Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

On 07/05/2021 at 19:37, M3talpig said:

Bud your not lowering the tone in any way.......i enjoy your updates as I'm sure the rest do too .....don't put yourself down like that, were all learning in fact i would say a prerequisite to modelmaking is the openness to always be learning.... there is always a new way of doing things and to improve.

Some are very proficient at the art some may even regard themselves as experts ...but if there is one thing I have taken from this hobby its that there is always somebody out there that produces something that stops you in your tracks and makes you think "maybe I could do better"

This. Very, very much this.👍👍👍

• Like 1

You know i remember when modelmaking consisted of a few well chosen materials .....a tube of glue a handful of paint brushes a few small hand tools and your collection of Airfix and Humbrol enamels and if you had told me then that 20 years later I would be painting my kits with water based acrylics I probably would have laughed....when I started plastic kits were fairly crude and photo etch was only just starting to be a thing, the only kits that used photoetch were a company called Gunze Sangyo and they were hella expensive and very hard to find in the UK.

Now our kits are computer designed with intricate moulding techniques like the draw moulding process to get accurate muzzle brakes and seamless barrels... photoetch is in most kits as standard now and the quality and accuracy is the highest it has ever been, and the future is looking very bright indeed, 3D printing will eventually see the factories that used to injection mould filled with styrene printers and the kits we now think are so accurate will look crude again in the light of this next step. and you can see the seed of this already as some of the most recent releases having not just PE but 3D printed parts as well.

As for kits with interior detail .....well lets just say you had to be a pretty dedicated model enthusiast to go to those lengths with a kit...now most kits are optional with interiors as part of the selling point and not just hashed together but accurate to crazy amounts of detail.

Talk about a hobby of evolution ........ I can't wait to see what the future holds, full 3D printed styrene and resin kits with highly accurate PE and and metal CNC machined gun barrels.

In fact I can see a day when you won't buy a kit at all...you will go to a website pay a fee and download the schematic for your home printer and your kit will be produced overnight while you sleep. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

In fact I can see a day when you won't buy a kit at all...you will go to a website pay a fee and download the schematic for your home printer and your kit will be produced overnight while you sleep.

Ready built would be nice. I'd pay extra for that 😄

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Nah..where's the fun in that !... No need to alter, bodge and scratch build bits..and no bad fit and dodgy parts to moan about on here either !  :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I had to look it up to see what Muscadine wine is and found this quote:

“It has that hill-billy-red-neck-cheap-wine-get-drunk persona.”
-Greg Ison, Muscadine Expert, Ison’s Nursery and Vineyards

You ain't going to get much done.🤣

It’s better that Thunderbird 🤣

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Ooof, I remember Thunderbirds. When I say remember I simply mean opening the bottle, the rest is a bit hazy........😲🤣

Did you used to get pi$$ed watching Thunderbirds ?...bit of an early start but hey.. ( he's a geezer isn't he ! )

• Haha 2

Talking of comedy and errors (but I'm not laughing).......................

y4mvjZ7CEJtiQ8AkyhTzNOBRtrpEwCFahIAGtC4s

Attempted to start the cam on the Tiger. It's Humbrol acrylic on Humbrol enamel but it isn't playing ball. The edges of the stripes are misbehaving very badly.

I wonder if I need to do an overall acrylic matt varnish or, perhaps an enamel one?

Any ideas, please, peeps?  :worry:

Edited by echen
typo
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

It's a Comedy of Errors.....

The car is Britmodeller.com and John Cleese is anyone trying to access the site or post anything... 🤣🤣

:whistle:

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, echen said:

Talking of comedy and errors (but I'm not laughing).......................

y4mvjZ7CEJtiQ8AkyhTzNOBRtrpEwCFahIAGtC4s

Attempted to start the cam on the Tiger. It's Humbrol acrylic on Humbrol enamel but it isn't playing ball. The edges of the stripes are misbehaving very badly.

I wonder if I need to do an overall acrylic matt varnish or, perhaps an enamel one?

Any ideas, please, peeps?  :worry:

Like the Piggy says, Dave....

Fade it out with weathering. The German paints came in a paste form, diluted down by the crews. They faded fast and weathered badly, for the most part. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Like the Piggy says, Dave....

Fade it out with weathering. The German paints came in a paste form, diluted down by the crews. They faded fast and weathered badly, for the most part. 

Also it was diluted randomly with petrol, water or whatever was available by all accounts, so they would have got some pretty ropey results in most cases I'd think !  The only point being to hide the tank, I'm sure no one cared much what it looked like !... I've seen ( and driven!) quite a few army Land Rovers that have been "camo" painted in Nato green/black by the lads themselves and the artistic prowess was, regrettably, seldom of a high standard ! :)

• Like 7

Engine deck screens in place. 
These have some form of “cold weather covering”, and I’m not sure what they look like. 
On the GIF, when the tank fires, you can see them lift off the deck. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Engine deck screens in place. 
These have some form of “cold weather covering”, and I’m not sure what they look like. 
On the GIF, when the tank fires, you can see them lift off the deck. 

In Jentz - Doyle's book DW to Tiger 1  it states in June 44 one of the updates to the Tiger chassis were tarp tie down loops on the engine deck.....I am guessing but that does indeed look like a tarp flapping around ... might be a way of protecting the radiators from snow build-up and helping the engine stay warm. 

If yours is before that time period you might be looking at the reason why those tie downs were added...and perhaps the vehicle your doing there was a field mod by the workshop crews to help in the cold weather

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

In Jentz - Doyle's book DW to Tiger 1  it states in June 44 one of the updates to the Tiger chassis were tarp tie down loops on the engine deck.....I am guessing but that does indeed look like a tarp flapping around ... might be a way of protecting the radiators from snow build-up and helping the engine stay warm. 

That would certainly make sense. 
I wonder how they were laid out ?

I would think under the tow cables, but I’m not certain. 

• Like 1

Just now, Longbow said:

That would certainly make sense. 
I wonder how they were laid out ?

I would think under the tow cables, but I’m not certain. 

There were two or three down the right and left side of the superstructure and two welded on the top plate behind the turret but in front of the rectangular intake on the engine hatch....... I have pics ... give me five and I will try and find them

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

There were two or three down the right and left side of the superstructure and two welded on the top plate behind the turret but in front of the rectangular intake on the engine hatch....... I have pics ... give me five and I will try and find them

Any pics of the actual tarp covers ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Any pics of the actual tarp covers ?

Sadly no but here is one line drawing which shows the factory position of the modification (G) on a late steel wheel Tiger but I definitely read that this was a unit specific field mod before it was a factory mod ...the other six were either on the top of the engine deck were I have marked(field modded ) and on the late Tigers same spacing but were welded to the sides (factory modded)..... I am pretty sure you can see the remnants of these tie downs on the Vimoutiers Tiger 

spacer.png

I would think it was a single tarp laid over the engine deck to aid with the recirculation of warm air from the engine

• Thanks 1

Bud I do have better info on this ...my Tiger library is so big on the pooter that I need to have a proper look in the morning and find the pics and references but I will ....it's a mod that i have to do to my build as I'm doing a final production steel wheel so they would have been on this one too

• Like 1

OK bud on further reading it would seem the six tabs for the engine tarp were added from September 1942 (the first use of Tigers in really cold weather)...the two additional tabs at the front of the engine deck from June of 44 .

Again this is pulled from Doyle and Jentz 

spacer.png

• Like 1