New 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc

tonyot

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Tony, mine is in the post and SWMBO is outside yours in her pinnie holding a rolling pin in a menacing manner!!!

Don't look out if the window!!!

Great work fella

Chris

LOL,..... curtains closed in that case!!! Cheers bud,.... you`ll love it,... really nice, simple kit of a much needed variant,..... we need a 1/48th one now and I think that Eduard are heading to close that hole too,.... sorted!! You can even convert it into a Seafire Mk.IIc or even III quite easily!  

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The camo is looking great, @tonyot

Looking forward to mine arriving.....Xtradecal X72318 looks like it has some interesting schemes!

All the best,

Mark

Cheers Mark,.... yeah looks like an interesting sheet,.....the 249 Sqn Malta aircraft should have Azure Blue undersides mind you! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Might be a tad late into the build but I'll follow for the remainder of the thread

Fill yer boots and welcome aboard!

Nice work on her, Tony! Great, just what I need - another Spitfire kit! I only have about 30 or so in various states, from barely opened, to fully built and partially painted. And then there are the ones that were completed but have become a bit broken up that I need to repair/rebuild. Oh well, it's only time, isn't it?

Regards,

Jason

P.S. You should have at least gotten a free kit out of helping Airfix, Tony. For shame! Just talking to Arma Hobby about their kits got me three free kits (two Hurricanes and a Yak-1B)! Bless 'em!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nice work on her, Tony! Great, just what I need - another Spitfire kit! I only have about 30 or so in various states, from barely opened, to fully built and partially painted. And then there are the ones that were completed but have become a bit broken up that I need to repair/rebuild. Oh well, it's only time, isn't it?

Regards,

Jason

P.S. You should have at least gotten a free kit out of helping Airfix, Tony. For shame! Just talking to Arma Hobby about their kits got me three free kits (two Hurricanes and a Yak-1B)! Bless 'em!

Thanks Jason...... I think most of us are the same re Spitfire`s..... but this is a Mk.Vc and it is lovely so well worth getting one! Yeah I`ve helped Arma with research and received kits from them in return,..... good blokes. Airfix have got in contact with me after seeing this and are sending me a couple of kits,... so all is well now!

8 minutes ago, Astir8 said:

Sounds a nice kit. A sobering thought that the list price of £9.99 is 100 times the price of the last 1/72 Airfix Spitfire that I bought (2 shillings).

Aye thats progress I suppose,....... mind you the kit is so much better than an old Airfix Spit too!  

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Airfix have got in contact with me after seeing this and are sending me a couple of kits,... so all is well now!

To be honest I think that’s the least they can do. Along with the good General, I can’t think of another modeller who has the ability to influence so many others to purchase Airfix kits. I’m glad it’s now sorted. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

Wow Tony, a speed build indeed, if the detail is the same as the Tiger Moth I recently looked at then it's good. A pity Airfix didn't give you a few for your efforts.

Was toying with the Tiger Moth but not art the equivalent of 80 Quid!

That's a large decals sheet for a commercial kit, probably something you'd expect as am AM sheet.

You ever considered going the airbrush route?

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

To be honest I think that’s the least they can do. Along with the good General, I can’t think of another modeller who has the ability to influence so many others to purchase Airfix kits. I’m glad it’s now sorted. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,...... well that is very nice of you to say so mate. 

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Tony, a speed build indeed, if the detail is the same as the Tiger Moth I recently looked at then it's good. A pity Airfix didn't give you a few for your efforts.

Was toying with the Tiger Moth but not art the equivalent of 80 Quid!

That's a large decals sheet for a commercial kit, probably something you'd expect as am AM sheet.

You ever considered going the airbrush route?

Colin

Cheers Colin,...... yeah the Tiger Moth is lovely mate,.... I`m just building my third 1/48th one,..... I gave up on the 1/72nd one as the wing struts kept snapping when I was trying to rig it,..... really brittle. 

The sheet that I am using is after market mate,.... from DK Decals,...... it isn`t the kit sheet! I did state that I was choosing a different option from the kit mate,... honest! The kit decal options are shown on the box lid.,... SAAF & USAAF.

Airbrush,.... not really mate,.... I don`t have the proper facilities for one,..... especially as I model on a small table in the living room,..... it just isn`t viable, plus I enjoy brush painting.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Hiya Folks,

A bit more of an update,...... got the painting finished,..... with Humbrol Medium Sea Grey on the undersides,.... although I`m not fully convinced that was the actual colour,..... it could also be the Sky Blue or Azure Blue that they were delivered in? Judging by the camouflage pattern,....and from first party sources that I have read,..... it looks as if the MU in India has received the aircraft in desert finish, then kept the dark colour of the new scheme in the same location by covering the Dark Earth with Dark Green and then the Middle Stone with Dark Earth! Of course,.... later on the Dark Earth areas were retained and the only the Middle Stone areas re painted with Dark Green (and when the later Mk.VIII aircraft arrived in Day Fighter Scheme the Dark Green areas were retained and the Ocean Grey areas were repainted with Dark Earth!) ,.... but in 1942-43 many of the MU`s were still running along pre war lines with regular officers and NCO`s in charge and often common sense can be lacking in these SNCO`s offices shall we say,...where `orders is orders' and all that. It has come in dark there,.... so will go out dark there,..... don`t want to upset the apple cart and put the promotion at risk by using common sense! Pilots waiting for their aircraft to be repainted often complained that it took forever for them to be done and many Mk.VIII`s arrived at the front line still in desert colours as a result,..... I wonder if it was the case with Mk.Vc`s too?

Anyway,.... here is the model,.... I`ve also drilled out small holes behind the exhausts,...... the pipe for the gun heating which led from the rear of the exhausts and through this hole was often removed in the Far East judging by reference photos,.... so to replicate this the holes were measured out using the kit parts which include this pipe,..... and then drilled. Alternative exhausts are provided and so `ll be using the set without the pipe,..... I might just trim a small bit off the mating surface,.... but not too much.;

DSCF9243.jpg

DSCF9244.jpg

DSCF9245.jpg

DSCF9246.jpg

And then a coat of Humbrol gloss vanish was applied, ready for the decals;

DSCF9252.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Mark,.... yeah looks like an interesting sheet,.....the 249 Sqn Malta aircraft should have Azure Blue undersides mind you!

Thanks for the heads-up, Tony - typical as it was that one that caught my attention in particular :) I see you built the KP Spitfire Vc as JK879/T*B of 249 Sqn last year in this scheme. How was the DK Decals Malta Aces set? There look to be some brilliant schemes on there!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Tony - typical as it was that one that caught my attention in particular :) I see you built the KP Spitfire Vc as JK879/T*B of 249 Sqn last year in this scheme. How was the DK Decals Malta Aces set? There look to be some brilliant schemes on there!

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark,..... it is no problem, you can still build the 249 Sqn Spit from that sheet,..... just add Azure Blue undersides! The DK Decals Malta Spitfire`s sheet is brilliant mate,..... so much choice,..... I can thoroughly recommend it nd it is very well researched.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Airfix have got in contact with me after seeing this and are sending me a couple of kits,... so all is well now!

That's brilliant news Tony

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

I agree completely with Dave, no one else gets me into anywhere near as much trouble as Tony, he keeps making me buy these kits!!! Long may it continue too.

If they are reading this I am going to say  1/24 Tigermoth please Mr Airfix, please.

Lovely painting Tony, looks great.

Chris

• Haha 2

Crikey, she's a beaut, Tony! I have two on the way from the big H that I pre-ordered, but after seeing how nice it looks, I might have to spring for some more! As usual, your flawless use of the hairy stick! Stay safe and healthy, my friend! (Now, if the Beaufort isn't far behind...) :like: :worthy:

Mike

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's brilliant news Tony

I agree completely with Dave, no one else gets me into anywhere near as much trouble as Tony, he keeps making me buy these kits!!! Long may it continue too.

If they are reading this I am going to say  1/24 Tigermoth please Mr Airfix, please.

Lovely painting Tony, looks great.

Chris

LOL,.... Cheers mate! 1/24th Tiggie,.... I`m with you there! Hopefully Airfix will have some goodies lined up for us RAF/RN modellers next year,..... looking forward to the already announced RAF Bucc and Vulcan too,... and of course,... the BEAUFORT,....YAY!!.  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Mark,..... it is no problem, you can still build the 249 Sqn Spit from that sheet,..... just add Azure Blue undersides! The DK Decals Malta Spitfire`s sheet is brilliant mate,..... so much choice,..... I can thoroughly recommend it nd it is very well researched.  

Cheers, Tony, that's brilliant! I think I might have to opt for the DK Decals Malta Aces set after all - there are just too many great schemes on there! The SEAC set looks really good as well..... I'm not sure I've ordered enough kits :) 

And that's great news about Airfix, as well - all credit where it's due!

The camo is coming along really nicely - I've hardly ever managed to get anything like as good a finish with a brush!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Crikey, she's a beaut, Tony! I have two on the way from the big H that I pre-ordered, but after seeing how nice it looks, I might have to spring for some more! As usual, your flawless use of the hairy stick! Stay safe and healthy, my friend! (Now, if the Beaufort isn't far behind...) :like: :worthy:

Mike

Thanks Mike,.... I wouldn`t say flawless mate,...... but I try my best! Without a doubt this is the best 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.Vc mate,..... so easy to build too,..... I shall be building many, many more! As for the Beaufort,...... oh I`ll be building a few of those too! 

Yeah sty sfe and healthy yourself too bud,

Cheers

Tony

4 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Cheers, Tony, that's brilliant! I think I might have to opt for the DK Decals Malta Aces set after all - there are just too many great schemes on there! The SEAC set looks really good as well..... I'm not sure I've ordered enough kits :) 

And that's great news about Airfix, as well - all credit where it's due!

The camo is coming along really nicely - I've hardly ever managed to get that good a finish with a brush!

Cheers,

Mark

No worries Mark,.... yeah Airfix saw what I wrote here and realised their mistake,... which is fair enough,.... it was apparently due to staff working from home?  The DK Malta and SEAC Spits are definitely well worth the relatively high price as you get so many options and unlike some decal manufacturers I trust the research too and know they go the extra mile and always use photo references, plus the background knowledge of the subjects are very good too. 

Glad you like the Spit,..... the thing is with a brush,..... it takes a lot of practice and if you don`t do it for a while you begin to struggle,.... a bit like all hand to eye things I suppose like shooting etc. I try to keep ticking along but I do struggle if I have a break from modelling,

All the best

Tony   

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, tonyot said:

No worries Mark,.... yeah Airfix saw what I wrote here and realised their mistake,... which is fair enough,.... it was apparently due to staff working from home?  The DK Malta and SEAC Spits are definitely well worth the relatively high price as you get so many options and unlike some decal manufacturers I trust the research too and know they go the extra mile and always use photo references, plus the background knowledge of the subjects are very good too. 

Glad you like the Spit,..... the thing is with a brush,..... it takes a lot of practice and if you don`t do it for a while you begin to struggle,.... a bit like all hand to eye things I suppose like shooting etc. I try to keep ticking along but I do struggle if I have a break from modelling,

All the best

Tony   

I know what you mean, Tony, although since returning "to the fold" earlier this year I haven't actually finished anything yet (!) I've been determined to airbrush as much as I can (with my 25+ year old Badger single action!) and brush paint details only - to (hopefully) avoid disappointment as they say in retail circles :D - so I have nothing but admiration for anyone accomplished enough to brush paint to the standard you do!

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your workbench :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

As for the Beaufort,.

Of course, I like the P&W Twin Wasp-powered versions the best...even if there isn't a choice of engines/cowlings/props in the kit, I think I can cobble them up from my resin detailing parts stash, or hopefully an aftermarket outfit is already tooling up for that conversion. (Why do I always seem to fall in love with an airplane that has either no decals  or conversion parts available?) BTW- my first Vc will be a four-cannon No. 2 Squadron kite! I do love the Flying Springboks!

Mike

• Like 1

Brilliant insight Tony,  several things, one is your original reference to watching the Professionals. I admit I watch it religiously on ITV4, reminding me of when I was a young reservist soldier using the same weapons. I even looked at the paras, considering I'm Irish...... well you know. A friend joined. 

As for Airfix, as you know they are not faceless people. They know you, as indeed we know you. You may not like it but you're a bit of a guru on aspects of the Spitfire. Yes I know that whirring sound is Edgar spinning in his grave. 

Airfix, the humans in Airfix, know your input sells their products. 

On that point I'll buy one or more of those Spitfires. 

Job done. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I know what you mean, Tony, although since returning "to the fold" earlier this year I haven't actually finished anything yet (!) I've been determined to airbrush as much as I can (with my 25+ year old Badger single action!) and brush paint details only - to (hopefully) avoid disappointment as they say in retail circles :D - so I have nothing but admiration for anyone accomplished enough to brush paint to the standard you do!

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your workbench :) 

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Bud,..... welcome back to the fold. 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Nice progress on the kit and nice to hear that Airfix have sent you a couple of kits.

Thanks mate. Yeah they are on their way apparently. 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Of course, I like the P&W Twin Wasp-powered versions the best...even if there isn't a choice of engines/cowlings/props in the kit, I think I can cobble them up from my resin detailing parts stash, or hopefully an aftermarket outfit is already tooling up for that conversion. (Why do I always seem to fall in love with an airplane that has either no decals  or conversion parts available?) BTW- my first Vc will be a four-cannon No. 2 Squadron kite! I do love the Flying Springboks!

Mike

Me too Mike,..... I did try to fight the corner for the Mk.II and Aussie versions,..... but they wanted Bristol engines to tie in with the Blenheim and Beau,..... shouldn`t be a hard conversion to be fair. 

Yeah I like the 3 Sqn SAAF version,.... thing is I have both kit options in 1/48th scale already,.... don`t forget the red tips to the tailplane and have a look at the head on photos,.... could be Azure Blue carried over the leading edges or even yellow for i/d purposes. I`m not sure whether the wing tips are red on DB-R either,.... it is hard to tell? That was a 1 Sqn SAAF i/d marking.!  

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBH-on-missi

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBH-on-missi

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBR-JKxxx-on

SAAFspit5.jpg

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBP-Sicily-I

Now this one looks as if the Middle Stone has been covered with Dark Green,.... as was common in Italy after 1943. If it was grey and green it would most likely have signs of a Sky fuselage band;

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBT-JG721-Pa

Palata, Italy 1943

And a rather nice one with shaded codes which I tried to get Airfix to do,.... but we could not read the name under the windscreen!;

spit-v-poss-vc-db-v-jl115-1943.jpg

If you like SAAF aircraft these decals are worth checking out,.... some nice subjects,.. although AX-A & AX-B should be in desert colours!

https://www.avalondecals.com/index.php/2019/05/21/7019-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vc-viii-ix-in-saaf-coming-soon/

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, noelh said:

Brilliant insight Tony,  several things, one is your original reference to watching the Professionals. I admit I watch it religiously on ITV4, reminding me of when I was a young reservist soldier using the same weapons. I even looked at the paras, considering I'm Irish...... well you know. A friend joined. 

As for Airfix, as you know they are not faceless people. They know you, as indeed we know you. You may not like it but you're a bit of a guru on aspects of the Spitfire. Yes I know that whirring sound is Edgar spinning in his grave. 

Airfix, the humans in Airfix, know your input sells their products. 

On that point I'll buy one or more of those Spitfires. 

Job done. 

Cheers Noel,.... didn`t realise you were ex TA mate,.... yeah all the old weapons, SLR, SMG, 9mm etc,..... ITV4 has some good stuff,.... I like the Sweeney too! You should have gone for Para,....  but know what you mean,...... it was quite tough at times with my surname too, but hey,.... character building eh? Worst one was when my Troop Staffy was a staunch orangeman  and my Troop OC had just failed P Company mind you,..... in I stride,..... wings on my arm and a Catholic, Southern Irish name and family,..... it didn`t get any better either! 

Yeah Airfix are good eggs,...... I help quite a few companies with research and have dropped quite a few for taking me for granted,..... all I ask is a credit and a kit/decal sheet,.... and when they start to take the piddle,..... I just don`t bother anymore. No names no pack drill. 

Spitfire guru,....me? No mate,.... I try my best but I`m nowhere near the same class as people like Edgar was,.... now he was class! 

Glad you are buying a Spit,.... you`ll love it.

Chees mate

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Yes mate. Loved the Sweeney too although I couldn't believe London was so lawless. Little did I know. 

I wandered into a London recruiting office once. The Recruiting Sergeant took one look at me and said 'Have you considered Sandhurst?', No, I said. Well you should. Not sure even now if that's a compliment. You might have a view...... 

Didn't work out. I was Irish army reserve but a lot of my comrades went on to the British army despite the times. But I believe the British army was always an equal opportunity employer. I really wanted to join the RAF though. 

As for Airfix. I think we here think they are a faceless corporate bureaucracy. But I suspect they are enthusiasts like us.. 

Sounds like it. 

Be grateful about your Irish name, mine sounds bloody German. ☺️

• Like 1