Merit 1/48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.1

This started out as a quick build of a simple enough kit........then I started adding things! The SBS resin engine and cowl that took longer than the actual kit to make but I also added some photo etch from the AIMS set intended for the Roden Gladiator. I elected not use the PE rigging though (I basically chickened out) so used EZLine instead.  The Aerocraft decals, which I ended up using, are slightly out of register in places which is a shame and they tended to stick where they landed regardless of how much water etc was on the surface. They looked like they were going to silver too but they settled down nicely in the end.

The kit itself is quite a simple kit and would be ideal for a first time biplane build as the top wing slots perfectly onto the struts without any worries. The surface detail is nice and the cockpit is good enough for what's visible so it gets my thumbs up as an easy project for someone who isn't interested in counting Gloster type rivets. Painted using Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the rattle can and some AK Interactive colours mixed for the collector ring and exhaust to give a light burnt appearance (hopefully).

IMG_8086_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8092_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8106_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8090_HEIC-L.jpg

The SBS resin Engine and Cowl which was a proper little kit in it's own right.

IMG_8058_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8059_HEIC-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 49

What a truly fantastic finish you've got there Duncan B, and as others have stated above, that engine looks top class and real enough to fire up!  I've got one of these in my quite ancient of stashes so I'll be digging the kit out soon... 😉 Many thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

I've just had to go back into this to drool over that fantastic build and finish....how you got such a perfect circular finish on those rivets around the cowling and also the bolt heads on the engine crankcase are beyond me...obviously my elderly eyeballs need a change! Bravo Sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Xirurg said:

Great build!
What color EZLine did you use? As far as I know they don't have grey or silver.

It's white EZLine coloured with an Aluminium Oilbrusher, if you haven't heard of them check them out on the Ammo by Mig website, they have quite a range of different colours and are great for adding weathering effects etc.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, I'm pleased that so many folk seem to like it.

Duncan B

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Duncan B said:

This started out as a quick build of a simple enough kit........then I started adding things! The SBS resin engine and cowl that took longer than the actual kit to make but I also added some photo etch from the AIMS set intended for the Roden Gladiator. I elected not use the PE rigging though (I basically chickened out) so used EZLine instead.  The Aerocraft decals, which I ended up using, are slightly out of register in places which is a shame and they tended to stick where they landed regardless of how much water etc was on the surface. They looked like they were going to silver too but they settled down nicely in the end.

The kit itself is quite a simple kit and would be ideal for a first time biplane build as the top wing slots perfectly onto the struts without any worries. The surface detail is nice and the cockpit is good enough for what's visible so it gets my thumbs up as an easy project for someone who isn't interested in counting Gloster type rivets. Painted using Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the rattle can and some AK Interactive colours mixed for the collector ring and exhaust to give a light burnt appearance (hopefully).

IMG_8086_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8092_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8106_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8090_HEIC-L.jpg

The SBS resin Engine and Cowl which was a proper little kit in it's own right.

IMG_8058_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8059_HEIC-L.jpg

Duncan B

brilliant Duncan.I love the collector ring colour.. i'm not an expert on Gladiators but by jove it looks stunning. The subtle contrast is really nice.. well done indeed. Im very impressed by this build. I have a spray can of the Tamiya AS-12 too and was planning to decant it. You've shown me it will look brilliant. Thank you for showing this. It's top quality work imho. Thanks . Andy

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Glorious!

I do remember seeing yours when you posted it and thinking it looked nice. The Roden kit looks like it has the edge on finesse of the details but I suspect the Merit kit was the easier to build. I have the PE Rigging set for the Roden kit and still have some decals left over so maybe I'll get around to one some day.

I wish I'd stuck to my plan and painted the prop the same as you have, it really does look much better than mine. I actually had the blades painted cream and the cap silver but wanted to get finished in a hurry so ended up just painting it brown all over.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I do remember seeing yours when you posted it and thinking it looked nice. The Roden kit looks like it has the edge on finesse of the details but I suspect the Merit kit was the easier to build. I have the PE Rigging set for the Roden kit and still have some decals left over so maybe I'll get around to one some day.

I wish I'd stuck to my plan and painted the prop the same as you have, it really does look much better than mine. I actually had the blades painted cream and the cap silver but wanted to get finished in a hurry so ended up just painting it brown all over.

Duncan B

I'm still regreting not painting the prop my first choice of plain black all over.

And I am very envious of your faultless silver finish, that is lovely. After being dissapointed with how course the Tamiya XF16 came out that's an area I need to pull my socks up in. Hopefully I can get the Supermaine Napeir S5 as smooth looking as your Glad!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

I'm still regreting not painting the prop my first choice of plain black all over.

And I am very envious of your faultless silver finish, that is lovely. After being dissapointed with how course the Tamiya XF16 came out that's an area I need to pull my socks up in. Hopefully I can get the Supermaine Napeir S5 as smooth looking as your Glad!

I usually use AK Interactive's Xtreme Metals for NMF, it's very easy to spray and covers well but Tamiya's AS-12 from the rattle can works well for a silver painted look (doped Aluminium).

Duncan B