New 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc

tonyot

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Nice, Tony.

I think the one I'll be doing is hes second one, with the fern on the rudder. I also fancy a Darwin Spit and a Seafire LIIC.

Rgds

Martin

All good choices mate. Xtradecal have done Weggery`s Verna June II with light blue codes when I think they should be white,..... DK Decals have that one on the  SEAC Spits sheet. 

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

Just got mine!

Great job Tony - that's the option from the DK Decals I was thinking of doing. it looks very nice.

Cheers Ed,.... yeah good choice,.... but then there are so many good options on that sheet. At least it had an Aussie pilot,...... a bit of interest for you, he was engaged to a Scottish Lass,... hence the thistle,... and he named the Spit after her, They married after the war I believe? 

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

Nice!!!! Now for the long wait for this kit to make it to Oz...

Thanks Simon,.... I`m sure they will be there soon and will sell well,... lots of RAAF Spit V`s to model! I did try to convince Airfix to include an Australian based option.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Simon,.... I`m sure they will be there soon and will sell well,... lots of RAAF Spit V`s to model! I did try to convince Airfix to include an Australian based option.

May be in a subsequent boxing? Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Tony,

I've been following this thread, my God, don't you work quickly!

This thread has been really encouraging, I'm just waiting for the Post Office to deliver my two kits so I can unite them with my DK Decals sheets, I think one will have to be built as a Malta based aircraft, the other will have to be built as an SEAC aircraft.  Looking at your work, I think I'm going to have to buy more.

Well done on the finished kit, really impressive stuff and subtly weathered, hats off to you sir!

• Like 2

Another beauty Tony but then we expect nothing less this thread has been a revelation so much info & a lot of fun too she looks great well done 

I'm off to start another Seafire Controversy what colour are the Irish ones really?  but I will leave that until after Christmas for everyone's sake it's been a bad enough year already 😆 

Glad Airfix acknowledged your contribution & if the rumours are true and it is two seaters next year look forward to watching you put them together too.

Have a Merry safe peaceful Christmas 

regards

Eamonn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Great looking Spit Vc Tony. Can't wait to get my hands on some when they come to NZ

Cheers mate,.... hopefully they will be with you soon,.... worth the wait anyway! 

5 hours ago, SimonL said:

May be in a subsequent boxing? Fingers crossed.

We can but hope mate. The decal options are almost limitless.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Tony,

I've been following this thread, my God, don't you work quickly!

This thread has been really encouraging, I'm just waiting for the Post Office to deliver my two kits so I can unite them with my DK Decals sheets, I think one will have to be built as a Malta based aircraft, the other will have to be built as an SEAC aircraft.  Looking at your work, I think I'm going to have to buy more.

Well done on the finished kit, really impressive stuff and subtly weathered, hats off to you sir!

Thanks Wez,....  very kind of you mate. I`m hopefully off to pick up a few more today myself,...... a Malta aircraft is almost obligatory! 

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another beauty Tony but then we expect nothing less this thread has been a revelation so much info & a lot of fun too she looks great well done 

I'm off to start another Seafire Controversy what colour are the Irish ones really?  but I will leave that until after Christmas for everyone's sake it's been a bad enough year already 😆 

Glad Airfix acknowledged your contribution & if the rumours are true and it is two seaters next year look forward to watching you put them together too.

Have a Merry safe peaceful Christmas 

regards

Eamonn

LOL,..... what are you like! I almost had hate mail after writing my articles in SAM for the Irish Seafire III & Spitfire.T.IX re the colour scheme,.... people were saying Dark Slate Grey but I personally think it was Interior Grey Green,....... note I say `PERSONALLY' before I get more hate mail!!!!

2 seater,.... that is the first I`ve heard,..... must confess I`d prefer a Fairey Battle or Anson,..... but hey! 

Merry Christmas to you and yours too Eamonn,

All the Best,

Tony 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tonyot said:

personally think it was Interior Grey Green,.......

I've always thought that, it's what it looks like to me

• Like 3

Two big ticks from me as well Tony, a great build and thread with the usual excellent additional detail and reference material. I hope Airfix doubles their production run as I see many of these kits flying off the shelves. 
Cheers and thanks for posting here.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, SimonL said:

Nice!!!! Now for the long wait for this kit to make it to Oz...

Lovely work, Tony. 

Couldn’t wait, so ordered direct from Airfix. Arrived last week & worth the wait. 

• Like 3

On 12/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, tonyot said:

Keep at them Tony, after all they do owe you... and while you're at it, how about a 1/48 'C' wing for their otherwise very good 1/48 Mk.VB?

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, tonyot said:

..... I thought that I might get a freebie from Airfix considering the time and effort I put into the colours and markings,

I am sure they appreciate your work...........

Looking into my spycam at Airfix Santa's North Pole base, I can see them loading the co-ordinates of your chimney into the Crystal Ball Sleigh Navigation System and preparing a big box to drop!

I did try to convince Airfix to include an Australian based option.

With all those DK Decals examples there is not much point in Airfix doing that.

• Like 1

That looks great Tony. Must say I'm quite relieved that it built up so well - not have done so would have disappointed many of us and been damaging for Airfix. But it really looks the part to me, so with all the marking options to choose from (including for Seafires) I'll need to get a couple!

Justin

• Like 2

On 16/12/2020 at 00:58, tonyot said:

LOL,..... curtains closed in that case!!! Cheers bud,.... you`ll love it,... really nice, simple kit of a much needed variant,..... we need a 1/48th one now and I think that Eduard are heading to close that hole too,.... sorted!! You can even convert it into a Seafire Mk.IIc or even III quite easily!  

Cheers Mark,.... yeah looks like an interesting sheet,.....the 249 Sqn Malta aircraft should have Azure Blue undersides mind you! 

Azur blue or sky blue ??

Alain

• Like 2

Azure Blue.  There are references to sky blue but these seem to be as a more general description rather than a specific paint name.  The use of Sky Blue has been said to have been a feature of Castle Bromwich built Spitfires, but again this is in doubt.  However the early Mk.Vc were Supermarine built therefore Azure Blue.

PS  There's some evidence that at least the early Spitfires in SEAC also had Azure Blue undersides.  It is pretty impossible to tell it apart from Medium Sea Grey in b&w images, but the latter colour is only confirmed from a later instruction.  Which does not rule out an earlier use of MSG, but I think that my 607 Sq Mk.Vc will have AB undersides if only to make it different from my Mk.VIIIs.

One possible way of telling MSG from AB (probably) is to look at the green areas.  If the Spitfire has been repainted from a Day Fighter scheme it will have the Dark Green around the cockpit area and the underside will be MSG.  If the area is Dark Earth then it will have repainted from a Desert Scheme and the underside will be AB.  Assuming that they weren't totally repainted anyway in which case who knows?  Nobody for sure.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

Azur blue or sky blue ??

Alain

I usually find a good `rule of thumb' for Spitfires is Sky Blue for those with A1 Type roundels,..... and Azure Blue for those with C1 Type roundels,....... now it isn`t scientific,..... but works for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I`ve added some pics of the interior to the main build,..... using the interior of my 2nd model!

DSCF9367-NEW.jpg

DSCF9365-NEW.jpg

I t might help people reading the thread in future?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Excellent! The separate cockpit side walls look well detailed - it all looked really good when I checked my kit. How was the overall fit?

What are the markings of the second one going to be?

Cheers,

Mark

PS I'm really going to have to start on one of my kits, now! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent! The separate cockpit side walls look well detailed - it all looked really good when I checked my kit. How was the overall fit?

What are the markings of the second one going to be?

Cheers,

Mark

PS I'm really going to have to start on one of my kits, now! :)

Fit was great,.... goes together like a glove. 

Markings will probably be for an Italian based aircraft,...... we`ll see,

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Tony, I am very excited mine arrived today, so once out of quarantine I will be able to open upand take a look.  

Quarentine,..... ah,.... I sort of cheated with mine and sprayed the box and contents with anti bacterial cleanser! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

I usually find a good `rule of thumb' for Spitfires is Sky Blue for those with A1 Type roundels,..... and Azure Blue for those with C1 Type roundels,....... now it isn`t scientific,..... but works for me. 

I usually use sky blue for my "first period" of Malta's Spitfire with A1 roundels

Alain

• Like 2