Fw190D-13 - "No, the other one..."

Hi all

You wait ages for a D-13, then two turn up at the same time ;) 

This is my attempt at D-13 '>>' - photographed at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia at the end of the war, unservicable, partially stripped and (I believe) with the engine/power egg removed.  There are two (possibly three) recorded D-13s, one is 'Yellow 10' and this is the other one.  There is also a pic of a burnt-out wreck which was identified as a D-13, but doesn't really give much away.    Considering that 'Yellow 10' and '>>' had consecutive W.Nrs (836016 and 836017), the differences in finish are quite stark, even without Yellow 10's field-applied camo.  Anyway, here we go.  Bonus cat picture also included for free...

3XsHh2d.jpg?1

eTpxz3Z.jpg?1

oQ4ttxj.jpg?1

9U45Jcf.jpg

jSJRYvQ.jpg

evU4HYt.jpg?1

T4Rz3Td.jpg

EMA90wp.jpg

• Like 27

Neat build of a very attractive subject!

Most late-war Luftwaffe aircraft were pretty worn and dirty.

May I suggest some weathering effects, especially around the engine and landing gear, for even greater realism?

PS. The cat looks like it's about to devour your Fw-190...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Neat build of a very attractive subject!

Most late-war Luftwaffe aircraft were pretty worn and dirty.

May I suggest some weathering effects, especially around the engine and landing gear, for even greater realism?

PS. The cat looks like it's about to devour your Fw-190...

Thanks Roman :) 

Re the weathering, the D-13s would only have been in service for a few weeks before the end of the war and it's questionable how many flight hours they actually logged given the fuel situation, so I guess weathering would have been minimal.  I did forget to add some powder to the wheels though.. ;) 

Cat is in RLM81 and not to scale :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

That's very nicely done, the kit parts looks good too (HBB seem to have had their A Team work on their Fw190D series). What brand of paints did you use for the late war colours?

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan :) 

The HB Doras are certainly good kits and the fit is predictable and reliable.  I used a mix of Vallejo and Mig for the paints.  Vallejo RLM76 for the underwing and fuselage sides.  The power egg is in Vallejo RLM82.  Mig RLM83 (which I see as a good match for brown RLM81) over the cockpit and Mig RLM82 (slightly paler shade) behind.  Wings are Mig RLM82 and Vallejo 'dark gull grey' which I used instead of RLM75.  Metallic under-wing panels in Mig 'steel' - I guess the panels were actually dural in reality.  I'd probably go for slightly darker wing colours if I was doing it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Is the other one my one? Or am I being presumptuous 🤔

Very nice work - love the scheme on this and it does look nice and sleek clean. Top notch. 

Thanks KM - Firstly, congrats on a superb D-13 yourself.  The way you finished that is sublime.  One of the reasons I took on '>>' - rather than Y10 - is that I simply could not do Y10 justice, as you have done :)  

Technically, I suppose '>>' is actually 'the other one' as Y10 is obviously a well-documented and much-discussed aircraft - and for good reason, as it is a fascinating and rare subject whose provenance can be traced right back to the factory.  '>>' is probably less so, as there is only one pic known to be in existence, with only the tail/rear fuselage in view.  See below: 

DYp9ob1.jpg

The only other reference for D-13s is the wreck in this pic here, which is, apparently, also a D-13 although the WNr is not clear, but it does appear to begin with '836'.  Either way, I used the reference to D-9 401381 in that pic as a paint guide, rightly or wrongly.  Whenever someone invents a time machine, I'll be in the queue.. ;) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Beautiful piece of work, the cat looks ready to attack your beautiful model. I hope that was averted, well done 👏 

Thanks Homer!  The cat is far too good-natured to attack anything - even the local wildlife.. ;) 

• Haha 1