Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

1 minute ago, echen said:

Ever tried a gloss coat when this happens? You can re-matt afterwards.  Have a gander at the above thread. It might help if it happens again. 

I did try that, but it didn't help that the Cartograph decals (it was a P-51) had silvered like a cyberman, I tried various repairs before I "lost it" :angry:

• Sad 5

So the final update for the Tiger I've gone as far as I think is necessary and I'm happy with the results. Here's a couple of pics I will post more in the rfi section later on 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I'm happy with the results

If I got results like this I'd be a lot more than happy. Tremendous work, top to bottom and end to end. Pictured with diorama scenery as well made as the Tiger I think the viewer would be hard pressed to not think it's a real Tiger!👏 👏 👏

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, echen said:

If I got results like this I'd be a lot more than happy. Tremendous work, top to bottom and end to end. Pictured with diorama scenery as well made as the Tiger I think the viewer would be hard pressed to not think it's a real Tiger!👏 👏 👏

Thanks for the kind comments i will post better pics in the rfi against a more suitable background 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So the final update for the Tiger I've gone as far as I think is necessary and I'm happy with the results. Here's a couple of pics I will post more in the rfi section later on 

Is just me?  I get "spacer.png" and when I try to open it I get a blank page with the message that the connection is not secure. :unsure:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Is just me?  I get "spacer.png" and when I try to open it I get a blank page with the message that the connection is not secure. :unsure:

Unfortunately I think it's just you Bob as no one else has mentioned any problems 🙄

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry been out and about for a week or so.
You have managed so many technics with great skills and shown that in those pictures Mr. Andy.
I am not really the right person to be judging other modeller's work but please keep them pictures coming, they are a great inspiration!

The Feifel hoses are metal mesh and painted in the same color as the wagon itself.
Being metal mesh they will obviously collect a lot of dirt and grime.
Per unit, one hose is pulling air and the and the other one is blowing, the cans are cyclone type filters (heavier particles fall to the bottom).
Wanted to post this when I saw you left them off initially but was downed or a bit last week, sry.

Very Best Regards!
Zack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Nice one Andy. You nailed those paint effects. A special mention to the rusty exhaust shields and the mud and dirt.👍

Thanks Stef though there are now much better pics in the rfi section 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zack said:

Sorry been out and about for a week or so.
You have managed so many technics with great skills and shown that in those pictures Mr. Andy.
I am not really the right person to be judging other modeller's work but please keep them pictures coming, they are a great inspiration!

The Feifel hoses are metal mesh and painted in the same color as the wagon itself.
Being metal mesh they will obviously collect a lot of dirt and grime.
Per unit, one hose is pulling air and the and the other one is blowing, the cans are cyclone type filters (heavier particles fall to the bottom).
Wanted to post this when I saw you left them off initially but was downed or a bit last week, sry.

Very Best Regards!
Zack

Thanks for the comment Zack much appreciated, I decided to dirty the hoses so as to keep everything looking nice and worn in line with the rest of the build 🙂👍

On 1/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, M3talpig said:

Very kind words Stef.................. my builds are definitely getting better but still need to work on the cleanliness ...there are still areas which leave little to be desired

HHHMMMM the bench ain't lookin to pretty at the moment bud

spacer.png 

Looks as if 5 S  are in practice here, ;) are you driving a Toyota by any chance 🍸

2v2Hrjhpzx6eHcV.jpg Alfa Romeo 🍷...

//Z

• Haha 2

Hi guys,
Sorry but I do need your help at this stage.

Two completely different issues.

No.1. With the Academy full and Zvezda turret interiors I can use the kits as a donors for many purposes, like opening up the engine hatch:
2v2H5fHPMx6eHcV.jpg

I am already using the turret basket to show commanders and loaders hatches open.
2v2H5fHPMx6eHbV.jpg

I could also use the rest in this kit but my option would be to use them for an open drivers hatch, radio guys hatch ... bladibla... basically saving bits for multiple kits/options.
So, be selective or throw it all in, I will take your advice;)

Second and more important question:
I will leave the RAL references out, just saying that Tiger1.info pretty much drop's Panzer Grey out.
Any suggestions?
2v2H5fHkzx6eHcV.jpg
And as usual -  I am happy find myself corrected.

//Z

• Like 2

Funny that...
seems when the 123 color question comes up everyone goes ZIP?
Or is just that you lot are having a 2 day party in celebrations of the Inauguration of the 46'st President :)
If so - keep partying - I will ;)  🍸

Just asking...

Stay safe, and happy modelling!
//Z

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 17:22, Andy J said:

Unfortunately I think it's just you Bob as no one else has mentioned any problems 🙄

Well I'm not sure if I managed to changed my computers settings or what but on signing in today I can see your photos. :thumbsup:

Now I must say you have  done a superb job on the rusty exhaust covers, fantastic work with the rusty spots and faded numbers, I really like the caked dust on the tracks and wheels.......BUT..

am I the only one seeing silver tow cables, track cable and m/g???  Andy, I'm being constructive here, but there is no way you'd want shiny silver items glinting on the battlefield.  Looking at real photos these items are usually black or almost black, (except when field applied camouflage/whitewash was applied) I would say dry brush them to accentuate the detail but that's not in fashion these days, (again sorry Andy, why o' why am I left to be the hatchet guy)  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Zack said:

Funny that...

From what I've read while looking for colours for my own build I'd say that was one of the tropical painted Tigers from Kharkhov/Kursk. It's too light to be Panzer Grey, too uniform to be in the new three colour paints and it's too warm to be whitewashed which doesn't leave many options. I'd say the darker patches are either dirt or imperfections in a 70 something year old picture rather than a second colour :) 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Well I'm not sure if I managed to changed my computers settings or what but on signing in today I can see your photos. :thumbsup:

Now I must say you have  done a superb job on the rusty exhaust covers, fantastic work with the rusty spots and faded numbers, I really like the caked dust on the tracks and wheels.......BUT..

am I the only one seeing silver tow cables, track cable and m/g???  Andy, I'm being constructive here, but there is no way you'd want shiny silver items glinting on the battlefield.  Looking at real photos these items are usually black or almost black, (except when field applied camouflage/whitewash was applied) I would say dry brush them to accentuate the detail but that's not in fashion these days, (again sorry Andy, why o' why am I left to be the hatchet guy)  :shrug:

No problem Bob your not the only one to notice Darryl pointed out this issue to me on the rfi and to be fair it's easy enough to rectify 🙂👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

and it's too warm to be whitewashed 

Talking of whitewash, has the barrel got remnants of whitewash on it? or is that just my eyes playing tricks on me? it looks very patchy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zack said:

Funny that...
Or is just that you lot are having a 2 day party in celebrations of the Inauguration of the 46'st President :)
If so - keep partying - I will ;)  🍸

Just asking...

Stay safe, and happy modelling!
//Z

Sorry Zack, wish I could help. If I knew I'd say but anything from here would be complete guess work.

If pushed I'd probably agree with Andy @Foxbatand go with the dark yellow camo.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Talking of whitewash, has the barrel got remnants of whitewash on it? or is that just my eyes playing tricks on me? it looks very patchy?

It does look very patchy and the patches are very pale in both pictures but... there are a couple of crewmen in shirtsleeves and at least one in both pictures bare chested so it would seem a little late in the year for any winter camo to still be showing. The plants in the foreground are in flower too so any snow was long gone. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Andy

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Andy J said:

No problem Bob your not the only one to notice Darryl pointed out this issue to me on the rfi and to be fair it's easy enough to rectify 🙂👍

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm) (Sd.Kfz. 181) Ausf. E (Nr. F01)

The thin cable attached to the hull side was for pulling the track into position over the idler and wheels and onto the sprocket, as you can see it's very dark coloured, as are the spare track links, they have the track pins fitted. :winkgrin:

28 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It's always difficult to guess the colour from a b&w  photo, I would have gone with a dirty, stained grey? perhaps the barrel has got dust built up, blown back by the muzzle brake on firing? :shrug:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's always difficult to guess the colour from a b&w photo

I very much agree yes, and tend to agree with what Foxbat said regarding the colour, but the barrel is a puzzle because the patches are jagged and irregular in shape, also something strange on the hull side above the mudguards (above the hole), It's really hard to tell what's going on to be honest, as Foxbat said, it's pure speculation.

Matt

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, Zack said:

Hi guys,
Sorry but I do need your help at this stage.

Two completely different issues.

No.1. With the Academy full and Zvezda turret interiors I can use the kits as a donors for many purposes, like opening up the engine hatch:
2v2H5fHPMx6eHcV.jpg

I am already using the turret basket to show commanders and loaders hatches open.
2v2H5fHPMx6eHbV.jpg

I could also use the rest in this kit but my option would be to use them for an open drivers hatch, radio guys hatch ... bladibla... basically saving bits for multiple kits/options.
So, be selective or throw it all in, I will take your advice;)

Second and more important question:
I will leave the RAL references out, just saying that Tiger1.info pretty much drop's Panzer Grey out.
Any suggestions?
2v2H5fHkzx6eHcV.jpg
And as usual -  I am happy find myself corrected.

//Z

It’s definitely not “Panzer Grey” and the differing tones are too much for a Tropen pattern. 

I know this isn’t a DR vehicle, but... By Kursk the Das Reich Tigers that fought at Kharkov had already been re-painted in dark yellow, with a green/brown camo. 

So... I’m going to say that your 123 is Dark Yellow with a green/brown overspray. 

Lee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1