Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

33 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

What this geezer said .... take the inside diameter of the barrel then transfer it to a sheet of paper then you lay strips of thin lead foil or similar diagonally to get the correct angles spacing and number of grooves then you can glue the strips to the paper and roll before inserting to the barrel.

Who said I was just a pretty face !! :D

• Haha 2

Cheers lads, you got me thinking. I will try your great idea with the remains of the etched piece, breaking it into individual segments, softening the metal a bit and see if that works. All I have to do is find where I threw the remains.🤬😀

• Haha 3

Well this was a mission to do......Made from 30 seperate parts ..not including the rivets, it started fine got the main body all soldered up only to realise that i had literally put it together inside out....obviously at the point of that realization it was too late too do anything about it.... luckily it didn't change the dimensions but did mean that all the riveting had to be done by hand. Think it turned out ok given the fact i nearly tore all my hair out when i realized what i had done.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Think it turned out ok given the fact i nearly tore all my hair out when i realized what i had done.

Frustrating when things happen like that!

IMHO "turned out ok" is a major understatement - it looks fantastic. Enlarge it and park it in a Tiger factory and someone will come along and nail it to the back of the turret on a real Tiger.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, echen said:

alking of turret bins...................

Have a look at this from about 4 mins in.

I rest my case about Tiger factories.

Watched the whole series ...was very good ....this is the Tiger that is going to be the next fully running i reckon.....not sure how far along the wheatcroft build is think there still sourcing parts for it.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 16:00, M3talpig said:

Well this was a mission to do......Made from 30 seperate parts ..not including the rivets, it started fine got the main body all soldered up only to realise that i had literally put it together inside out....obviously at the point of that realization it was too late too do anything about it.... luckily it didn't change the dimensions but did mean that all the riveting had to be done by hand. Think it turned out ok given the fact i nearly tore all my hair out when i realized what i had done.

Well perhaps if you hadn't taken your frustration out on it you wouldn't have dented it and damaged one of the lids!!

Now show a little restraint next time!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Well perhaps if you hadn't taken your frustration out on it you wouldn't have dented it and damaged one of the lids!!

Now show a little restraint next time!

I know right...temper temper and all that.....strangely looks rather good though eh.....might have to spit my dummy out more often :D

So been a busy boy......

Tracks finished as is almost all the drivetrain

spacer.png

Zimmerit on the bulk of the turret done ...mantlet still to do.

spacer.png

While the turret is setting i thought i would prepare the hatches for there extra detailing also pinned the exhaust guards to make installation easier later.

spacer.png

• Like 13

I'm in awe fella, I'm bumbling around getting annoyed by my copper tow cables untwisting themselves and I look at this stuff....

Really like those fancy white idler wheels! :whistle:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Really like those fancy white idler wheels! :whistle:

yeah can't remember where i got those ...nice ain't they:P

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Y’all know how fussy he can get !!

Meeeeee fussy ...don't know what you mean :rofl:

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking great for at OTB kit !!

Glad you like ............ OTB all day long me, you know that :P

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Quick Darryl…. 
Tape Steve’s bin lid down, before he bins it !!

Y’all know how fussy he can get !! ;)

Think that's called doing an Ursula! :whistle:

(So sorry Steve, me bad, sometimes I just can't help myself!)

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Steve !! Looking great for at OTB kit !! :D

Think I've tracked down the kit he's building, looks very similar!

spacer.png

:winkgrin:

• Haha 2

Think that's called doing an Ursula! :whistle:

Oh now thats not just below the belt ...that was a full on punch to the plums :crying:............................................................................................... :D

44 minutes ago, Carius said:

wow excellent job so far, The storage bin is fantastic.

Why thank you Carius 

Think I've tracked down the kit he's building, looks very similar!

spacer.png

Yep that looks like the one ................ 

• Haha 2

Just a little itsy bitsy update.

Added the missing recessed bolt detail around the close support mortar on the turret roof and the same for the gun shield mounts....

spacer.png

Zimmerit on the mantlet is done.... the lifting mushrooms made from copper wire and solder and fitted

spacer.png

Turret bin was a bit flimsy because it only has the two small tabs to mount, decided to give it half a chance and pinned the back just to give a little added security and one more place to glue when the time comes

spacer.png

And mounted ..... working on the hatches and some other small details ......it's starting to look like a tiger now :coolio:

spacer.png

• Like 12

14 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Oh now thats not just below the belt ...that was a full on punch to the plums :crying:............................................................................................... :D

Sorry mate, I did debate but....still sensitive I'm sure...:violin:

59 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Just a little itsy bitsy update.

Added the missing recessed bolt detail around the close support mortar on the turret roof and the same for the gun shield mounts....

Zimmerit on the mantlet is done.... the lifting mushrooms made from copper wire and solder and fitted

Turret bin was a bit flimsy because it only has the two small tabs to mount, decided to give it half a chance and pinned the back just to give a little added security and one more place to glue when the time come.

And mounted ..... working on the hatches and some other small details ......it's starting to look like a tiger now :coolio:

YGBSM!

Nice work, perhaps try something a little tricky next time?

• Haha 3

Well.....think, for now, the Tiger basic build is pretty much done apart from a final weathering, pigments and a little something in the tracks.

Tow cables painted, weathered, and fixed in situ. For some reason the copper wire I've used decided to start unravelling...the more I fiddled and adjusted the worse it became. 

The remainder of the loose bits and pieces fixed in situ and painted, 

Oil stains added to the engine deck and a few streaks from leaking roadwheel hubs.

So voila!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So what's next......

(Just remembered I haven't mounted the panzer III links, photos don't show them fitted but I guess they would have been at some point).

spacer.png

Couple of figures to paint, might do more depending how these work out. 🤞

Commanders hatch will be fitted once figure is ready. Jerry cans and stowage still to be prepared, painted and fitted.

The photos do show lots of folk and stowage so possibilities, I just dislike painting figures!

Undecided upon having a go at making a muzzle brake cover, most pics of Janny have it..

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

So voila!

That looks pretty fantastic hier Darryl...... colours look just so and the weathering is spot on ....dogs danglies spring to mind....in a good way ...was there supposed to be a rack of jerrycans on the roof of this one or is that someone elses build i'm thinkin of......and figures too ...i assume a base might be in the offing if figures are being mulled over .......... top notch mate like it a lot :goodjob:

• Thanks 1