Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

31 minutes ago, johnccc said:

Wow, some really awesome stuff in this thread (took me about a week to do all 125 pages as was).  Gave this tank stuff up 25 to 30 years ago.  Then along come two young sons who get into modelling but want absolutely no advice from dad.  I did convince the better half to get them (me) an airbrushing rig because they would use it but in the back of my mind it was always something I'd dreamt of back in the day and they were my excuse.  Long story short I got a PzIV from my eldest for xmas and really surprised myself! (Don't mention the red fire extinguisher on the outside!  I did once, but I think I got away with it)

Always been a huge Tiger fan and now I'm here for a bit of advice.  Will return the favour by posting updates and piccies etc.  but I am looking for advice on which kit to get.  I want something that is reasonably accurate but not stupidly so.  I'd like to do a crew maintaining the engine so opening hatches and engine details obvs (want some internals but not the full monty - eek can I say that about a german tank).  I've never done the photo etched stuff so a little of that would be interesting but at this point I don't think I'd be up to brazing / soldering etc.  Crew I'll get elsewhere (assuming the tank is good enough).

I realise this may be opening up a can of worms and you kind folk will have lots of different opinions but here we go...  Let me know.

Oh, one last thing, it will probably be xmas before I buy anything and what with work and everything, this could take months!

Cheers - John

Hi John and welcome to the mad house. :frantic:  

That's quite the undertaking going through this little lot!

For me I'd probably suggest Tamiya,  perhaps not as detailed as Dragon but goes together in typical Tamiya fashion (No engine detail mind).

I rather like the RFM kits, bit more expensive but probably a step up in detail and goes together really well (Tracks are ind' links btw).

They do both a standard kit, again no internal detail and a full interior kit. 

Photo etch can be done with CA instead of solder, btw.

Don't worry about time, I've been at my RFM tiger since the start of this thread!

Feel free to shout if you want any further help or info.

Good luck and have fun! :like:

Darryl 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, johnccc said:

Wow, some really awesome stuff in this thread (took me about a week to do all 125 pages as was).  Gave this tank stuff up 25 to 30 years ago.  Then along come two young sons who get into modelling but want absolutely no advice from dad.  I did convince the better half to get them (me) an airbrushing rig because they would use it but in the back of my mind it was always something I'd dreamt of back in the day and they were my excuse.  Long story short I got a PzIV from my eldest for xmas and really surprised myself! (Don't mention the red fire extinguisher on the outside!  I did once, but I think I got away with it)

Always been a huge Tiger fan and now I'm here for a bit of advice.  Will return the favour by posting updates and piccies etc.  but I am looking for advice on which kit to get.  I want something that is reasonably accurate but not stupidly so.  I'd like to do a crew maintaining the engine so opening hatches and engine details obvs (want some internals but not the full monty - eek can I say that about a german tank).  I've never done the photo etched stuff so a little of that would be interesting but at this point I don't think I'd be up to brazing / soldering etc.  Crew I'll get elsewhere (assuming the tank is good enough).

I realise this may be opening up a can of worms and you kind folk will have lots of different opinions but here we go...  Let me know.

Oh, one last thing, it will probably be xmas before I buy anything and what with work and everything, this could take months!

Cheers - John

Hey John welcome aboard ...as Darryl said well done on wading through this bloated thread...glad you found it and hope to see some of your work in here soon.

As for kits i wouldn't recommend the Tamiya ones at this point there fairly long in the tooth and as you can see from my builds require a fair amount of work if you want accuracy.....Dragon and Ryefield seem to be the way to go for a reasonable standard and Border model have just done their first Tiger which is supposed to be very nice, a heads up though the Dragon Tigers are hard to find at reasonable prices unless there re-releases then there only available for a very limited time......glad to see another Tiger fan on deck now stop messin about and start a build :D

• Like 1

And the :worms: has been opened,  ask a dozen modellers which kit they would recommend and you get a dozen different answers!! :wall: :giggle:

Haven't seen the Border Models kit yet so can't comment but I'd assume it's pretty good. Dragon tends to be expensive, as has been said, and can be quite involved. Trumpeter does one which is good value too btw.

(The thing with Tamiya, yes it's getting on a bit but its readily available and the assembly is pretty straight forward). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, johnccc said:

Cheers - John

I would go for Ryefield. 
But that’s without starting one yet 🤣

Speaking of starting things… 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

And the :worms: has been opened,  ask a dozen modellers which kit they would recommend and you get a dozen different answers!! :wall: :giggle:

Haven't seen the Border Models kit yet so can't comment but I'd assume it's pretty good. Dragon tends to be expensive, as has been said, and can be quite involved. Trumpeter does one which is good value too btw.

(The thing with Tamiya, yes it's getting on a bit but its readily available and the assembly is pretty straight forward). 

I did enjoy the Trumpeter kits. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

I would go for Ryefield. 
But that’s without starting one yet 🤣

Speaking of starting things… 

Yea, typical trouble maker, suppose you can do that from the cover of an empty bench! :bleh:

I'm turning into a fan of things Ryefield Model, haven't tried the initial releases by them of the mid to late Tigers but I might have two more initial production 1943 ones...:whistle:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The next question is, what's the best dunkelgelb to use?😀

spacer.png

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Don't you start!

It's bad enough with our colonial friend stirring it from across the pond!!

For paint it's obviously brush painted Tamiya...:giggle:

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Don't you start or we will have a full blown war goin on ...............................bloomin trouble maker :D

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Don't you start!

It's bad enough with our colonial friend stirring it from across the pond!!

For paint it's obviously brush painted Tamiya...:giggle:

SNAP

• Haha 3

Who started all this silliness anyway?

We had a very sensible question from a potential new member of the group @johnccc, which is great! Yet somehow it's wandered off with a life of it's own and turned into absolutely shambles!

Not sure if anyone has been observing the shinnaigins of the GB and STGB but @M3talpig Tiger super thread has been mentioned a few times... I'd like to think held up as a shining example of what can be achieved by a collective of like minded loons, sorry, modellers!

Alternatively it could used to illustrate what happens when armour isn't given sufficient GB slots...:winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, johnccc said:

I am looking for advice on which kit to get. 

Or if you're looking for something to get back into perhaps a one-seventy-tooth Revell Tiger?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Who started all this silliness anyway?

We had a very sensible question from a potential new member of the group @johnccc, which is great! Yet somehow it's wandered off with a life of it's own and turned into absolutely shambles!

Not sure if anyone has been observing the shinnaigins of the GB and STGB but @M3talpig Tiger super thread has been mentioned a few times... I'd like to think held up as a shining example of what can be achieved by a collective of like minded loons, sorry, modellers!

Alternatively it could used to illustrate what happens when armour isn't given sufficient GB slots...:winkgrin:

Sooo.... This thread has achieved Forum Wide Notoriety, then !! It can't be the lack of modeling, by any chance, can it ? :D

And on another point, did our esteemed new member, @johnccc actually read the first 5 pages of said thread ????

Speaking of empty benches, I never said my bench was empty...

It's just lacking a little advancement .... ;)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Not sure if anyone has been observing the shinnaigins of the GB and STGB but @M3talpig Tiger super thread has been mentioned a few times..

I'm famous ...at last:coolio:

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

This thread has achieved Forum Wide Notoriety, then !! It can't be the lack of modeling, by any chance, can it ? :D

That's probably closer to the truth to be fair lol....................... 128 pages and only 3 of em actually have models featured..... :D :mental:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, johnccc said:

Cheers - John

Hi John, 

Wellcome to the forum and the this amazing Tiger thread 👍🎉👍

Your planned dio is sort of locking you in when it comes to available choices. 

In 1/35 it is the ancient Academy offering, the kit originates back to the late 90ies.

And then the recent Rye Field Model already mentioned from 2016. 

Both have been upgrade and reboxed but the difference in age, technology and available research is huge. 

So is the difference on the pricetag. The Academy is right now 1/3 of the RFM at an online reseller site. 

So my suggestion would be:

To think about the version / timeframe, do you have a particular picture in mind? 

Important consideration: Zimmerit - yes or no?

If your choise is yes: Do you want to sculpt it yourself - yes or no?

What is the total budget? The kit, the aftermarket stuff (PE, tracks, gun, engine, zimmerit, figurines). 

I would suggest having a look @ scalemates.com.

There you can see all main offerings and the AM stuff with relevant pricing information and online vendors. 

Personally I am fiddeling around with a Dragon Early that is reciving interior parts + engine from an Academy donor kit (mentioned above), a Zvezda Early because it is cheap and buildable and the AFV late since it came @ a bargain price with Atak zimmerit and Friulmodel tracks.

It is very easy to catch this bug 🙃🙃, my final suggestion would be Dragon #6600 Early (no zimmerit) or #6700 mid (with Zimmerit already done) . I have both. 

HTH - let us know what you decide on and come join the party 🍻🥃🍸

And stay safe & sain, happy modelling! 

Zack

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Longbow said:

Sooo.... This thread has achieved Forum Wide Notoriety, then !! It can't be the lack of modeling, by any chance, can it ? :D

And on another point, did our esteemed new member, @johnccc actually read the first 5 pages of said thread ????

Speaking of empty benches, I never said my bench was empty...

It's just lacking a little advancement .... ;)

Lack of modelling.....who needs models when we have good quality banter been lobbed around with such abandon!

Just wish Steve ( @M3talpig) would get his finger out and actually model rather than muck around in photoshop and then pass off doctored photos of the real thing as "his" model....such bad form old chap! 

Anyway my bench is anything but empty....the critical mess is to such an extent I'm reduced to working in a box lid sat on my lap!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Lack of modelling.....who needs models when we have good quality banter been lobbed around with such abandon!

Just wish Steve ( @M3talpig) would get his finger out and actually model rather than muck around in photoshop and then pass off doctored photos of the real thing as "his" model....such bad form old chap! 

Anyway my bench is anything but empty....the critical mess is to such an extent I'm reduced to working in a box lid sat on my lap!

You know Darryl.... Steve had the audacity to open this thread, and probably has less posts that anyone else participating :D

He was probably a construction Foreman, or a Council Planner..... ;)

• Haha 4

Well that went well.

Ne'er fear despite coming to no actual conclusion as yet (other than the bit at the end of this) I have been encouraged by you lot and have been watching a number of Tiger I builds and reviews on't Tube.  Also been looking at the prices of some of the models - to which the battle cry of Yorkshire "OW MUCH" springs rapidly to mind. 

The one thing that has however struck me is that you lot, despite the actual lack of modelling on soooo many pages, seem like a really decent bunch.  You can blush now if you want.  So let's keep going.

So here we are.  I think I was looking for answers before I understood the questions.  I agree (Zack) I am limiting myself by wanting a part interior and I am SO not up for a full interior build.  Also, my perfect Tiger probably doesn't exist because I want western front, D-Day without Zim.  From a personal point of view I don't like the aesthetics of Zim and this is on Tigers, never mind the slap dash rubbish they put on Panthers.  It may sound daft but if my heart is not in it, I'll not do a decent job.

Reckon I'll go Tunisia or possibly Italy, the camo schemes must be more interesting for the latter and I don't really have an Eastern Front interest.  Don't need an interior, probably don't want a dio at all having really thought about it.  Not bothered about rivet counting but obviously "that's the wrong turret" would be embarrassing.  Still like the idea of "proper" tracks and a bit of PE.  Understand I could go Tamiya and buy all the other bits separately but lets see how we go. 

I think this means an "Early"

Please keep the suggestions coming and what I will do is keep you up to date with my decision making process, same kind of insight as build decisions in a way and obviously more opportunity for you to agree/disagree/comment upon/digress/go off at tangents/ramble on/start talking about the weather etc.  This may also cover off a couple of visits to model shops to see what they have in stock.  At the moment I'd be happy to pay a premium if they have the model in stock, COVID would have hit a lot of shops hard I guess.  One last thing 1/72 is not appealing.  My arms are not long enough to get it into focus to paint!  

Chin chin (that's Cheers to the folks on the wrong side of the pond 😀) and thanks for all the replies so far.

John

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, johnccc said:

One last thing 1/72 is not appealing.  My arms are not long enough to get it into focus to paint!  

I'd lend you my binoculars.......................

You have to look through the wrong end tho' 😉

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, johnccc said:

Well that went well.

Ne'er fear despite coming to no actual conclusion as yet (other than the bit at the end of this) I have been encouraged by you lot and have been watching a number of Tiger I builds and reviews on't Tube.  Also been looking at the prices of some of the models - to which the battle cry of Yorkshire "OW MUCH" springs rapidly to mind. 

The one thing that has however struck me is that you lot, despite the actual lack of modelling on soooo many pages, seem like a really decent bunch.  You can blush now if you want.  So let's keep going.

So here we are.  I think I was looking for answers before I understood the questions.  I agree (Zack) I am limiting myself by wanting a part interior and I am SO not up for a full interior build.  Also, my perfect Tiger probably doesn't exist because I want western front, D-Day without Zim.  From a personal point of view I don't like the aesthetics of Zim and this is on Tigers, never mind the slap dash rubbish they put on Panthers.  It may sound daft but if my heart is not in it, I'll not do a decent job.

Reckon I'll go Tunisia or possibly Italy, the camo schemes must be more interesting for the latter and I don't really have an Eastern Front interest.  Don't need an interior, probably don't want a dio at all having really thought about it.  Not bothered about rivet counting but obviously "that's the wrong turret" would be embarrassing.  Still like the idea of "proper" tracks and a bit of PE.  Understand I could go Tamiya and buy all the other bits separately but lets see how we go. 

I think this means an "Early"

Please keep the suggestions coming and what I will do is keep you up to date with my decision making process, same kind of insight as build decisions in a way and obviously more opportunity for you to agree/disagree/comment upon/digress/go off at tangents/ramble on/start talking about the weather etc.  This may also cover off a couple of visits to model shops to see what they have in stock.  At the moment I'd be happy to pay a premium if they have the model in stock, COVID would have hit a lot of shops hard I guess.  One last thing 1/72 is not appealing.  My arms are not long enough to get it into focus to paint!  

Chin chin (that's Cheers to the folks on the wrong side of the pond 😀) and thanks for all the replies so far.

John

Well, that does narrow things down a little.

Tamiya produce an Early, without Zimmerit or interior, and.... Others may correct me, but I think Tamiya did produce an engine set in a separate pack.

Our good fellow Steve used the Tamiya Early version for his 502 build, so if you added a little etched detail you could go a long way with that one. 

Of course, watching Steve build is like watching the road work crews for a day. Lots of standing around, accomplishing nothing. 

10 men, one hole, if you get my drift :D

Other than that, go cheap, and get the Academy or Airfix (?) early tiger, and just scrap the interior, except for the engine. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Of course, watching Steve build is like watching the road work crews for a day. Lots of standing around, accomplishing nothing. 

What?

Do you want an apocalypse? Can you imagine what would happen if all the road crews began to work? Do you like a world in which there is nothing but roads?

Do you think God didn't know what he was doing when he created the road crews?

Sorry, but I just can't believe - you are serious?

:rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

You know Darryl.... Steve had the audacity to open this thread, and probably has less posts that anyone else participating :D

He was probably a construction Foreman, or a Council Planner..... ;)

43 minutes ago, Longbow said:

The sheer lack of respect here is stunning......... :D just because i don't throw my kits together like my friend across the pond or leave half finished projects in a pile on my shelf of doom (which i don't have) .... honestly with friends like these who needs zee Chermans :rofl:

Spose i had better get this one done then to quite the masses rising up against me before there is a revolt   ........ :fight:

Just a reminder of the finished build from earlier in the thread  :P

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1