Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

You must congratulate Beelzebub once again for us, outstanding work!

Your patience and of course skill is remarkable but sickening at the same time..:winkgrin:

However you really must stop chewing those nails, filthy habit... :undecided:

(Your demonic trident will come in handy for toasting those loaves of bread @Pig of the Week spotted!)

Laters!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

but on pic no 2 ..why's there three loaves of sliced bread beside the mg gunner's hatch?...

You know zat zee Chermans have a large appetite..... there is a whole shelf of Cherman sausage next to the drivers position ....silly inglisher :mental:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

However you really must stop chewing those nails, filthy habit... :undecided:

VE HAVE VAYS OF MAKING YOU PORK........... I like eating my fingers especially when doing all this fiddly work with brass...... and while i'm here aren't we supposed to have another update on your Kitty ...pull your finger out young Darryl :D

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I like eating my fingers especially when doing all this fiddly work with brass...... 

Silly me used to imagine this modelling "lark" was supposed to be fun and de-stressing. :wall:

You are very true, been an odd week, no time for diddley squat.

The Tiger is at the stage of needing to break out the AB and that I can't do in the odd 15min of spare time. 

Had planned on it for this morning but where does the time go...

Must try harder....:crying:

• Like 2

Right, just to keep Buggerlugs ( @M3talpig) happy I've cast all domestic responsibility asunder a spent a few pleasant hours on Janny.  (And then the model :winkgrin:).

First up exhaust, I'd originally thought of replicating something more akin to the Bovington Tiger or some of the more interesting examples that can be found; lots of heat damaged paintwork,  rust effects, soot, etc, etc, but..... After referring to the Volker Ruff book: Tiger Volume 1, Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 I noticed non of the  Tigers of this period had the afore mentioned heat effects,  lucky old me!

Therefore I used a little artistic licence and just hinted at what could be..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Along with the exhaust I had a dabble at the track fitting cable, not terribly exciting but all progress counts!

spacer.png

Way to clean and shiny at present, probably to much pigment even on top of the rust wash .

And as an added bonus made up some brackets and mounted some spare track links on the glacis plate and created a mount to hold the panzer III links between the radio operator and drivers positions, again as per photos in the earlier mentioned book.

spacer.png

Still work to be done on the track links and to tie the brackets into the earlier paintwork, filter, chips, etc, however it's nice to get back in the saddle and to get an idea of where it's going, at last!

All that said it's surprising how one progresses. I'm really not happy with decals anymore...all I can see is the shape of the carrier film. If doing this again I'd really want to try sanding those back to get rid of as much film as possible. 

Anyway that's all for now....

spacer.png

Darryl 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Right, just to keep Buggerlugs ( @M3talpig) happy I've cast all domestic responsibility asunder a spent a few pleasant hours on Janny.

OI i never said anything about playin with your fanny............................................i do apologise i completely miss read that............... any hoo that is starting to look very smart indeed heir Darryl ..... the track brackets came out nicely didn't they...as for the exhaust area, these are very young Tigers so i guess they didn't have time to build up all that soot... all in all Darryl its lookin very nice indeed :coolio:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

OI i never said anything about playin with your fanny............................................

Filth...pure filth!!:lalala:

It's all your fault, I used to be happy making models in my own slap dash way, now, now....

I'm using oils, bought a bottle of winsor and newton sansoder, really makes a difference btw, faffing around with pigments, washes, filters, adding bolt detail, and spending the price of the kit in some instances on a set of metal tracks.....must be barking mad! :mental:

• Haha 4

A little update and things to watch out for if you have this kit.

This following part I took a while trying to fit as it is very tight. It turns out that removing half the placement wedge clears up most of the problem.

p?i=950b34410436d4e9ae827d8836ee3860

Still a bit tight but with a push,sits flush.

p?i=214f0139c072ee38a4c22db253627acb

The instructions are a bit vague on somethings and this part needed to go in before the front part was firmly glued into place. I will have to rig up something so the periscopes can go in now.

p?i=525a6282eb7420617b40f82c855985ee

The front is also a very tight fit and needs some fettling for it to sit flush. As it will get scraped away for zim and a new light holder added it's not too big a problem. If you are doing one of the un-zimmed versions keep this in mind.

p?i=fec29fdbfc4d65ab3ac6bf3c292c4214

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

It's all your fault, I used to be happy making models in my own slap dash way, now, now

I strongly refute these wild accusations   :P...... here is a pic or two of my Tiger as it is right now as you can see it bares no resemblance to the wild statement made by hier Darryl...i mean just look at it ...almost straight from the box build :hmmm:

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Still lots to do ...still two more frets of PE plus i haven't finished the other track yet zimmerit for the turret yada yada yada ....yall get the idea :mental:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I strongly refute these wild accusations   :P...... here is a pic or two of my Tiger as it is right now as you can see it bares no resemblance to the wild statement made by hier Darryl...i mean just look at it ...almost straight from the box build :hmmm:

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Still lots to do ...still two more frets of PE plus i haven't finished the other track yet zimmerit for the turret yada yada yada ....yall get the idea :mental:

I’m so glad mine come straight from the box, looking like this 🤣

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A little update and things to watch out for if you have this kit.

This following part I took a while trying to fit as it is very tight. It turns out that removing half the placement wedge clears up most of the problem.

p?i=950b34410436d4e9ae827d8836ee3860

Still a bit tight but with a push,sits flush.

p?i=214f0139c072ee38a4c22db253627acb

The instructions are a bit vague on somethings and this part needed to go in before the front part was firmly glued into place. I will have to rig up something so the periscopes can go in now.

p?i=525a6282eb7420617b40f82c855985ee

The front is also a very tight fit and needs some fettling for it to sit flush. As it will get scraped away for zim and a new light holder added it's not too big a problem. If you are doing one of the un-zimmed versions keep this in mind.

p?i=fec29fdbfc4d65ab3ac6bf3c292c4214

This tight fitting seems to be a common system with RFM kits, due to the nature of the CAD design. 
Looking good though, Stef !! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

If Starfix did a Tiger....

Well I didn't like to say but....you're certainly dragging this oob build out a bit! You haven't worked for the local council at some point have you??

Those new fangled silver rubber band tracks look ok but I'd guess painting them could be a pain. Still joined together with a hot screwdriver blade??

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

This tight fitting seems to be a common system with RFM kits, due to the nature of the CAD design. 

It most certainly does, avoid if poss painting any mating surfaces like stub axles inparticular.

The tolerances can be really tight and paint is enough to cause issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

If Starfix did a Tiger....

Well I didn't like to say but....you're certainly dragging this oob build out a bit! You haven't worked for the local council at some point have you??

Those new fangled silver rubber band tracks look ok but I'd guess painting them could be a pain. Still joined together with a hot screwdriver blade??

He’s certainly doing a bang up job on the kit. 

The council road sweeping, on the other hand…… 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Potholes mate potholes wouldn't be any good at sweeping :mental:

Of course he's no good at sweeping,  he's the fella, fag in hand, sucking air through his teeth! 

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

He’s certainly doing a bang up job on the kit. 

We've had this conversation before Lee, he doesn't need any encouragement for gods sake! 

:bleh:

• Haha 2

Bit more plugging away at the old kitty....

Most of the tools mounted, should really have a pickaxe along with the sand shovel but....I won't tell of you don't!😉

Still working on the panzer III links, unfortunately tried a cheap grey primer from Aldi,  utter rubbish compared to the Halfords grey, it just wont take the usual track wash treatment! :wall:

Rest of the wheels mounted on the o/s, no idea why I'd left those off.

Still have the main tow cables to paint and mount yet, that's going to be fun, not!

Used the plastic ends but with copper cable, might have to mount as per the instructions as opposed to as the photos,  yea me bad!

Smoke grenade launchers fitted to the mounts, still needs a little paint to finish those and.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still to do Jerry can rack, stowage, figure, further weathering (earth effects) plus probably another half-dozen things I've forgotten about or misplaced!

I will get this flippin thing finished!!!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I will get this flippin thing finished!!!

Honestly hier Darryl that looks so nice , really want to get 213 finished so i can do me a sand Tiger.......and that's your fault...see i can throw baseless accusations too...........but really, it is your fault. 

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Check out the soot on the rear....

When using Tiger 131 as reference it does have to be remembered that she is a prized piece of a museum and so gets a great deal of love and care (as she should) lavished on her...so is never gonna really be seen weathered and dirty as she would have been in action, that said the soot on the back is already heavy and very noticeable even after a few very careful runs , so you can imagine how one would look after a few weeks of hard use......never get bored of looking at her though, in the next few years there's gonna be a few more working Tiger 1"s.

Think the Australian late Tiger at their armour museum is slated to have a fully working final build (the one i linked to on youtube) and the Wheatcroft Collection build i believe is going to be a full restoration....should be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Any tips on doing the rifling grooves in the big old Sturmtiger barrel? The etched metal part was useless and is now in a couple of pieces. (Definitely not user error.😳😀)

spacer.png

That'll be fun.....

Ultracast do a resin replacement apparently..

https://www.ultracast.ca/Hussar-HSR-35055-Sturmtiger-Gun-Barrel-p/hsr_35055.htm

Didn't Simon @Redcoat2966 do a build of this kit earlier this year?

Good luck Stef 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Any tips on doing the rifling grooves in the big old Sturmtiger barrel? The etched metal part was useless and is now in a couple of pieces. (Definitely not user error.😳😀)

spacer.png

Lead foil strips, glued in at an angle, and then trimmed flush at the muzzle, maybe ?

Trying to scribe them in would be a total pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will try and see if I can scratchbuild something.😲

Eduard and Aber do etched sets but it needs to be much thinner than the stuff RFM supply (eduard?). Simon used Voyager by the looks of it but they only do large comprehensive sets. 

All else fails, the Hussar gun looks fantastic. 

Or I could just blag it and pretend it didn't have any. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Lead foil strips, glued in at an angle, and then trimmed flush at the muzzle, maybe ?

What this geezer said .... take the inside diameter of the barrel then transfer it to a sheet of paper then you lay strips of thin lead foil or similar diagonally to get the correct angles spacing and number of grooves then you can glue the strips to the paper and roll before inserting to the barrel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1