Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Sorry, I'm not following. I can't see a single thing there not to be happy about. Wonderful detail, superb paint and a unique take on the early Tiger. Plus it's got 502nd's mammoths on, that's always a bonus :) The only thing I'm waiting for is whatever is sticking out of that turret bin to keep the lid open.

Andy

Thanks Andy.....the track cable and a tarp will be there plus the starter handle and a jerry can will fill the box , was planning on having the cable end poking out of the box and an oily rag or some such as if somebody was rooting around and just threw the hatch down ........ 

• Like 3

That Tiger looks damn good. I really like how it looks.

I've done the same exact Tiger almost ten years ago but made it all gray. With the winter wash pattern it looks way cooler.

• Thanks 1

Had another look at the pics earlier, you've really done a great job on it..(and the painting / weathering in a swift and timely manner too !! ) :)

...if you do your 'snow' thing successfully it will look awesome, and very much appropriate to the original period photos..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

(and the painting / weathering in a swift and timely manner too !!

It's far from finished mate ....spent another 6 hours on it today ......pics later if i can find the energy B)

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

It's far from finished mate ....spent another 6 hours on it today ......pics later if i can find the energy B)

Not finished for sure, but very good progress in a short time! ...It was all plastic and brassy bits the other day!

I do like that camo scheme, pretty much unique to that one tank I'd assume..

• Thanks 1

Seriously, a stunner...that's one of the nicest Tigs around

Funnily enough I particularly like the welded joins where the extended exhaust pipes have been gashed on, very nice detail, even the discolouration where the steel has got hot along the welds... 👍

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2021 at 18:59, M3talpig said:

but honestly.........well..............i just don't know what to think about this:unsure:

A couple of days ago he was having an emotional breakdown and sounded like the paint stripper was coming out to play, :rofl: And now all of sudden it's done!! What is this trickery...

And very very nice it is indeed good Sir, a very beautiful rendition of an early Tiger 1 playing in the snow, and once you put it on a base with some snow, that will put the snow camo job into context, and then it will be perfect :)

Matt

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

A couple of days ago he was having an emotional breakdown and sounded like the paint stripper was coming out to play, :rofl: And now all of sudden it's done!! What is this trickery...

And very very nice it is indeed good Sir, a very beautiful rendition of an early Tiger 1 playing in the snow, and once you put it on a base with some snow, that will put the snow camo job into context, and then it will be perfect :)

Matt

Your right Matt...i did get a bit down with it ...it wasn't so much the build it was i think the fact that i have never done a white wash build before....and with the grey it's such a contrast that it almost looked like a black and white photo......with the last of the weathering filters and mud and dust it all started to jell ........ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Your right Matt...i did get a bit down with it ...it wasn't so much the build it was i think the fact that i have never done a white wash build before....and with the grey it's such a contrast that it almost looked like a black and white photo......with the last of the weathering filters and mud and dust it all started to jell ........

Well, in my humble opinion (and others will disagree on this point) a snow camo job should always be placed on a base with snow, simply to put the model into context, and you will find that when you put it on a base with snow, the whole thing will pop (look fantastic) and put a huge smile on your face, because the stark harshness of the white camo will now make sense, because it's in context, if that makes sense.

I was gonna say that days ago, but thought it best to just keep my head down, lol

Don't rush the base and the snow, take your time, make it all blend together, and you'll have a frickin stunner of a model (It's stunning now, it'll be even more stunning, you know what I mean ;))

Matt

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Apart from the base, figure and some of the stowage ....... i think i'ma gonna call this un done.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Absolutely stunning as already said put it in a snowy setting and it will really come to life!

Great build, superb attention to details and an outstanding paint job bar well and truly raised

Stay safe              Roger

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning Steve, winter camo is well and truly nailed.  I'm up to my armpits in StuGs at the mo or I would be finishing off my Tigers and perhaps starting that TiKi kit.  My own fault, I haven't built a StuG for 45 years now I'm building 4. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm up to my armpits in StuGs at the mo or I would be finishing off my Tigers and perhaps starting that TiKi kit.  My own fault, I haven't built a StuG for 45 years now I'm building 4. 

Well your just playin catch up mate ........ one stug for every 11.25 years ...i would say that's very reasonable :rofl:

18 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Top notch work indeed matey, all of it -  just stunning ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan...comin from you that really means a lot

13 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Dunno if you've noticed yet, but some kids must've come along and chalked a funny lookin' lame rhino thing on the back of yer motor....just sayin'.....

Bloody heathen :D

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Absolutely stunning as already said put it in a snowy setting and it will really come to life!

Great build, superb attention to details and an outstanding paint job bar well and truly raised

Stay safe              Roger

As always thank you Roger

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Don't rush the base and the snow, take your time, make it all blend together, and you'll have a frickin stunner of a model (It's stunning now, it'll be even more stunning, you know what I mean ;))

Just ordered a figure and i  will be cutting the basic base today ...... will take a few days of sitting and staring at it before i get a feel for what i want.....:D 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well your just playin catch up mate ........ one stug for every 11.25 years ...i would say that's very reasonable :rofl:

You know what it's like, you buy a couple of photo books, check the stash, buy some more AM and a kit or 2 and then you are faced with the decision which one do you build...and the answer is of course..... build them all,  Rude not to. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aber early barrel turned up last week so i have the correct barrel :thumbsup:

I must add though I had issues getting the muzzle brake soldered up, it was a right swine 

to close the front and back ends, it was almost like they hadn't removed enough material for it to fit properly? 

I have a feeling that the first part of the brake was damaged at the time of manufacture as it still quite doesn't look right ?

P1090657

P1090658

P1090656

And the rest of the grills and other details added to the rear.

P1090662

P1090660

Enjoy 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I must add though I had issues getting the muzzle brake soldered up, it was a right swine 

to close the front and back ends, it was almost like they hadn't removed enough material for it to fit properly? 

I have a feeling that the first part of the brake was damaged at the time of manufacture as it still quite doesn't look right ?

Well it was an issue for me too..... (forgetting the rest of the problems i had) must be a manufacturing problem with this type of muzzle brake....still all looks good now bud......

Never did get a reply from Aber even when i sent pics. Not good customer care...as i said i will be using RB's next time and Voyager for my etch in future.........even if they sent a mail saying sorry ...that would have been nice but just nothing screams that they don't give a s#*%......shame but lesson learned they won't be getting my money any more 

• Like 3

That's 2 dodgy muzzles from them then...

tbh no1 Pig, I wouldn't let it go at that, I'd be onto them again as Mr Angry with a "what you going to do about my damaged goods then.."  Do the sellers have a uk phone no ?..it's a sale of goods act job,  faulty item or "not fit for purpose" I wouldn't be letting them off the hook meself... 😬

It'd be the seller I'd be persuing, it's them you have the "contract of sale" with...they are responsible for the goods they sell even if they don't manufacture them..

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

It'd be the seller I'd be persuing,

I hear you but here's the thing ...as you say it was a manufacturing fault not the sellers fault...and i have had nothing but good experiences with them so don't want to make it there problem......and the way the barrel was packed there was no way the seller would have been able to see the problem....hell i didn't know until i unpacked it myself.......no if Aber won't respond it's their loss. I fixed the problems and time to move on ......but they have lost a good customer and if they treat all their customers with the same disdain then they won't be around for very much longer...  

• Like 1