Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

I finally opened one of the Takom Tiger boxes, and the sprues are Really nice. 
Only issue I have right now, is that if you build Carius’ 217, you’re going to have to remove a Lot of Zimmerit off the front hull plate and drivers area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 3:51 AM, Longbow said:

Need photos !! 👍

No photos yet but i started on the tracks. Our Aussie friend is in the video is better than me. I followed the instructions but the track guides didn't all glue but even if they did they'd pop when you  tried to cut them off. They scattered like confetti. 

I think adding them 3 or 4 at a time is the best idea. It's also easy to glue the individual tracks links  into the jig just like in the video. Messy!

I use Tamiya extra thin. I can't help thinking, I should have a jig that supports the guide horns correctly so they're actually fixed. 

I'm not complaining. These kits are for modellers. No colour call outs and while all options are available it's up to us to work it  out.

Grown up modelling. If I'm honest I prefer it that  way.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, noelh said:

No photos yet but i started on the tracks. Our Aussie friend is in the video is better than me. I followed the instructions but the.track guides didn't all glue but even if they did they'd pop when you  tried to cut them off. They scattered like confetti. 

I think adding them 3 or 4 at a time is the best idea. It's also easy to glue the individual tracks links  into the jig just like in the video. Messy!

I use Tamiya extra thin. I can't help thinking, I should have a jig that supports the guide horns correctly so they're actually fixed. 

I'm not complaining. These kits are for modellers. No colour call outs and while all options are available it's up to us to work it  out.

Grown up modelling. If I'm honest I prefer it that  way.

The Das Werk and Takom Panther tracks are the same. 
I used a piece brass box section to hold up the teeth. 
Just loaded them with extra thin as the first step, and left them to dry 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, it's been a while I haven't posted progress on my border tiger. This year, I'm working on the 3 tone pattern based on 233 pic, speculation and the instruction:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I intend to get the takom big box for easter to do the falaise 214 from the box.

Edited by aurelien wolff
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone, hope you are all well!

With the upcoming Tiger Group Build I’m hoping to get back into the swing of things and have started to have a good look about for information which will hopefully hold my attention long enough for an actual completion... 

I have a Late Tiger in the stash and have found some great shots of ‘211’ from s.SS-Pz.Abt.102 with a very nice camo pattern and interesting features.

I’ve had a look for ‘Panzers Normandie 44 Serie - schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 102 - TIGER de la 102’ without success which claims to have lots of info and images on ‘102’ in Normandy, though I doubt I could afford it if I found it!

spacer.png

So I wonder if anyone here has any information and/or further images (or better quality) to the photos I’ve found so far?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks in advance!

Si

Edited by SimonT
Formatting
  • Like 5

Choice of camouflage/location can be puzzling. I wonder how many P47/Typhoon/Il-2 pilots looked down from above and wondered who grew a line of large, mobile, rectangular bushes in the middle of a country road.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, echen said:

Choice of camouflage/location can be puzzling. I wonder how many P47/Typhoon/Il-2 pilots looked down from above and wondered who grew a line of large, mobile, rectangular bushes in the middle of a country road.

Presumably these were taken a fair distance from established frontlines (I don’t know how far allied ground-attack aircraft would venture).

In TYPHOON PILOT by Desmond Scott he suggests that the close air support was kept close to the troops and having difficulties in venturing further afield due to anti-air defences and the low-flying they did.

I need to confirm sources, but I have noted that s.SS-Pz.Abt.102 left Tilburg-Breda area in the Netherlands on 11.06.1944 and didn’t arrive in the Normandy (Cauville) area until 04.07.1944. They had to de-train early on northwest of Paris so a lot of distance covered on tracks.

Edited by SimonT
Spelling
  • Like 1

@SimonT Pierre Closterman's "The Big Show", admittedly about Tempest activities, described attacking road and rail traffic and the toll taken by light flak. AFAIR They ranged far and wide looking for targets through Europe.

However, specifically in Normandy, maybe it was the USAAF P47s that carried out interdiction strikes further afield and deeper into France?

• Like 2