Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

26 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I keep forgetting the small scale of these !... I guess they're a kind of halfway point between 1/35 and 1/76

Exactly, they’re much smaller, but not so tiny I can’t see what I’m doing! I suspect 1/48 would work as well, but I enjoy modifying the wargames kits, it’s “impressionist” modelling rather than precision, so makes a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Exactly, they’re much smaller, but not so tiny I can’t see what I’m doing! I suspect 1/48 would work as well, but I enjoy modifying the wargames kits, it’s “impressionist” modelling rather than precision, so makes a nice change of pace.

Well they look bloody good to me 👍  ( also I guess you can amass large forces for less dosh !)

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I used Humbrol tube filler/putty applied thinly with a flexible spatula, then scored using a fine razor saw blade

I was thinking about a similar job on my Jagdpanzer IV using Revell putty but I bottled out and decided to modify it to a later, post zimmerit, version. 🥴

13 minutes ago, echen said:

I was thinking about a similar job on my Jagdpanzer IV using Revell putty but I bottled out and decided to modify it to a later, post zimmerit, version. 🥴

Suggest getting a cheap Italeri or Armourfast gaming kit and giving it a go on that, decide if it’s worth the effort without committing yourself on an expensive model

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 19:55, 06/24 said:

It’s not a Tiger, but it is a big cat...

51240428686_deb7e5bfb2_c.jpgSpeed build Panther by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

So sorry to barge into this Tiger Club meeting ;)

but... is it me or do those tracks look odd, like they have switched directions at the seam? (just for my own understanding -as a Jerry I must beef up my knowledge on these things :) )

1 minute ago, Johnny Tip said:

So sorry to barge into this Tiger Club meeting ;)

but... is it me or do those tracks look odd, like they have switched directions at the seam? (just for my own understanding -as a Jerry I must beef up my knowledge on these things :) )

Yeah, I wondered that, they do look a bit odd, one of the compromises of a wargames model I suspect. - I tried various combinations and there wasn’t a way to fit them that didn’t look odd (they are just two lengths, upper and lower. A piece of plastic section over the join might help, as it wouldn’t mean the join was quite so obvious (I was just going to add mud!)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

is it me or do those tracks look odd

How about blending a plastic card ridge into the join to even it up a bit?

18 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

... one of the compromises of a wargames model I suspect. .

I guess you're right. Wargames models aren't to be trusted in the least... that's why I steer clear of them (and i'm certainly not a rivet counter)

39 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

A piece of plastic section over the join might help, as it wouldn’t mean the join was quite so obvious (I was just going to add mud!)

17 minutes ago, echen said:

How about blending a plastic card ridge into the join to even it up a bit?

Great minds...

• Like 1

Well it has been a busy couple of weeks....got two commissions on the same day by two different customers... so have been at the bench for what feels like an eternity, plus side I now have some free funds to invest in the stash and some pocket money for my visit to the tank museum in August.

Hope everybody has been well will be getting back to the late Tiger at some point over the next few days...nice to see the thread is still kicking.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Well it has been a busy couple of weeks....got two commissions on the same day by two different customers... so have been at the bench for what feels like an eternity, plus side I now have some free funds to invest in the stash and some pocket money for my visit to the tank museum in August.

Hope everybody has been well will be getting back to the late Tiger at some point over the next few days...nice to see the thread is still kicking.

Any excuse too escape the Rif-Raf !! :D

I have a few minor items to put on the Tiger, prior to primer stage, but I got distracted by the magnificent men, in their flying machines....

Also finished my second GB, the other week.... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Ahh Herr Pigg, nice of you to drop by !... ( I bet he's been swanning around at some nudist resort really ;) )

• Haha 2

Hello all.

I read this entire thread over the last couple of days and have been inspired to have a go.

A RFM Tiger 1 Initial (1943) is on order from @Duncan B, Given the last German Armour I built was my Afrika Korps set using Tamiya kits this will be an education!

As an side, 14 year old me obviously thought that the war in the Western Desert went on until about December '44 as my Afrika Korps had:

Tiger 1

King Tiger

Jagd Tiger

Which would have changed the balance of some of the battles for sure!  I only wish I had pictures or had kept them!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, At Sea said:

A RFM Tiger 1 Initial (1943) is on order from @Duncan B, Given the last German Armour I built was my Afrika Korps set using Tamiya kits this will be an education!

Be good to have you aboard...can't go wrong with an RFM InItial Tiger ...a very good kit indeed. Just make sure we get photos and some updates on the build :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Be good to have you aboard...can't go wrong with an RFM InItial Tiger ...a very good kit indeed. Just make sure we get photos and some updates on the build :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to it, will do!

Just got a new Tiger. I managed to persuade myself not to buy the kit from America for £58 plus postage and got the same thing for £9.50 in the UK, including postage..................

y4mefU4WdJU6uuJpJrL9KRlPkYscDQPuZXoyc8ix

y4meS_9Yxnzhx0-64iJv_4Nm0XDqYzUvP4fyerzq y4mBbHp90YQct9uaGfsiPSQQmaRhklB_VDCBpnBF

y4mX8rq8LhKEEM87DAcRNDjQIwFg-7nv9ZRvd2aS

Detail looks ok as did my Revell Tiger 1 H that is still on the way to completion. (I know I said I wouldn't get any more 'til I'd finished what I had - but at £9.50 all in..........)

I'm beginning to wonder if one-seventy-tooth is out of fashion. The E I got had been up for auction twice at £12.00 and reduced to £6.00. There were no other bidders. I guess 1/35 provides scope for the super work produced by so many fellow Britmodellers but I don't have the storage space.

A little research shows that some late Tiger E's did not have Zimmerit so I think I might get away without it, particularly as I just converted my early Jagdpanzer IV to a late one to avoid zim; but am prepared to stand corrected if anyone knows better. (An orderly queue, please)

I'm thinking about trying to scratch the exhausts to include the "lids" supported by the 5 bars to replace the supplied solid blocks, we'll see. (Bottled this on my H.)

Happy modelling, one and all.

E

• Like 7

I'm being drawn to finish my 502, Narva, build......

Have a few things on the bench though, at the moment.... Wont mention what :D

Danged Auto Correct !!

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 3

I've been wondering about @Andy J, lately....

You think his wife banned him, after all the kits he brought ?? :D

I swear, I've been going crazy on the purchase side lately, and I try to be outside when the mail man runs....

I grab the box/s, and dump them in the car truck before the wife sees :D

I, am a bad, bad, man.... But i do work two jobs, but so it shouldn't be a problem, but then I get hit with Catholic guilt, even though I'm defiantly not Catholic.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Longbow said:

But i do work two jobs,

Two jobs, model making, watching out for the mail man and breathing!!!

How do you find time for it all?🙂

Edited by echen
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You think his wife banned him, after all the kits he brought ??

Ummm, no - he's actually been buying a lot more.....

just of a different kind of vehicle - ones that are usually a lot shinier and less muddy..... :)

Keith

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ummm, no - he's actually been buying a lot more.....

just of a different kind of vehicle - ones that are usually a lot shinier and less muddy..... :)

Keith

CARS ??!!

• Haha 3