Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Not had as much progress as i would have liked ...hit a bit of a problem with the 20t long jack which i was going to use from the Takom spares i had ...either it was too big or the badly detailed Tamiya is too small, either way the the rather nice PE brackets were designed for the Tamiya jack...

So i stripped the Tamiya jack to a bare shape and re did all the detail also added detail to the starter plate which was missing and whilst i was in the mood to do small details finished the fire extinguisher added the brass MG34 to the radio operators position and the tarp tie downs to the engine deck.... (very small barely visible) one can be seen just above the jack.

All the brackets are still workable but decided to mount the jack so i wouldn't accidently crush the parts with my sausage fingers while handling the model. Tonight i will start on the tool mounts at the front of the hull and cut and shape the side skirts ready for soldering.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 13

On 05/05/2021 at 17:17, M3talpig said:

First half of the idler mould poured ...... I have mixed the RTV so it will slow cure this should give time for the smaller air bubbles to rise to the surface...it won't be perfect but it will be perfectly usable.. and being I don't do a lot of casting buying a degassing chamber is not an option (very expensive)

spacer.png

When they pour concrete they use industrial vibrators to get air bubbles to rise to the surface.  You may want to try sitting on top of a mini drill or some other buzzy thing.  Cant do any harm on a couple of test pieces.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, johnccc said:

When they pour concrete they use industrial vibrators to get air bubbles to rise to the surface.  You may want to try sitting on top of a mini drill or some other buzzy thing.  Cant do any harm on a couple of test pieces.

John 

Was gonna give them to the wife and get her to sit on the spin dryer ............ :D

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

That's looking awesome Mr Pigg...👍

Looking at the pics  you have to keep reminding yourself how tiny some of these detail parts are in 1/35

Doing the rivets on the jack were a bit of a pain .... but worth it in the end ...as always the photos do it no justice the jack is really nice and almost a model in its own right.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, M3talpig said:

First half of the idler mould poured ...... I have mixed the RTV so it will slow cure this should give time for the smaller air bubbles to rise to the surface...it won't be perfect but it will be perfectly usable.. and being I don't do a lot of casting buying a degassing chamber is not an option (very expensive)

spacer.png

Resin moulders mist the surface with alcohol. 
It gets rid of the air bubbles. 

Now….

Don’t Jack this up !!

🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Highly likely to do a version of this one, captured at Oberempt or working around Duren.

spacer.png

I will have to dig the book out but i think the modeller Angus Creighton did a version of this very vehicle in the Tamiya publication How to build steel wheeled Tiger 1's...did a lovely job of it too.... look forward to seeing your take on it.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I will have to dig the book out but i think the modeller Angus Creighton did a version of this very vehicle in the Tamiya publication How to build steel wheeled Tiger 1's...did a lovely job of it too.... look forward to seeing your take on it.

I am sure that I will do such a bang up job that Angus will quit modelling through shame.😀👍

Just found the book online and it looks good. Looks like some shop is getting some more money.👍

Edited by Stef N.
Addition.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 17:16, M3talpig said:

PMA...... POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE........ you can do it . 

Word of caution; once, and only once, I suggested that to the good lady wife...

I'd only suggested if she got her finger out she could get the shopping done and the lawn cut before making dinner.... 

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I do love the added realism from PE but this little lot is enough to drive the perfectly sane to distraction  :wall::mental:...... that said they will look and work great once fitted:D

Anyway I digress, how much did it cost, your pact with Beelzebub to get his little army of elves to create that little lot along with all the tiny tiny parts??

Nutter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While I wait for the Ferdi to dry I thought I'd crack open the box and have a start on this. Waiting for some Zim to come from Germany so I'll begin with the wheels etc. There is a bit of interior but as it can't be seen very much I might leave it off (and I remember reading that it can be a bit of a PITA.) Anyway here are the obligatory and numerous (not Miniart levels) sprue shots.

p?i=24c074806699231cacdf195977971501

p?i=76043f66f22e4ca8253d81eab6395751

• Like 7

Here's a quicky, fire extinguisher for back of North African Tiger any suggestions for colour?

I'd been thinking creamy white,...ish??

With frame/bracket in same colour as tank.

Anyone any decent pics of exhaust shrouds, thinking of the colour of the heat and soot staining.

Bit like this. 

20170423-155354.jpg

Thanks Darryl 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Here's a quicky, fire extinguisher for back of North African Tiger any suggestions for colour?

I'd been thinking creamy white,...ish??

As far as i'm aware the extinguisher colour was the same as the tank exterior the only time they were picked out in a different colour was on interior extinguishers and they were red....as for exhaust staining around the shields that would have been varying shades of very dark grey to black and very sooty as the Maybachs burned a fair amount of oil...also the damaged by heat paint would have been bleached so there would have been areas of light grey around the edges.....think burned out vehicle but very localized Darryl.

• Thanks 1

Here you can see that soot staining is normally between the shields and deck and discolouration on the outside of the shields is by heat from the very hot exhaust.....

See how the whitewash is starting to burn off on the top of the shields.

spacer.png 

And on this photo the heat has burned a lot of the paint off the shields altogether ,also see between the stacks ...how dark it is with staining

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tools mounted ...still have to do the jack block (on the bench now) and the C-hooks for towing..... next.... time to remove the tools and lay all the tiny weld seams around the clamps.

spacer.png 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Tools mounted ...still have to do the jack block (on the bench now) and the C-hooks for towing..... next.... time to remove the tools and lay all the tiny weld seams around the clamps.

Amazing what can be done in 1/144!

• Haha 2

As far as i'm aware the extinguisher colour was the same as the tank exterior the only time they were picked out in a different colour was on interior extinguishers and they were red....as for exhaust staining around the shields that would have been varying shades of very dark grey to black and very sooty as the Maybachs burned a fair amount of oil...also the damaged by heat paint would have been bleached so there would have been areas of light grey around the edges.....think burned out vehicle but very localized Darryl.

Here you can see that soot staining is normally between the shields and deck and discolouration on the outside of the shields is by heat from the very hot exhaust.....

See how the whitewash is starting to burn off on the top of the shields. 

And on this photo the heat has burned a lot of the paint off the shields altogether ,also see between the stacks ...how dark it is with staining

Thanks bud, thought I'd seen pics of one in a creamy white colour but exterior colour makes life easier! :)

As for the heat damage then I guess the world is ones oyster :hmmm:

Appreciate your input and assistance old chap! :like:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks bud, thought I'd seen pics of one in a creamy white colour but exterior colour makes life easier! :)

The real deal ...got pics of one in panzer grey as well but can't find it right now

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Well poke me in the eye with a blunt stick......this was hiding behind the paste table in the spare room 🙂

Bout time you pulled you head outa your butt and got that finished then Mr Andy...... :D

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Bout time you pulled you head outa your butt and got that finished then Mr Andy...... :D

Indeed....I think you may have a point 🤔

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Well poke me in the eye with a blunt stick......this was hiding behind the paste table in the spare room 🙂

spacer.png

It's like one of those weird fish or insects that go white coz they never see the light of day :)

...so have you deserted from Joe S. & the russkies then ?...

• Haha 2