Birmingham Bus

OK being as my bus attracted so much attention elsewhere, rather than hijack Perdu's thread, here it is. For those who were asking about the paint I use Hycote car sprays. I can't remember exactly which ones they were, but basically a cream and a dark blue!

And yes I know about the typo! I'm not from Brum even if my mam is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

Lovely model Wolfie! I remember seeing it at Gaydon (I think) a few years back. Remember you telling me that it was modelled on the bus that your mum used to take to work each day.

I had a look to see about making a Reading Corporation one from my home town but then discovered that they never ran Routemasters so that put paid to that idea! I think that they ran Dennis buses that looked slightly similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Lovely model Wolfie! I remember seeing it at Gaydon (I think) a few years back. Remember you telling me that it was modelled on the bus that your mum used to take to work each day.

I had a look to see about making a Reading Corporation one from my home town but then discovered that they never ran Routemasters so that put paid to that idea! I think that they ran Dennis buses that looked slightly similar.

You are absolutely right Noel. It was built as an 80th birthday present for my mam so it would have been in 2016. It represents the bus she took to work in the 1950s. They were never Routemasters neither, but I don't care, it looks like a Brummie Bus! And she likes it...85 in April!

• Like 1

I like that, I like that a lot.

Now...hmmm...the complete set of Edinburgh Corporation double deckers of the mid '60s - spent a lot of time on them. Not sure of the body builders, but they had Leyland, Guy and Daimler chassis and they all looked different. Very partisan livery as they were painted in Hearts colours!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Natter said:

Much more interesting that the red London buses, and beautifully built.

Couldn't agree more on both counts!  This colour scheme makes it look more like the older, pre-Routemaster double deckers to my eye & thus far more of a period piece.  However, perhaps that is because as someone who has lived in London previously, I didn't know that anywhere else had used the Routemasters & thus always associate an open rear platform red double decker as a London bus and since it wasn't that long ago that they were finally phased out, I don't see the red London ones as especially interesting. 

Lovely model Wolf, very nostalgic for me as I used to get these to school in Brum in the early 70’s; it was pretty rare to see one this clean though, or so it seems looking back over so many years now.

sorry to be pedantic though but the Pype Hayes - Tyburn route was the 28;  the 79 ran from West Brom to Wolverhampton.

Edited by johnny akes

On 12/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, johnny akes said:

Lovely model Wolf, very nostalgic for me as I used to get these to school in Brum in the early 70’s; it was pretty rare to see one this clean though, or so it seems looking back over so many years now.

sorry to be pedantic though but the Pype Hayes - Tyburn route was the 28;  the 79 ran from West Brom to Wolverhampton.

Well said that man!