Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

15 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

..so have you deserted from Joe S. & the russkies then ?...

OOOOHHH he's been moonlighting with ole uncle Joe has he ..........................traitor :hmmm:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

It's like one of those weird fish or insects that go white coz they never see the light of day :)

...so have you deserted from Joe S. & the russkies then ?...

Hi Thomas it's been a while glad to see your still chuffing along 🙂👍. Whilst I admit I've been on my travels of late I have remained focused and sensible throughout and I plan to finish off the Tiger soon though exactly when I'm not sure 🤔👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

One battered and beaten jack block...now needs the brackets for mounting.

spacer.png

It's only a small detail, and one I tend to neglect, but perfectly done.👏👍 Is it a real bit of wood or carved up plastic?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

It's only a small detail, and one I tend to neglect, but perfectly done.👏👍 Is it a real bit of wood or carved up plastic?

Balsa lead foil and a small bit of copper for the handle..............and thanks :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Big deal....just looks like a battered wooden block to me....:shrug:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Four pieces of 2mm brass tube, seven strands of 0.3mm copper wire and four strips of brass sheet and plenty of solder and presto two towing cables

spacer.png

Show off 🙄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, M3talpig said:

spacer.png

Hmm a balsa wood jack block.......would that not have got squished under the weight of a tank 🤔 

• Haha 5

Moving on from all this silliness, children....:bleh:

Just proof I've actually done something,  blink and you'll miss it but...(said the actress to the...).

Falafel filters mounted, and yes it's falafel non this feifel nonsense thank you very much.

Hollowed out the intake scoop/end, RFM provide it solid tut-tut. A dark wash has brought out the detail in the hoses, still needs a little more definition on the filter cans but its mounted and what is more importantly for this kit, its glue to plastic! Really struggling to get back into it for some reason.  Lesson taken from this is....don't park a build for 6mths!

As can be seen I've got a little carried away with the plastic carving technique to create damage on the exhaust shields and filter cans, ho-hum! Still lots more to be done on the shields in regards heat damage, soot, etc etc.

Also cut a couple of discs for the exhaust flaps, RFM provide these closed and from what I understand the N Africa based Tigers had them held open. Perhaps not as detailed or as intricate as @M3talpig version but I haven't yet sold my sole to Beelzebub to get the assistance from his demonic elves!

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all folks, now y'all go and play nicely. 

Darryl 

(Quickie, for soldering,  does anyone know if "solder paste" is just flux or a combination of flux and solder that can be brushed on and soldered??)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

https://soldersandfluxes.co.uk/p2219/Leaded-Solder-Wire-Fluxed-50g.html    ....... this is the solder i use

https://soldersandfluxes.co.uk/p1184/Fluxrite-Paste-Flux-for-Copper-Brass-and-Steel.html     ........ and flux .....the best in the business..... paste is just a flux and surface prep.

Tiger is comin on nice , the falafels  :rofl: look good and like the added detail on the exhaust,,,,in fact the paint and finish are all comin on nice Darryl.

As for mine i'm getting brass blind (think snow blindness you get the idea) and look at the frets i still have to do......going to be full on Stevie Wonder by the time this lot is done.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just where the chuff then does all the left over brass go, spinny thing on top??

So you have two benches, the work bench, out of sight and the "decorated" or "dressed" one we see in your wip pics?

I've been threatening to give this soldering lark a crack for at least 12mths really must try it. I've got the oxy acetylene bottles handy, thought they'd work better than the mig, reckon I could use a straightened coat hanger instead of rod?

Just not convinced its going to work....seams at bit.......risky. :jump_fire:

• Haha 2

Dear All,
This is my most recent addition to the stash.

3D printed tracks from TREX www.t-rex-studio.com.
Got this set of Tradera, Swedish version of EBay at a decent price 385 Sek including P&P.
That translates into 10 Bic Mac's.
I am still to learn about the properties of this media, don't know quite what adesesive I should use or how they paint or break.
But so far I have assembled 14 links with only one pin breaking and that did not affect the assembly. You can see the missing pin head in picture 5.  
There is no cleanup required and the links look very much OK in my eyes. 
And they fit the drive sprocket as shown below.

Box
2v2aRJAugx6eHcV.jpg
Content
2v2aRJA3zx6eHcV.jpg
Assy
2v2aRJAUCx6eHcV.jpg
Link
2v2aRJAEGx6eHcV.jpg
Drive
2v2aRJAaqx6eHcV.jpg

So - back to fiddling with those pins, 2/link and 180 links to go (210 in the box, have not counted the pins) :)

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modeling!

Zack

• Like 8

On 10/19/2021 at 7:28 AM, M3talpig said:

https://soldersandfluxes.co.uk/p2219/Leaded-Solder-Wire-Fluxed-50g.html    ....... this is the solder i use

https://soldersandfluxes.co.uk/p1184/Fluxrite-Paste-Flux-for-Copper-Brass-and-Steel.html     ........ and flux .....the best in the business..... paste is just a flux and surface prep.

Tiger is comin on nice , the falafels  :rofl: look good and like the added detail on the exhaust,,,,in fact the paint and finish are all comin on nice Darryl.

As for mine i'm getting brass blind (think snow blindness you get the idea) and look at the frets i still have to do......going to be full on Stevie Wonder by the time this lot is done.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

I notice you use Zap-a-gap, guessing you find it better than normal CA? If so can you explain please?

I just brought some AK Black widow (black CA gule), but not tried it yet.

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

I notice you use Zap-a-gap, guessing you find it better than normal CA? If so can you explain please?

I only use the Zap to glue finished assemblies of PE to the model and filling parts that are hard to reach with standard fillers , all my PE is soldered ....i used the black widow stuff from AK for a while myself but i had problems with it thickening in the bottle.....the Zap stuff is slightly thinner and can be used with resin powder to fill gaps also Zap does there stuff in big bottles with double caps (inner cap and outer cap) so less chance of it drying out in the bottle.....other than that it doesn't do anything that everyday CA does.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zack said:

3D printed tracks from TREX www.t-rex-studio.com.

They look really crisp Zack..nicely detailed ....amazing what they can 3D print now , the technology is moving on leaps and bounds......don't think it will be long before we start seeing full kits produced this way.

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Daryl took matters into his own hands, trying out a little soldering….

The learning curve was steep…

At least he had no problems getting heat into the brass using that   :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Daryl took matters into his own hands, trying out a little soldering….

The learning curve was steep…

spacer.png

Gawd dang it rumbled.....(he says in his best American for Lee @Longbow)

I guess that's one of those little American jobs, nowt like a good old fashioned  British lighter!

spacer.png

Just not convinced Eduard etch is as robust as it used to be.....

• Haha 4

Last night was spent soldering the side skirts..... first and last bolt holes were pinned so as to make a far more solid mount for them.

spacer.png 

First and last mount blocks have been drilled to except the pinned guards

spacer.png

simple push fit and nice and sturdy

spacer.png

Just the other side to do then time to add the bolt heads

spacer.png

• Like 10