Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Well.....think, for now, the Tiger basic build is pretty much done apart from a final weathering, pigments and a little something in the tracks.

Tow cables painted, weathered, and fixed in situ. For some reason the copper wire I've used decided to start unravelling...the more I fiddled and adjusted the worse it became. 

The remainder of the loose bits and pieces fixed in situ and painted, 

Oil stains added to the engine deck and a few streaks from leaking roadwheel hubs.

So voila!

Well, well, well.... That's looking pretty tasty !!

Very nice work so far, Darry, now, crack on lad, and get the figures done ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M3talpig said:

That looks pretty fantastic hier Darryl...... colours look just so and the weathering is spot on ....dogs danglies spring to mind....in a good way ...was there supposed to be a rack of jerrycans on the roof of this one or is that someone elses build i'm thinkin of......and figures too ...i assume a base might be in the offing if figures are being mulled over .......... top notch mate like it a lot :goodjob:

Cheers bud, quite happy with the colours, not as strong as 131 but that's been painted relatively recently and not baked under the North African sun. Still it has more contrast than the period b&w pics..

According to the pics of Janny it has 6 jerry cans on the turret roof and an assortment of boxes/crates. No idea if they had a frame to hold the cans in situ or they just strapped them down, I'll figure/make something up!

I've the two Alpine chaps which also provides me with two spare noggins, suppose I could find another plastic figure to use as a loader or driver. 🤔

Not sure about a base, so many kits....so little time!

Thanks again, very kind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well, well, well.... That's looking pretty tasty !!

Very nice work so far, Darry, now, crack on lad, and get the figures done ;)

Cheers Lee, if only I knew someone with a knack for figures.....

Hang we do, unfortunately I think he's given up we seen so little from him... :whistle:

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great looking Tiger Darryl everything in place and a place for everything!

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind of you. 

Nice to see you looking in on the lunacy that is the Tiger thread!

6 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Brilliant work Darryl. A very impressive beast of a tank. 👏

Thanks Stef, really kind of you, think everyone needs to do a Tiger at some point!

Thanks again chaps, really appreciated. 

Darryl 

• Like 4

Just 3-4 more things to take care of on this build and it's time for paint :clap:

Turret is almost complete now....

spacer.png

Spare track holders needed some extra love and the lower brackets were absent altogether

spacer.png

Retexture of the turret roof and rough cast texture on cupola done plus the weld seams around the cupola and air extractor all done

spacer.png

spacer.png

Escape hatch on late Tigers was subtly different having no bevel on the edges so that has been taken care of with small strips of Evergreen, rework of track hangers on this side as 213 didn't have the tracks mounted on this side 

spacer.png

Spare track and track pin on hull front... can't see from the pics how this was held in place...i know that hooks were used here on some late Tigers for this purpose but the pics i have of 213 are clear enough that these hooks are clearly not present...could be just propped against the hull front 

spacer.png

Other side for no particular reason

spacer.png 

hopefully this weekend will see some undercoat applied and then the real fun can start :D

• Like 12

Great work. The detail in the texturing and Zimmerit looks really good; as does the PE and the welds and, and, and.... all of it really. Shaping up well to be a well-worn Tiger. Looking forward to see the rest of the process. 👍

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, echen said:

Looking forward to see the rest of the process. 

I will try and update with step by step painting and weathering but honestly i tend to get carried away with that part and forget to photo as i'm going :wall:

Thanks for the kind words though bud ......getting very excited at the prospect of the next stage. :clap:

• Like 1

Paint, and not before flippin time too....:sleep_1:

Just in time for the apocryphal new year.....:poke:

Really looking forward to seeing it come to life with a quick slap of paint.  Did you post some pics of 213 earlier? No idea of theatre or period so it'll be an interesting reveal when done!

Not envious in the least old fella, your craftmanship is exemplary.  

(Won't mention the finger print in the zimm....:winkgrin:)

Take care bud.

• Haha 2

Stunning Mr Pigg... you have to remind yourself how tiny some of these components are when viewing the pics on screen 👍

You'd think the track bits on the front would've been held on in some way though, surely if not they'd fall off when the tank was caning about over rough ground ?  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Did you post some pics of 213 earlier? No idea of theatre or period so it'll be an interesting reveal when done!

This is 213 of the 503rd on it's retreat through the French village of Bourgtheroulde in August of 44...it's a fairly famous photo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Won't mention the finger print in the zimm....:winkgrin:)

what....what...fingerprint ....what fingerprint .....is there a fingerprint ....where is the fingerprint........WHAT FINGERPRINT ....OH GOD :wall:  :rofl:

4 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Stunning Mr Pigg... you have to remind yourself how tiny some of these components are when viewing the pics on screen 👍

You'd think the track bits on the front would've been held on in some way though, surely if not they'd fall off when the tank was caning about over rough ground ?  

Have to say i have been questioning for the next build if going as far as i have with the working parts is really worth the agro for a static model...... the answer was a resounding NO IT AINT ...... as for the spare on the front glacis i agree just can't see how it was done ...might assume it had the spare track hooks and that the side without said hooks is because they were ripped of at some point along with the track. there heavy parts but gravity alone still wouldn't be enough to hold them in place 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Top link stitched on with a little weld? The lower links would still be removable for running on if necessary.

Yeah thats possible .......gonna run the pic on photoshop later and put some filters on it see what i can see...could also be held in place with wire i suppose

• Like 1

17 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah thats possible .......gonna run the pic on photoshop later and put some filters on it see what i can see...could also be held in place with wire i suppose

On the top link, on the left hand "slot" in the track section, do I see a "protruberance" sticking thru it, which could be a hook or tab of some kind welded to the tank for the track bits to hang on ?

There would likely be another for the corresponding slot on the right but this is in shadow.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics!

Loads of figures for you to do too! :bleh:

As @Pig of the Week mentions...

My guess is a pair of hooks, not sure but that might be one between links one and two outermost on the second pic, could be part of the track but.... :shrug:

They ain't going to stay put without something.

You mean that ain't a print on the turret close up between the escape hatch and the track hangers?? :winkgrin:

• Like 1

You mean that ain't a print on the turret close up between the escape hatch and the track hangers?? 

Trick of the light........................................ :lalala: yeah that sounds right...... visual illusion........bugger off:P

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

On the top link, on the left hand "slot" in the track section, do I see a "protruberance" sticking thru it, which could be a hook or tab of some kind welded to the tank for the track bits to hang on ?

yes Mr pig you might be right ....... the closer i zoom in the more grainy it becomes  very hard to tell ...one thing i'm certain of is that i doubt highly it would just be propped up there ....it would more than likely fall of given how close it is to the edge and how close it is to the lead run of the track

Well don't think paint is going to happen just yet.....list of bits still to do-

periscopes for cupola

blank off the loader and commanders hatches

muzzle brake bolt detail

detail cupola lid

bosch headlight

some kind of mounting for the spare track on the glacis

On the upside the driver, radio and loaders hatches are done

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Trick of the light........................................ :lalala: yeah that sounds right...... visual illusion........bugger off:P

You old silver tongued cavalier.

Bet you have a real way with the ladies too!

For what it's worth I'd probably take a punt on the track hanger being there, I'd guess it's the most obvious solution.

Your hatch detail is tremendous fella!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

It's the little things eh............:P 

I'll bet it's not the first time he's been told that...:whistle:

Shouldn't those be screws as opposed to domed rivets holding the headlamp together? :bleh:

51 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Blimey!!!!😲👏

Come on Stef don't encourage him! 

It's alright I suppose.....:giggle:

• Haha 3

On 11/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, M3talpig said:

what....what...fingerprint ....what fingerprint .....is there a fingerprint ....where is the fingerprint........WHAT FINGERPRINT ....OH GOD :wall:  :rofl:

Uh Oh !! I sense another Ursula Moment on coming !!

We should probably back away, very, very, slowly......

Kidding aside..... Superb work, Steve !!

Looking forward to the completion of this one ;)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I'll bet it's not the first time he's been told that...:whistle:

Cheeky

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Shouldn't those be screws as opposed to domed rivets holding the headlamp together? :bleh:

Your right ...i shall hang my head in shame :P

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Uh Oh !! I sense another Ursula Moment on coming !!

Less said bout that the better ..............move on ......nothing to see here :D

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Blimey!!!!😲👏

I know ..i know............. :clap:

• Haha 2

Wow, some really awesome stuff in this thread (took me about a week to do all 125 pages as was).  Gave this tank stuff up 25 to 30 years ago.  Then along come two young sons who get into modelling but want absolutely no advice from dad.  I did convince the better half to get them (me) an airbrushing rig because they would use it but in the back of my mind it was always something I'd dreamt of back in the day and they were my excuse.  Long story short I got a PzIV from my eldest for xmas and really surprised myself! (Don't mention the red fire extinguisher on the outside!  I did once, but I think I got away with it)

Always been a huge Tiger fan and now I'm here for a bit of advice.  Will return the favour by posting updates and piccies etc.  but I am looking for advice on which kit to get.  I want something that is reasonably accurate but not stupidly so.  I'd like to do a crew maintaining the engine so opening hatches and engine details obvs (want some internals but not the full monty - eek can I say that about a german tank).  I've never done the photo etched stuff so a little of that would be interesting but at this point I don't think I'd be up to brazing / soldering etc.  Crew I'll get elsewhere (assuming the tank is good enough).

I realise this may be opening up a can of worms and you kind folk will have lots of different opinions but here we go...  Let me know.

Oh, one last thing, it will probably be xmas before I buy anything and what with work and everything, this could take months!

Cheers - John

• Like 2