH5KF.jpg

I was able to find this older colorized photo, from prior to the war, of the town and church.

I would say, from looking at the photos, that the Tiger is situated on the crest, same plane as the church, to the far left of the photo.

That's a pretty commanding view of the valley.

MmrjBVH.jpg

• Like 2

On 06/07/2021 at 13:49, Longbow said:

I just ordered the RFM Tiger I North Africa/Tunisia/1943 Production kit, as it came back into stock here in the US, at my regular on-line store.

I also ordered the New Tamiya Panzer IV Early G (F2).

Thinking of adapting the Panzer crew, or some of them, to the Tiger.

I'd like to do a commander and gunner in goggles and sand shield scarves, to insure that I don't have to paint any faces :D

Pretty sure the crew are wearing a generic type of shirt, so could be used for any Summer type setting. 

The RFM kit is the non-interior one, as I just can't be bothered with interiors, and have the RFM Wittman Tiger I with the full interior, which hasn't even been touched, yet. 

Black 2 has come off the shelf, as I only have to add about 7 bits (Brackets) and it will be ready to paint. 

I do like the cunning plan to avoid painting little faces ! 👍

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Dark yellow is on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thats comin on well Lee..... been very slack lately on my end ...had no creative drive at all..... must find something to inspire me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Thats comin on well Lee..... been very slack lately on my end ...had no creative drive at all..... must find something to inspire me.

I feel the same way Steve. 
Minute details on aircraft seemed to burn me out, and I was using the opti-visor way too much, leading to headaches. 
This one was closest to completion, so I figured I’d give it a go. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I feel the same way Steve. 
Minute details on aircraft seemed to burn me out, and I was using the opti-visor way too much, leading to headaches. 
This one was closest to completion, so I figured I’d give it a go. 

Of to the tank museum in August so hopefully that will light a fire under my bum...... and did get some nice etch bits turn up recently for the Bergepanther and the T29E3 so might have to open those and have a squint ..... not like me to burn out like this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Of to the tank museum in August so hopefully that will light a fire under my bum...... and did get some nice etch bits turn up recently for the Bergepanther and the T29E3 so might have to open those and have a squint ..... not like me to burn out like this.

No update on the late Tiger ?

• Like 1

Just now, Longbow said:

No update on the late Tiger ?

Not at the moment ...still on the desk and I won't start anything else till that is done, then I think I will start the T29 ... still looking at the work your doing might be what I needed to get me going again.

• Like 1