Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I can't find it now but I don't think it was ridiculously priced. There's also one with the crane...... 

This one, with crane gantry,  ebay no.  323819437147  is  £73 from a uk seller on ebay, the ones with the truck were similar price, but the ones I saw were coming from China.

• Like 1

Been a while since getting behnd the bench, had an hour this afternoon :o

Having loads of work done on the house lately so i've been busy else where until now, Now a shortage of materials has put the brakes 

on the build so I'm grabbing a bit of Tiger time.

Front decks are now glued in position, I'm hoping that ths never had Zim applied? 

Driver and wireless Ops hatches are being worked on, they are not glued yet. 

P1090724

P1090725

P1090726

Loaders hatch detailed, again not glued 

P1090727

P1090730

Front mud guards soldered up 

P1090731

P1090732

Exhausts getting some texture 

P1090733

P1090734

Now the side skirts are soldered up I can get on with the final zimmeritt on the sides .

Enjoy 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

This one, with crane gantry,  ebay no.  323819437147  is  £73 from a uk seller on ebay, the ones with the truck were similar price, but the ones I saw were coming from China.

Aye, looking at emodels/SMS/Hannants £60-70 seems to be the going rate for the different versions. Although I have the same lack of space as Ned it is one that is very tempting.

19 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Speedbuild and basecoat paint all this afternoon 

Are the tracks separate pieces or all in one part with the wheels and just painted so well that they look to be separate?

Separate, I’m not that talented! The tracks come as two parts on the Panther, a top and bottom run, while the Tiger has four parts a side. Sprayed with the last of my supply of Humbrol polished steel spray. The Dunkelgelb is Humbrol 237 Desert Sand, it’s a slightly paler tone which I like.

• Thanks 1

On 27/12/2020 at 12:57, Jasper dog said:

Here's a question to lob the tiger amidst the  pigeons..

Tunisia based /operated Tigers...colour?      Graugrun  RAL 7008 

Braun       RAL  8020

Sandgelb  RAL  ?

Or anything else I've not thought of?

:worms:

I'm thinking single colour as opposed to the camouflage example like the bovington one?

My idea, for now, being either Tiger 141

or 241. 141 is the easy option, 241 requires slight modifications like the 20odd Jerry can rack on the turret roof and moving headlamps..

Cheers

Darryl 

I saw Tiger 131 on display at Bovington around 43 years ago in what was supposedly the original  paint scheme it was captured in. It was an overall naturally worn sand colour with grey showing through in places. I purchased a  museum booklet with a clear photo of it. At that time the Panther, Porsche Turreted Tiger 2 prototype and Jagdtiger were all in the original schemes they were captured in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I saw Tiger 131 on display at Bovington around 43 years ago in what was supposedly the original  paint scheme it was captured in. It was an overall naturally worn sand colour with grey showing through in places. I purchased a  museum booklet with a clear photo of it. At that time the Panther, Porsche Turreted Tiger 2 prototype and Jagdtiger were all in the original schemes they were captured in. 

What a shame they didn't just leave them like that !

10 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

What a shame they didn't just leave them like that !

Yes it is, the original colours, although a bit worn, and devoid of a lot of markings(the Tiger 2, Panther and Jagdtiger are all prototypes) looked a lot better than the silly glossy  colours they are painted in today. The Tiger 1 looked a lot more impressive than she does today. I've never understood where they got the glossy two tone scheme from? They actually have a library of photos of 131 as captured and on trials in the UK.

Edited by Whitewolf

36 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Yes it is, the original colours, although a bit worn, and devoid of a lot of markings(the Tiger 2, Panther and Jagdtiger are all prototypes) looked a lot better than the silly glossy  colours they are painted in today. The Tiger 1 looked a lot more impressive than she does today. I've never understood where they got the glossy two tone scheme from? They actually have a library of photos of 131 as captured and on trials in the UK.

It's like getting the stuff in the British Museum and giving it all a coat of hammerite or something.. Crazy!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

First attempt at homemade zimmerit 

51247624194_c0258b6617_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51247624589_87d0a00d5b_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I know it’s very rough, but the tank is supposed to be a disabled casualty, so might end up with fire damage, any any event, it’s small enough that the eye, rather than the lens, just notices the texture, at least that’s what I hope. Be kind, I’ve still got the turret to do!

• Like 3

Thank you. I must admit I’m quite optimistic.

51247002456_5b6aaa7fd5_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51246281442_3b408d5080_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51247002356_f3ed4e21bb_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I’ve dropped the leading wheels slightly to show the track has gone, the rolled out track isn’t quite right (the Rubicon tracks aren’t as nice as the Italeri ones anyway) as the first few links off the sprocket don’t hang quite right. I replaced the missing sprocket teeth with spares from the alternative set of tracks Rubicon supply. The spare tracks also mean I can have another try at the broken track links if I want.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Thank you. I must admit I’m quite optimistic.

51247002456_5b6aaa7fd5_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51246281442_3b408d5080_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51247002356_f3ed4e21bb_c.jpgRubicon Models 1/56 Tiger 1 with home made zimmerit and broken track by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I’ve dropped the leading wheels slightly to show the track has gone, the rolled out track isn’t quite right (the Rubicon tracks aren’t as nice as the Italeri ones anyway) as the first few links off the sprocket don’t hang quite right. I replaced the missing sprocket teeth with spares from the alternative set of tracks Rubicon supply. The spare tracks also mean I can have another try at the broken track links if I want.

Looks good so far !

The only thing I'd say about busted tracks is to think about how they lay, what happened and how they'd have got like that....a good thing to study in pics of wrecks, you want it to be believable.. Not saying yours aren't, just a thought !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, echen said:

How did you do the zim?

I used Humbrol tube filler/putty applied thinly with a flexible spatula, then scored using a fine razor saw blade, a technique I nicked from http://volleyfirepainting.blogspot.com/2014/11/rubicon-tiger-review-pt1.html

It was fairly easy and quick to do (albeit a bit messy), although getting the vertical marks correct was a bit hit and miss, especially on rounded surfaces like the turret sides. I’m hopeful that with paint it will look ok, especially given the relatively small size of these models.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I used Humbrol tube filler/putty applied thinly with a flexible spatula, then scored using a fine razor saw blade, a technique I nicked from http://volleyfirepainting.blogspot.com/2014/11/rubicon-tiger-review-pt1.html

It was fairly easy and quick to do (albeit a bit messy), although getting the vertical marks correct was a bit hit and miss, especially on rounded surfaces like the turret sides. I’m hopeful that with paint it will look ok, especially given the relatively small size of these models.

I keep forgetting the small scale of these !... I guess they're a kind of halfway point between 1/35 and 1/76