Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

So mentioned initially as a bit of a joke me and Andy realised that there was a few of us that were looking to do a Tiger 1 project ...the idea was floated to do GB but realising that the earliest it would happen would be a year or more away we all thought a superthread might be the way to go.

This thread will have several builds all under one roof....all Tiger 1's and although a group build it has no time limit and no rules other than it must be a Tiger 1 related build, it was thought instead of opening several threads all dealing with the same subject this might be fun and we get to share some laughs and share info and pics as we build and not clutter the forum with many builds all the same subject.

Anybody can join in and all posts go here ..........

NOW THEN YOU ORRIBLE LOT ....CARRY ON 

• Like 7

Thanks for opening this up, Steve !!

I have items, which should be arriving tomorrow, and will be included in this thread...

But first, meet Black 2, at Narva. A Mid Production Tiger attached to SPzAbt 502.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

My subject is a very early Tiger of the 502nd heavy tank battalion that took part in the action near workers village #5 not far from Leningrad January 17th 1943..... driving towards village 5 the Tiger took a route of the road and became trapped in a peat bog and was unable to continue...the crew bailed out and continued forward to village 5 only to realise that just a few hours before it had been recaptured by the Russian army so they hightailed it back too German lines.... Tiger 100 was captured intact and in full working condition by Russian forces and later was used as a demonstration vehicle to be inspected by Stalin himself in Moscow. In the first pic you will notice the Pz.Kpfw III in the background ...this will be my subject in the Pz.Kpfw GB in February.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi,
we have been debating this (S33 or not) but this is what I am going for.
Turret number still to be confirmed.
2v2Hdfqtrx6eHcV.jpg

Last time I checked it was Kierow Forest in 43, a unit of DR.

So many reference pictures to go from this.

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Zack said:

Zack

Nice to have you aboard for the ride Zack lookin forward to your build ....... :clap:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Thanks for opening this up, Steve !!

Your welcome bud ....nice subject lookin forward to this one too ......hopefully we can assemble a full battalion on this thread ....whadyathink:D

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Your welcome bud ....nice subject lookin forward to this one too ......hopefully we can assemble a full battalion on this thread ....whadyathink:D

At least a couple of platoons :D

Heres another shot of Black 2. 

Google “Tiger I firing main gun GIF”, and B2 is there. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Not sure on which markings or colour scheme that will grace my build but it will be a mid version. Tamiya late Tiger, Model Kasten mid road wheels, a pinch of PE and a few other bits :frantic:

Going to get the M10 finished before I make a start though chaps. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Zack said:

Hi,
2v2Hdfqtrx6eHcV.jpg

Zack

That front one is S33, but not the same vehicle as at Kursk. 

811 at Kharkov was renumbered 831, and was then renumbered again as S33 for Kursk, and renumbered again to S22 post Kursk. 

8 Kompanie received replacement Tigers from Leibstandarte, post Kursk, and the photo you have there is one of the replacements, numbered as S33. 

Easy way to tell is the loaders turret episcope and the spare track hangers on the turret sides. 

Its it’s a great subject. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I'll look forward to joining in with this. Also have the Panther to finish so I maybe a while. A nice shopping trip to Hannants and a bit of research and I'll figure out what one to do.

Be great havin you join in Stef......see your Tiger 1 come to life.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

My subject is a very early Tiger of the 502nd heavy tank battalion that took part in the action near workers village #5 not far from Leningrad January 17th 1943..... driving towards village 5 the Tiger took a route of the road and became trapped in a peat bog and was unable to continue...the crew bailed out and continued forward to village 5 only to realise that just a few hours before it had been recaptured by the Russian army so they hightailed it back too German lines.... Tiger 100 was captured intact and in full working condition by Russian forces and later was used as a demonstration vehicle to be inspected by Stalin himself in Moscow. In the first pic you will notice the Pz.Kpfw III in the background ...this will be my subject in the Pz.Kpfw GB in February.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

No zimmerit Steve that must be a super early Tiger 1 🤔

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zack said:

Hi,
2v2Hdfqtrx6eHcV.jpg

Zack

Welcome Zack time to join the party 🙂👍

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Oh yeah bring it on 🙂👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Not sure on which markings or colour scheme that will grace my build but it will be a mid version. Tamiya late Tiger, Model Kasten mid road wheels, a pinch of PE and a few other bits :frantic:

Going to get the M10 finished before I make a start though chaps. 

Start whenever you like Dan no pressure here mate, I'm not planning on starting mine till probably after the Pzr III GB.........note i did say probably 😉👍

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I'll look forward to joining in with this. Also have the Panther to finish so I maybe a while. A nice shopping trip to Hannants and a bit of research and I'll figure out what one to do.👍

Brilliant ......nice one Stef no pressure here mate start whenever you like 👍 

• Like 2

Methinks this Tiger thread is gonna be a bit special...........what a smashing idea ......now whose gonna draw first blood ......my dollar's are on the chainsaw kid he's raring to go .......easy Tiger 🙂👍

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Methinks this Tiger thread is gonna be a bit special...........what a smashing idea ......now whose gonna draw first blood ......my dollar's are on the chainsaw kid he's raring to go .......easy Tiger 🙂👍

You just don’t know !!

I had two kits out this afternoon, wondering if I should start one, knowing the new one should be here tomorrow !!

With the figures....

Must cut some wood ;)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Must cut some wood ;)

Mother nature is gonna get ya one day......... 

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

I had two kits out this afternoon, wondering if I should start one, knowing the new one should be here tomorrow !!

With the figures...

Mine should be here in a day or two but all my etch and Fruils arrived Monday....was gonna strip the italeri Tiger that i had started as 142 in Tunisia but i have done too much scratch on that to pull it all apart so i ordered a Tamiya early model ... The Tamiya kits are long in the tooth now but as almost all the details will be scratched on it as long as the basics are good it should work out well.................... i might even do the Tunisian build as well if my enthusiasm lasts......last count i had five Tiger kits and i have plans for them all :clap:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Methinks this Tiger thread is gonna be a bit special...........what a smashing idea ......now whose gonna draw first blood ......my dollar's are on the chainsaw kid he's raring to go .......easy Tiger

Well i will be starting as soon as the kit lands....been itching to do this vehicle since joining this forum :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Brad sorry Steve and to Andy @Andy J for getting this rolling and putting the thread up. Looking forward to starting asap, must at least get the Panther finished and hopefully the M4 first though....

In the meantime must stock up on Tigers, I've two more coming 🤞 RFM early version hopefully next week and another Dragon one. 

spacer.png

So glad I've a couple more coming....just a little annoyed I just found Dragon 6406 lurking at the back of the shelf, what's the Dragon Tiger I have coming.....

The Tamiya mid production one has the Atak zimm set with it and a set of etched fenders with it..

Decisions,  decisions....

If only the RFM tiger was an interior version:

spacer.png

As the majority of what I've got stashed is mid to late think I'll do an early one, Afrika Corp perhaps.

Lots more reference material coming soon I hope so might get a change of heart once I've dived into that lot....

Cheers fellas

Darryl 

• Like 7