Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

4 hours ago, A.R.1989 said:

Thanks for being so welcoming and I appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. 

That is a superb looking Tiger Alex, you certainly have a good technique for weathering, one comment I'd like to make, same thing Andy did with his Tiger, the tow cables should be a dark colour, they look too silver and shiny, same thing with the m.g. I was an armourer in the RAF and gun barrels are painted matt black to dissipate heat and not reflect light.  On the battlefield anything reflective is avoided.  Here is good photo that shows what I mean. :winkgrin:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) Nr. 6

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That is a superb looking Tiger Alex, you certainly have a good technique for weathering, one comment I'd like to make, same thing Andy did with his Tiger, the tow cables should be a dark colour, they look too silver and shiny, same thing with the m.g. I was an armourer in the RAF and gun barrels are painted matt black to dissipate heat and not reflect light.  On the battlefield anything reflective is avoided.  Here is good photo that shows what I mean. :winkgrin:

Yes indeed Bob and if you look at the tow cable on the Pershing I've just finished there isn't an ounce of silver to be seen...see I do listen....sometimes 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks Bob, 

I love that you’ve used the photo of the same company of Tigers I used for inspiration for my tiger. It may be the light shining on the cables as I use dark German grey for cables to deliberately dull them down. What would you recommend to dull them down a bit more? I agree with the MG though definetly needs dulling down. 

any recommendations from anyone on an early tiger? I’ve seen a debate has been going on over the quality of the new border model release but couldn’t see exactly what the issues were? 

thanks 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

@Retired Bob Bob was it you that said you had Dragon kit 6252 initial Tiger....if so bud could you take a photo of part... K6.... for me as close up as you can and from above side and front..........thanks in advance ....trying to figure out what this part was actually used for. 

Here is part K6, it goes on they go on the outer edge of the upper hull, either side of the turret.  They look like clamps for a tow cable, even though there isn't any tow cables for this tank.

I tried to get a ruler behind the pieces to show their size but it made it more difficult to see, they are 3mm wide, 1.5mm high and 1mm thick. With a pin through but why it's T shaped? :shrug:

IMG_1495

Does that help? or do you need a photo from a different angle?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, A.R.1989 said:

I love that you’ve used the photo of the same company of Tigers I used for inspiration for my tiger. It may be the light shining on the cables as I use dark German grey for cables to deliberately dull them down. What would you recommend to dull them down a bit more? I agree with the MG though definetly needs dulling down. 

Apart from a wash of matt black to really dull them down, tow cables are a real pain, if you use the metal wire that Dragon supplies in some of their kits it's very springy and difficult to clamp down onto the tank, plastic cables there is a seam to remove which is difficult without ruining the twisted wire effect, then there is soft copper, which is easy to bend and position but awkward to paint.  It would be so much easier if they just rolled them up and put them in a storage bin. :nod:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, A.R.1989 said:

any recommendations from anyone on an early tiger? I’ve seen a debate has been going on over the quality of the new border model release but couldn’t see exactly what the issues were? 

I was looking at getting the new Border model of an early production Tiger until I heard the debate over it's problems, not sure what the problem is as I don't do facebook but I was on the Hannants site later that day and they had taken in stock of the Dragon early production Tiger, "Tiki" at £60.  So I ordered one that arrived yesterday.  I would say there are enough options in the kit for any early Tiger, not just "Tiki" as you can see from all the blue blocked bits that are not needed for that build.  The only downside is the DS tracks, as I don't like them, here's the cover of the plans:

IMG_1496

p.s. I'm not on commission from Hannants, it's the only place I've seen one on sale.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Anyone got a Dragon Mid that they want to swap for a late? I have the first release boxing 6253 will all the bits that they skimped on with the later boxing’s, they are going for good coin on the second had market ;)

Sorry, that is one Tiger I haven't got, apart from the Tamiya offering which is well below the quality of the Dragon kits.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I was looking at getting the new Border model of an early production Tiger until I heard the debate over it's problems, not sure what the problem is as I don't do facebook but I was on the Hannants site later that day and they had taken in stock of the Dragon early production Tiger, "Tiki" at £60.  So I ordered one that arrived yesterday.  I would say there are enough options in the kit for any early Tiger, not just "Tiki" as you can see from all the blue blocked bits that are not needed for that build.  The only downside is the DS tracks, as I don't like them, here's the cover of the plans:

IMG_1496

p.s. I'm not on commission from Hannants, it's the only place I've seen one on sale.

Thanks. 

I’ve built a few tigers and I can say that I really do like the dragon boxings. My mid is the dragon 6624 purely for the zimmerit.  But for ease of construction, price and quality the RFM give the dragon kits a run for their money. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Here is part K6, it goes on they go on the outer edge of the upper hull, either side of the turret.  They look like clamps for a tow cable, even though there isn't any tow cables for this tank.

I tried to get a ruler behind the pieces to show their size but it made it more difficult to see, they are 3mm wide, 1.5mm high and 1mm thick. With a pin through but why it's T shaped?

Bob thanks so much....i do have photos but that area of the vehicle is not clear and the Tankpower references i was using to get some of the position data on what tools were used and were are not completely accurate.....thankyou thankyou thankyou............i'm hoping that Dragon had some references that i wouldn't be in a position to see.

25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

"Tiki" at £60

A strange subject ....the Dragon kit is twice and a bit the price of the Tamiya offering but has probably twice the detail.......but buying the Tamiya you have enough to invest in a really good etch kit and with a little effort to do the missing weld seams they somewhat equal out in the end.....i would say Dragon set the prices just right on there kits..... given that they build straight from the box as an accurate representation for the modeller with a life and for people like me that don't have a life and can invest the time Tamiya is perfect for the challenge....doesn't stop me getting very jealous indeed when i see people that have them though :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A.R.1989 said:

Morning all, 

above are the photos of my WIP Mid Tiger from SPzAbt 506. The Tiger no.7 is purely fictional as no photos exist of the 7th tiger from the first company so I have used some artistic licence. The weathering/mud still needs to be finished as it’s going into a diorama. It will be fairly beaten up as the regiment changed their mid tigers for late tigers with steel wheels in the spring of 44 following a full winters fighting in the Ukraine.

Beautiful job on that Tiger lovely detail weathering is spot on and the colour pallet is spot on .......fantastic.

• Thanks 1

I keep noticing what looks like large "posidrive" screw heads adjacent to the cooling vents and various other places on Tiger rear decks. Anyone know what they're for? My Revell Tiger has got 5 on the rear deck and they're 2mm across at 1/72 (full size about 14cm) - just curious.

From a weathering point of view, if I ever get that far, there might be the need to depict spillage if they're filler caps or something like that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, echen said:

keep noticing what looks like large "posidrive" screw heads adjacent to the cooling vents and various other places on Tiger rear decks.

They are the fuel filler caps and one i think is the coolant filler cap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, echen said:

I keep noticing what looks like large "posidrive" screw heads adjacent to the cooling vents and various other places on Tiger rear decks. Anyone know what they're for? My Revell Tiger has got 5 on the rear deck and they're 2mm across at 1/72 (full size about 14cm) - just curious.

From a weathering point of view, if I ever get that far, there might be the need to depict spillage if they're filler caps or something like that.

The front ones are for fuel and the rear are for coolant. If you look at my tiger I’ve added white oil paint to the rear ones to simulate limescale and fuel stain to the front ones. 

hope that helps

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A.R.1989 said:

Thanks Bob, 

thanks 

Hi, for cables I'll paint matt black once dry a wash, in this instance with mig rust, then a light wipe over with Mig gunmetal pigment.

spacer.png

As for Tigers, I've the RFM early one on the go at present, it's really good, not quite Dragon but its significantly cheaper and has plenty of detail. Go for a new one as RFM have rectified some of the issues that the kits initial release had.

Atb and welcome abored!

Darryl 

• Like 7

On 25/01/2021 at 21:47, Saeran said:

Which I hadn't read this part of the thread... one on the way to me too 🙄

My Challenger turned up today and on first glance looks like a fantastic kit. One Salisbury Plain special coming up. In three months.😀

And veering back on topic, I follow a similar way to Darryl's regarding cables, either dark track colour with dark graphite powder or Humbrol Metalcote gun metal.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

My Challenger turned up today and on first glance looks like a fantastic kit. One Salisbury Plain special coming up. In three months.😀

And veering back on topic, I follow a similar way to Darryl's regarding cables, either dark track colour with dark graphite powder or Humbrol Metalcote gun metal.

I paint mine pure silver....just to wind Bob up 😉👍

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Andy J said:

there isn't an ounce of silver to be seen...see I do listen....sometimes 😉👍

I wish that I could get the wife to listen....anytime! :nod:

10 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I paint mine pure silver....just to wind Bob up 😉👍

That's more like the wife....but , you cannot wind me up, I'm battery powered. :mental:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Haha 6

On 2021-01-26 at 11:07 AM, echen said:

Problem is, I then can't wait to build it so I start it irrespective of everything else on the bench. Got 28 on the go at various stages of completion at present.

Double that 🥃

• Haha 3

On 2021-01-26 at 9:13 PM, Dads203 said:

I’m getting close on the M10 now so I’m starting to think about my entry on this fantastic unofficial group build, now I’m wanting to have a crack at a mid version  but don’t have one in the stash. 

Anyone got a Dragon Mid that they want to swap for a late? I have the first release boxing 6253 will all the bits that they skimped on with the later boxing’s, they are going for good coin on the second had market ;)

Yo Dads203,

Think I have one or two, let me confirm #'s. 

6253 is also in the stash, go Ebay and get the $$$ or consider this thread for a 👍

Trying to reduce stash, if suitable only postage & any Brexit (you guys are "overseas" now) add-ons would need to be covered.

Will get back shortly. 

//Z

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:05 PM, Retired Bob said:

I was an armourer in the RAF and gun barrels are painted matt black to dissipate heat and not reflect light.

Hi Bob, Thanks for the info re gun barrels. Should gunmetal colour be avoided and matt/gloss/satin black used instead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Hi Bob, Thanks for the info re gun barrels. Should gunmetal colour be avoided and matt/gloss/satin black used instead?

I would avoid gunmetal as it looks too silvery, after cleaning with with gun oil they have at most a black satin sheen.  The best paint to give an accurate gun barrel  finish is Mr Surfacer black 1500, it also sticks better if you are using brass/metal gun barrels.  So unless you are making figures of General Patton with his chromed Colt pistols or Saddam Hussain with a gold plated AK47 I would use Mr Surfacer. :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit quiet on the thread so with all my chores around the house done I thought I would post a picture of both my Tigers and how the painting is going.  The s.Ab.505 Tiger at the back has been freehanded using my H&S  Evolution and Tamiya paints, base is XF-60 dark yellow with XF-79 brown stripes, the XF-3 yellow band around the base of the main gun is covered with masking tape.  The nearer one with Dragon zimmerit will be s.Ab.507, their Tigers appear very dark in photos so I have oversprayed the XF-60 dark yellow with large areas of XF-79 brown and XF-89 green.  Still lots to do but with only just over a week to the start of the Pzr III GB I want to get as far along as possible.  Just resisting starting either of my other Tiger kits. :fight:

IMG_1497

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A bit quiet on the thread so with all my chores around the house done I thought I would post a picture of both my Tigers and how the painting is going.  The s.Ab.505 Tiger at the back has been freehanded using my H&S  Evolution and Tamiya paints, base is XF-60 dark yellow with XF-79 brown stripes, the XF-3 yellow band around the base of the main gun is covered with masking tape.  The nearer one with Dragon zimmerit will be s.Ab.507, their Tigers appear very dark in photos so I have oversprayed the XF-60 dark yellow with large areas of XF-79 brown and XF-89 green.  Still lots to do but with only just over a week to the start of the Pzr III GB I want to get as far along as possible.  Just resisting starting either of my other Tiger kits. :fight:

They look the mutz nutz mate ...coming along very nicely indeed :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

IMG_1497

Very nice work Bob they look excellent to me 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I thought I would post a picture of both my Tigers and how the painting is going.

The painting looks as if it is going very well. I'm aiming at a 505 Tiger with my Revell 1/72 offering. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1