Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

6 hours ago, aurelien wolff said:

why is the tiger I F01 so often interpretated as red?

both academy and Rye field interpretated it that way ,to me the doesn't really seem that red and regarding the F13 why is it rarely see red when the veteran who photographed the tank said it was

Could be red oxide primer on parts. 

Hard to say from B&W pix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

The second photo the numerals do look like a slightly different "colour". It's not that obvious but the greyscale seems a bit darker to the surrounds to me anyway.

According to my famous Tiger reference book the numerals were definitely red and white 😉👍

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Andy J said:

According to my famous Tiger reference book the numerals were definitely red and white 😉👍

Ahhhh the infamous Tiger reference book, is there anything it doesn't cover!

What does it say about the likelihood of Telford 2021 going ahead, and are goats waterproof? 🤔😉

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

and are goats waterproof?

Goats are indeed water resistant....although i believe there is two or three openings around the top of them that may let in water if submerged for extended periods

A fourth hole may become relaxed if the aforementioned holes do become waterlogged :D

23 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

What does it say about the likelihood of Telford 2021 going ahead

I wouldn't get your hopes up.....and if it does you will probably have to apply for a health passport/ I.D card 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

What does it say about the likelihood of Telford 2021 going ahead, and are goats waterproof? 🤔😉

About as much chance as The Jam reforming, for a world tour...

As for Goats... I'm sure Andy has a reference book, that covers that :D

• Haha 4

so ,I looked at the hull of my F04 and I'll have to wash it ,then sand the academy logo under it .Not sure if I can fix the suspension ,I'll may be like david goodenough "oh ça vas! c'est du what if ,je peux le présenter comme je veux"

spacer.png

spacer.png

The weird stuff inside the hull is me being dumb and putting white spirit inside it (don't ask me why I did it ,I don't know)

spacer.png

PS: I'm french and David is this guy

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Ahhhh the infamous Tiger reference book, is there anything it doesn't cover!

So Darryl having consulted the armour bible I've come across some information regarding the "Miracle Of Goat Hill " circa 1943. It seems the allies were playing sneaky tricks on the German tank battalions by re positioning road signs and sending certain Tigers in the wrong direction. Tiger 426 was one of the tanks that was actually directed into a mine field. The Tiger struck a mine which damaged the tracks and left the crew stranded with no hope of repairing the damage without some serious help. The Commander noticed a farmer in a field and asked for help and the farmer duly obliged by sending over his own battalion of goats led by "William " otherwise known as Billy. By harnessing the extra power the crew were able to repair the damage and set off for the front line. After the war William aka Billy was awarded the iron bell 🔔 for his help with the war effort however this bell was unique as the "Clacker " was coated in zimmerit giving William a bell that made a special sound. Unfortunately William was knocked down by the No 6 bus near the farm in Bullshitezen and was buried along with his special bell in a secret location. As for Telford......nope according to my book it ain't happening 🙂👍

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Always me 🙄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So Darryl having consulted the armour bible I've come across some information regarding the "Miracle Of Goat Hill " circa 1943. It seems the allies were playing sneaky tricks on the German tank battalions by re positioning road signs and sending certain Tigers in the wrong direction. Tiger 426 was one of the tanks that was actually directed into a mine field. The Tiger struck a mine which damaged the tracks and left the crew stranded with no hope of repairing the damage without some serious help. The Commander noticed a farmer in a field and asked for help and the farmer duly obliged by sending over his own battalion of goats led by "William " otherwise known as Billy. By harnessing the extra power the crew were able to repair the damage and set off for the front line. After the war William aka Billy was awarded the iron bell 🔔 for his help with the war effort however this bell was unique as the "Clacker " was coated in zimmerit giving William a bell that made a special sound. Unfortunately William was knocked down by the No 6 bus near the farm in Bullshitezen and was buried along with his special bell in a secret location. As for Telford......nope according to my book it ain't happening 🙂👍

Oh good i came back just in time for one of Andy's riveting stories  :suicide:

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Oh good i came back just in time for one of Andy's riveting stories  :suicide:

I knew I'd get ya mate.....misson accomplished 😌 👍....it's well known you have a soft spot for my yarns 😉

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Goats are indeed water resistant....although i believe there is two or three openings around the top of them that may let in water if submerged for extended periods

A fourth hole may become relaxed if the aforementioned holes do become waterlogged :D

And here speaks the voice of experience! 😂

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Andy's Tiger book covers everything from what I can tell!

Anyway it's looking as if the Nationals in Vegas are going ahead so we might get Telford....one year..

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

It's been a long time time since we've been privileged to behold one of Andy's stories,  thank the lord for small mercies! 🤔 😉

Andys infamous Tiger reference book appeared to cover so many wide and varied topics I just thought...

The topic came up yesterday and I was surprised to hear someone categorically state goats weren't water proof, who'd a believed it!

On top of which "waterproofing goats" isn't really desirable in ones search history..

Almost as bad as searching how to dispense with a male hen...wringing in this  context definitely starts with "W"!

Apart from a tethered goat was sometimes used as a lure for Tigers I've no idea where this topic is heading btw!

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Tis good to be back :D

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Tis good to have you back 🙂👍

Jeez fellas get a room!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

And here speaks the voice of experience! 😂

Andy's Tiger book covers everything from what I can tell!

Anyway it's looking as if the Nationals in Vegas are going ahead so we might get Telford....one year..

It's been a long time time since we've been privileged to behold one of Andy's stories,  thank the lord for small mercies! 🤔 😉

Andys infamous Tiger reference book appeared to cover so many wide and varied topics I just thought...

The topic came up yesterday and I was surprised to hear someone categorically state goats weren't water proof, who'd a believed it!

On top of which "waterproofing goats" isn't really desirable in ones search history..

Almost as bad as searching how to dispense with a male hen...wringing in this  context definitely starts with "W"!

Apart from a tethered goat was sometimes used as a lure for Tigers I've no idea where this topic is heading btw!

Jeez fellas get a room!

There are 4 seats at the table we just need Raggerty back now and everything will be fine and dandy.....I'll even chuck a plate full of cookies in the middle for good measure....and I'm sure none of you can wait for my next story 🙂🤔👍

spacer.png

Raggerty 😉👍

Edited by Andy J
spelling
  • Haha 2

Hi M3talpig,
Good to see you back
2v2HMKK3vx6eHcV.jpg

And thank you for posting the compilation of 503/123 pictures - much appreciated
Unfortunately the link seems to be down.

Been a tough couple of weeks lately, and thoughts are not very focused.

Anyway, a comparsion of dark yellow paints for you...

2v2HMKbzox6eHcV.jpg

same set but in different light:
2v2HMKK3vx5eHcV.jpg

From left to right:
The Tamiya "new" Dark Yellow II XF-88
The Vallejo primer "Dunkelgelb 7028"
The Tamiya "old" Dark Yellow XF-60

Hannats Xtracrylix "Dunkelgelb" XA1805

Closest to RAL 8000 is the Vallejo (#2 from left) in my eyes.

Now... GT coming up ;)

Stay safe, it ain't over yet.

Zack

• Like 5

On 12/02/2021 at 16:26, Zack said:

And thank you for posting the compilation of 503/123 pictures - much appreciated
Unfortunately the link seems to be down.

Unfortunately i ran out of space with my flickr account so had to clean up for some free space ........that's why i have not been posting pics of the Tiger im doing now...... gonna finish the build and photo it once done and then do another shoot once all the painting is finished .....but if you like i can put all the pics i have of 123 and send them to you in a folder. Let me know mate  

• Thanks 1