Something went well this year....Lots of aeroplanes from WW2 to the present day!

Alan P

Don't want to look back too far as 2020 has been a horrible year in most respects, but I will remember it for the most prolific modelling year of my life, and hopefully never to be surpassed!

First completed build was a bit of a shelf-sitter which was finished in February:

tn_IMG_20200214_155941

1/32 Trumpeter Bearcat, nice kit and an impressive model!

tn_IMG_20200307_160452

Next came this very colourful Mustang, a much-modified 1/32 Revell P-51D for the Mustang STGB

tn_IMG_20200313_152125

Following hot on its heels came this ancient Monogram 1/72 F-82G for the same STGB 

tn_IMG_20200319_123757

The 1/32 Hunter FGA.9 was finished soon after, a build I'd botched a couple of years ago but I managed to finish successfully. A beautiful kit by Revell and highly recommended.

Then came the lockdown in March - 9 weeks of beautiful weather and enforced modelling time (boohoo!) I was lucky enough to keep my job and went back to work in late May

tn_IMG_20200403_172615

First completion of the lockdown was an Airfix Vulcan B.2, a commission build for a work colleague who flew it into Duxford for its last flight.

I spent the rest of lockdown in the Britmodeller groupbuilds - first, In The Navy:

tn_IMG_20200419_120629

Probably my favourite build of the year, the 1/32 Kinetic (Academy) F/A-18D Hornet. Loved building this, and it came out really well!

tn_IMG_20200505_114645

Straight after that came its big brother the 1/32 Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet, a surprisingly satisfying build given its terrible rep (it's not that bad!)

I then switched to the Spitfire GB:

tn_IMG_20200512_191111

This was the gorgeous Airfix Seafire FR.47 in 1/48, a real peach of a kit i can't recommend more highly.

Next up was the Kit You Built As A Kid GB, which was this forgotten gem of a kit:

tn_IMG_20200509_130902

1/72 Airfix P-51B Mustang, using the original kit decals (dating from 1977!) Lovely little kit for a fiver from Kingkit and worth twice its age in nostalgia for me!

The 24-hour Blitzbuild GB came next with the ambitious project of building a 1/48 WW2 kit with a resin cockpit!

tn_IMG_20200524_093658

I was very proud to finish this excellent HobbyBoss P-38L Lightning in 24h and 36m of continuous building. It has a full resin cockpit and didn't need a single bit of filler anywhere.

Unfortunately the groupbuild wheels came off when I went back to work, suffered two hand injuries including one nasty one with a drill bit :yikes: and the rest of the year ended in fits and starts with a much-reduced build rate!

tn_IMG_20200708_105137

Discovering I suddenly love P-38s, this 1/32 Trumpeter P-38L was next to be finished, one of the best models I've ever made. Very proud of this one!

Somehow I still managed to finish three more models just working odd weekends:

IMG_20201019_145659

This NHS-themed 1/32 Revell Hawk was built for a competition, including hand-painted rainbow stripes and self-printed decals.

tn_SHAR (5)

Another super little kit, the 1/72 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1

And finally...!

tn_PXL_20201212_180442506

The old but still very good Monogram B-25J Mitchell, finished as the PBJ-1J warbird Devil Dog from the Commemorative Air Force.

It's been a helluva year, but the one really bright point has been the unprecedented completion of no less than 14 models in one year - 5 more than my previous record!

Hoping you all have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year, and much to look forward to and enjoy in 2021! :cheers:

All the best,

Alan 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done ! :clap:

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

What a beautiful collection. Modelling of the highest quality. Bravo.👏

Thank you very much, gentlemen 😊👍

On 12/17/2020 at 12:44 AM, pacificmustang said:

What a super year for you Alan, modelling wise.  Excellent builds too

Bruce

On 12/17/2020 at 8:22 AM, Dunny said:

Some lovely work - congratulations. Both the P38s are superb!

On 12/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ernst said:

Great collection, I love the metallic finish and the handpainted rainbow.

Cheers,

Ernst.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, stevej60 said:

Magnificent collection Alan.

Thank you all very, very much. 🍻

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a stunning collection and great builds the Hornets and P38s look great.  The old Airfix mustang, can I ask was the clear disc with the Kit or of your own work?   I remember dome kits having them back in the day.

Great work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, the disc was just cut from a yoghurt pot lid using a rotary cutter. I do remember some older kits having them as well!

Thanks to you all again,

Alan

• Like 2

What a great collection Alan and I hope that your hand is OK now,..... it certainly didn`t affect your modelling!! Your friend must have been made up with that lovely Vulcan?

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a great collection Alan and I hope that your hand is OK now,..... it certainly didn`t affect your modelling!! Your friend must have been made up with that lovely Vulcan?

Cheers

Tony 

Thank you very much indeed Tony 👍 my hand is fine now, thanks for asking 🙂

The Vulcan went down a treat with its new owner! A very happy chap he was, and it led to some more commission work which was also nice.

All the best,

Aaln

• Like 1