Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Right,

Engine pictures,
I am not sure if that is a German soldier or a Ruski, but it is an interesting close up of the turret number:

2v2a6jPhyx6eHcV.jpg

Not much tobe seen in this one:

2v2a6jPC5x6eHcV.jpg

These guys seem to be working on the same element, could it be the carbureators?

2v2a6jPLgx6eHcV.jpg

I did remember I have a Bundesarchiv account so I was sniffing around in there when I remembered someone saying that the best way to find something on BM is a Google search for "Britmodeller "abc123"" were "abc123" is what you are looking for.
So I tried a google search for "Bundesarchiv Bild 101*" using Chrome (my default browser).
And loads came up, allowing you to filter further and all kind of fancy stuff.

Point is -> with Bundesarchiv pictures you are free to add these to your discussions as long as you don't mixture with the Bundesarchiv label window bottom left.

Happy browsing guys!

Zack, explorer of the archives and public secrets...

PS: you will find loads of stuff in there that other people publish under copy right regulations in books and so on.
Well the BA is free as long as you do not use the pictures commercially (there are some other common sense rules as well).

This is the Wikimedia Commons disclaimer:
This image was provided to Wikimedia Commons by the German Federal Archive (Deutsches Bundesarchiv) as part of a cooperation project. The German Federal Archive guarantees an authentic representation only using the originals (negative and/or positive), resp. the digitalization of the originals as provided by the Digital Image Archive

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Good pics, German soldier(s) ...certainly not Russian

My comment was about picture #1.

2&3 are for sure German troopers. 

Of course you are right PW, the BA WWII pictures are taken by German war photographers.

I picked up #1 in different contex.

Sry.

• Like 1

I agree with Mr. Pig. Definitely a German in the first pic. 

Nice pix, btw....  I have tried to use the archives before, but struggled to locate anything at all, due to being a non-German speaker.

(Despite what Kirsten Burger once said, in Koln....) :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

The man in no1 pic looks to me the same bloke as on the right in pic 3.

The side caps, forage caps, or whatever you want to call them are quite different to the simpler Russian "pilotka" version.

I must check out bundesarchiv, good find there 👍

"Schiffchen"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiffchen_(Uniform)

"Bergmütze"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmütze

"Feldmütze"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldmütze

On 9/24/2021 at 10:06 AM, Pig of the Week said:

The man in no1 pic looks to me the same bloke as on the right in pic 3.

The side caps, forage caps, or whatever you want to call them are quite different to the simpler Russian "pilotka" version.

I must check out bundesarchiv, good find there 👍

Swedish name is båtmössa, translates to boat cap. 

Taking my boat out of the sea this weekend so no bench time. 

So i'm back at the bench ....had a bit of a creative crisis lately lol....but the late Tiger is now back under construction, and as my juices are flowing again i have been catching up with some of my favourite builders on Youtube....one video i watch over and over is a Japanese modeller, his way of painting reminds me of a canvas painter , his methods are so organic and the layers of opaque colour and technique is totally unique as far as i can see...he deserves a much bigger following so thought i would share

• Like 4

On 26/09/2021 at 17:09, M3talpig said:

So i'm back at the bench ....had a bit of a creative crisis lately lol....but the late Tiger is now back under construction, and as my juices are flowing again i have been catching up with some of my favourite builders on Youtube....one video i watch over and over is a Japanese modeller, his way of painting reminds me of a canvas painter , his methods are so organic and the layers of opaque colour and technique is totally unique as far as i can see...he deserves a much bigger following so thought i would share

Well.........

Back at the bench and...:poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:09 PM, M3talpig said:

Well, it’s about time !!

You've been gone longer than me :D

• Haha 2

On 28/09/2021 at 22:04, Longbow said:

Well, it’s about time !!

On 28/09/2021 at 20:56, Jasper dog said:

Well.........

Back at the bench and...:poke:

Some update piccys of the progress with Tiger 213...more to come as work continues .......

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

All the copper is scratch built all the silver is photo etch...still lots to do ..........three full frames of etch still to do.... the cable for the tracks was made from seven strands of 0.08 mm copper wire some small formers made from scrap brass and then some solder to tie the cable ends ...did this with soft copper so i could stretch and deform the cable to show heavy use ...still have the zimmerit to do on the turret.......well you get the idea still a lot of work ahead.....plus plans for at least another three Tigers :rage:

• Like 10

Think one corner of the rear most L/H etch grill has snagged on something and could do with a spot of glue!

Otherwise not bad...:whistle:

That really is quite something mate, inspiring and slightly sickening at the same time! :tasty:

When I said showing it at Telford, forget it, way beyond Telford and ipms stuff, think you should be contemplating SMC in the Netherlands and Moson in Hungary. 

No way I can comment on it all but, you're zimmerit, metal work, weld beads, texture and on and on.

And all so neat and crisp.

Great work

Darryl 

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, M3talpig said:

one video i watch over and over is a Japanese modeller, his way of painting reminds me of a canvas painter , his methods are so organic and the layers of opaque colour and technique is totally unique as far as i can see...he deserves a much bigger following so thought i would share

Thanks for sharing this. Lots of ideas I hope will translate to 1/72. 

The Zimmerit on your Tiger 1 above looks good - I can't recall your technique for Zim (Memory of a goldfish.) Please could you remind me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, echen said:

The Zimmerit on your Tiger 1 above looks good - I can't recall your technique for Zim (Memory of a goldfish.) Please could you remind me.

Isn't it one of those early Eduard etch zimm sets...:whistle:    

:giggle:

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

:giggle:

I used one of those sets when they first came out. Best thing since sliced bread. Now deep under some part of Hertfordshire countryside.😀

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, echen said:

spacer.png

These are the tools used ...the wooden stick is the applicator for the magic sculpt..as you can see it is beveled at the end the two white plastic sticks are used for the pattern of the zimmerit one wide and one slim for hard to reach areas.

Mix the magic sculpt same as you would any other two part putty...don't rush as you have plenty of working time....

soak the wooden applicator in the tub of water and keep the tip moist as you work use the applicator to apply the magic sculpt to the surface you want to apply zimmerit to...

smoosh the magic sculpt over the surface..small areas at a time so you can control the depth of the putty...ideally you want it really thin almost transparent remember to keep the wooden tool moist

once you have one complete surface coated you now want to gently sprinkle over the surface of the magic sculpt with the talcum powder ...this does two things ...soaks up any excess moisture and prevents the putty from sticking to the tool you use to put the zimmerit pattern on with...

once you have applied your pattern use the soft brush and remove the excess talcum powder ...now leave it to dry for 24 hours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

When I said showing it at Telford, forget it, way beyond Telford and ipms stuff, think you should be contemplating SMC in the Netherlands and Moson in Hungary. 

While i am most chuffed you would think that i have seen the stuff that is entered in too those shows i'm not on that level ...but thanks anyway :D

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Think one corner of the rear most L/H etch grill has snagged on something and could do with a spot of glue!

cheeky..... :P

52 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

see above :P

Texturing of the upper surfaces of the hull applied ...once set will have a quick buff with some 2000 grade wet and dry and then time to do the tool clamps and so on.

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 8

18 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Texturing of the upper surfaces of the hull applied ...once set will have a quick buff with some 2000 grade wet and dry and then time to do the tool clamps and so on.

spacer.png spacer.png

Well talk about rare as hens teeth!

Never thought I'd live to see the day......a completed build by young Steve!

They are both Tigers, right?😉

Looking back at your zimm method, great btw, Martin K (Uncle Nightshift) has a recent video of his method on his YouTube channel.

Might have to have a go at this texturing and zimm lark, one day....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Tiger #S12 from Grossdeutschland.

March, 1943. Borissowka. 

Oh dear...that's not looking good......tried crossing on an ice bridge i assume....at 56 ton probably not a great idea.

Possible next project from you or just an interesting piccy ?

• Like 1