Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

I got distracted by the new Night Shift video. 

Watched with interest...i did this recently ... a chapel... also did a Italian farmhouse and a French corner shop all made from sheets of plaster then the detail etched in with a darning needle...was gonna take moulds of them and do things like doors and window details in resin and sell as a limited run kit on eBay but the enthusiasm was lost..... 

spacer.png spacer.png 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

That's very a impressive bit of piggy building there dear sir..!  When you say plaster, is it like plaster board or did you cast the sections ?

I made plasticard trays at roughly 6.5mm deep and using casting plaster mixed to a pourable consistency poured it in to the tray, gave it a shake to level and to help air rise...20 mins later popped them out and started carving them out.... as you can see the chapel was never finished but I keep them wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in a box in case I ever get the enthusiasm to pick up were I left off..... Had a whole series of them planned.

• Like 2

I've been collecting the "Airfix ruins"; European Ruined Café, European Country Cottage Ruin, Italian Townhouse Ruin, European Workshop Ruin, European Ruined Church, European Corner House Ruin whenever I've seen them cheap on-line. they're 1/76 but look well with 1/72. I'll get round to working on them one day. They seem to have some fine detail, PE window frames etc. I hope to make further detail of wrecked beams and fallen rubble when I get round to building them. At least with the Airfix stuff I have a head start with the construction. Mr. M3talpig's scratch building looks so good, though.

Edited by echen
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 7:47 AM, Dads203 said:

Im still following along but do not have much time for building I’m afraid, we are having a new kitchen installed, pretty much a straight forward job for most people but here in the Dads household it’s not as easy as that. We are removing most of the structural walls downstairs just for a bit of fun, obviously replacing them with a huge amount of steel before anyone says. 

No WIP and eventual RFI though .....? :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

I made plasticard trays at roughly 6.5mm deep and using casting plaster mixed to a pourable consistency poured it in to the tray, gave it a shake to level and to help air rise...20 mins later popped them out and started carving them out.... as you can see the chapel was never finished but I keep them wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in a box in case I ever get the enthusiasm to pick up were I left off..... Had a whole series of them planned.

Most interesting...did you cast plain flat "sheets" and carve all the features or did you cast them with door / window apertures already.. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Most interesting...did you cast plain flat "sheets" and carve all the features or did you cast them with door / window apertures already.. ?

Yep just plain flat sheets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Some progress with the cam.

Getting there mate ...bit of weathering few final touches and you can call that done......:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Grabbed and hour today, no work on the house ;)

Side skirts are soldered up, this will allow me to Zimmeritt the sides, well one as I have to solder up the other side now.

P1090715

P1090717

P1090718

P1090716

Also been fiddling with the spare track links on the turret, these are not glued up yet.

P1090723

And acquired one of these for the Tiger,  Dragon for some reason do not supply a commanders MG ? 

P1090722

This one is 3D printed so I'm interested to see what its like. The mount looks very well detailed. 

P1090721

P1090719

Enjoy 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

This one is 3D printed so I'm interested to see what its like. The mount looks very well detailed. 

be interesting too see how the detail on the 34 stacks up against the injection moulded competition....... and great work on the soldering on the skirts ....got mine to do soon

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2021 at 04:06, M3talpig said:

Watched with interest...i did this recently ... a chapel... also did a Italian farmhouse and a French corner shop all made from sheets of plaster then the detail etched in with a darning needle...was gonna take moulds of them and do things like doors and window details in resin and sell as a limited run kit on eBay but the enthusiasm was lost..... 

That Church looks very good, you should of carried on with that project ;)

Matt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Dads203 with regards to your Tamiya putty zim that you got a bit fed up with, I think it looks very good, and if you compare it with Night Shifts Zim that he did on his tiger (I linked his vid about 20 pages back, lol) using the same stuff, then yours is just as good if not better because he cheated and had a lot of dmg in his, so he had less area to cover ;)

Agree with Mr Piggy as well, the metal mudguards are lookin' cool, and if your model making then the upstairs hasn't suddenly become the downstairs,... yet, lol 

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Haven't heard anything from Andrei recently, hope he hasn't forgotten how to speak English or somethin' :)

Has been a bit quiet around here lately...... speaking of quiet when are we gonna get an update on the 16th scale Tiger your supposed to be doin

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Has been a bit quiet around here lately...... speaking of quiet when are we gonna get an update on the 16th scale Tiger your supposed to be doin

Very true...I've got 2 to fiddle with, the King Kong thing and the other one !..I've also been juggling various other projects at the mo too, including sticking some guitars together !  \m/  :)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 4:35 PM, echen said:

Talking of comedy and errors (but I'm not laughing).......................

y4mvjZ7CEJtiQ8AkyhTzNOBRtrpEwCFahIAGtC4s

Attempted to start the cam on the Tiger. It's Humbrol acrylic on Humbrol enamel but it isn't playing ball. The edges of the stripes are misbehaving very badly.

I wonder if I need to do an overall acrylic matt varnish or, perhaps an enamel one?

Any ideas, please, peeps?  :worry:

Hi Echen, the best tip I can give you on hand painted camo' is many thin layers of a high pigment acrylic.....like Vallejo. On my Tiger with the splinter camo' below....I'd say I needed at least 4 coats. In effect you lay 25% of the final colour at a time. Trying to hand paint camo' in one shot can lead to issues. I tried at first to do it that way, and found that you get raised edges where the paint dry's thicker, and brush marks and will show up at certain angles. The thinner you paint the better, same as airbrushing really. In a way also, you "sculpt" the shapes edges..........as some of the chap's said, weathering will smother a certain amount, but I feel the tighter it is at the beginning the better in the long run......below the Tiger is the Sturm' with hand painted camo' post weathering.

OLOwXNC.jpg

....as you can see, weathering does soften it somewhat.....but I do agree some camo' was applied with a broom or rag's, especially winter camo'.....but from photo's, it seems on most occasions the tankers took some time........as they say, combat is 95% boredom, and 5% absolute terror. I think to fill the 95% they kept themselves busy.....before I forget....the other bonus with very thin paint is you can at the outset; literally draw the final shape, without leaving a raised edge....which you then fill in with the 4+ coats of thinned paint.

KKSWcWB.jpg

Hope s this helps somewhat..cheers

Simon.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hope s this helps somewhat..cheers

Thanks for the info. I think the problem on my Tiger was that the base coat was an old tin of Humbrol enamel (93) and it dried with a bit of a sheen rather than the matt finish I thought it would be. The rotbraun was Humbrol acrylic quite heavily thinned (to avoid the "step" in the paint). The edges of the acrylic bled across the base coat in places. My KT (Revell Tiger II) done completely with acrylics did not suffer this problem. Worth considering replacing my Humbrol colours with Vallejo as they run out - problem is I've got loads of Humbrol to use up.........................

2 hours ago, echen said:

Thanks for the info. I think the problem on my Tiger was that the base coat was an old tin of Humbrol enamel (93) and it dried with a bit of a sheen rather than the matt finish I thought it would be. The rotbraun was Humbrol acrylic quite heavily thinned (to avoid the "step" in the paint). The edges of the acrylic bled across the base coat in places. My KT (Revell Tiger II) done completely with acrylics did not suffer this problem. Worth considering replacing my Humbrol colours with Vallejo as they run out - problem is I've got loads of Humbrol to use up.........................

@echen you can have these to start you on your way if you would like...there all AK acrylic all have small stainless mixing balls inside and only a few have been used or opened....still lots of life in them yet

First group are all German WW2 Colours..... middle pile are U.S uniform colours and last group is the U.S olive drab set, i have switched over to MIG AMMO so these are not being used.

If you can wait till the middle of the week I will post to you ...send me a PM with your address .....do you have an airbrush? if not can sort you one of those too and a compressor line ....dont have a spare compressor though so you will need to buy one . ;)

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

you can have these to start you on your way if you would like

Thank you for this. Tiny problem. I don't know how to PM..... :sad:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, echen said:

Thank you for this. Tiny problem. I don't know how to PM..... :sad:

put the pointer over my name and you will see a box pop up at the bottom of the box it says message click on that ...presto ;)

Sent you a message just reply to that mate

• Thanks 1